Unconfirmed information from the OXM coverage

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, but I doubt everyone has the habit of saving at such a point.

2. Stag

Stag Guest

Far be it for me to defend Bethesda, but doesn't/can't that make a more real rping experience, in that thinking like the character you want yields a better or more true build?

3. Jabu

Jabu It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 5, 2008
    The "growing up"/character determination seems pretty cheesey and unneccessarily convuluted, not to same incredibly lame.
    I hope that's not what they had in mind when they said "immersive".
    Why would you want to press a button to cry or say "dada"? Is this an RPG or an "immersive" infancy simulator?

The slow detioration of weapons I can live with (but I'd prefer not to) if indeed its slow, and you can actually use a gun for a realistic amount of time, say 2-3 years of use, not just pointless roaming.

What's with the Chinese riffles that keep on popping up? Major plot theme involving China?

And how is it that they got this totally new rad pip-boy? You could explain it with the different set experimental conditions of each Vault... but I doubt they will.

4. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    Why is it whenever they mention a body part being blown off, its always that of a mutant ?

5. HoKa

HoKa Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 23, 2007
    A public radio in the wasteland...

Just fucking ridiculous. What a bunch of lazy assholes.

6. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Bull.

Read Dr Bloodmoney and tell me this concept is ridiculous or anti-retro.

Au contraire. 't fits very well. If done right.

7. Moving Target

Moving Target Mildly Dipped

Oct 25, 2007
    Not really. Without getting too far into it, the basic problem is that you're building a surrogate self, based in what you think about yourself, not necessarily who you really are (whatever that means.) You're basically playing your self-image. And you can miss a lot when you do that, or exaggerate other aspects.... and so forth.

Though starting a character in mind with the question "What would you do?" is a good guide, it shouldn't be the guiding principle of character creation. Which is what happens in the "questionaire" style of character creation.

8. bloody hypocrite

bloody hypocrite First time out of the vault

Mar 7, 2008
    Just got it

Hey folks,
    I just picked up the April OXM at Barnes & Noble. It doesn't look to promising. The dialog does look like it's a recruit-type deal, not a sample of an in depth conversation. As for the rest... hmmm. BrotherNone, I'll try and scan them and send them to you so that you can have the honor of fatman-ing this fish in a barrel. They even have Todd Howard call it "Oblivion with Guns" at one point. (although he does go on to attempt to justify it) Humorous stuff.

9. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    It's kind of hard to screen cap dialogue. Best way is to do a walkthrough of an entire section of dialogue, but obviously Bethesda isn't going to do that.

Cheers, mr hypocrite. Not going to post full scans here, but I'll do a complete summary and prolly put up the screenshots, even though Bethesda won't like that.

10. Bodybag

Bodybag Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 7, 2008
    The pictures in the OXM mag look way better than what I imagined when reading various previews released so far. That one pic of the BOS dude lighting something up with the minigun is (believe it or not) pure Fallout. I'm sure there's plenty of details to nickpick for those with a keen eye and/or an axe to grind, but basically everything here looks so good I'm having a hard time remembering that Bethesda is supposed to be screwing everything up.

Who knows, maybe the game will be so godawful that it won't even matter how much it looks like Fallout, but for now, I have no choice but to give it a

11. Jabu

Mar 5, 2008

Perhaps the radio transmitions can be made to fit the setting, but why put a radio receiver on a pip boy (by original design) if you know they aren't going to be playing much anytime soon. Maybe for communication inside the vault, but that would definitely be done on different wave lengths than standard radio.

Plus why is there no pip-boy picture engraved on the portable itself? :(

I can only wonder how ol' red head would look on model 3000 of his handy little vacuum tube computernator. (That's another thing, there seem to be no vacuum tube on the pip boy of the screens released).

12. Jabu

Mar 5, 2008
    But again the paladin's armour looks like Oscar Grouch's real estate wet dream, brought to life. (For those, understandibly, not in the know, that was a refrence to Sesame Street and trash cans).

13. Dougly

Dougly It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 13, 2007
    No SPECIAL number crunching?

I hope I'm misunderstanding this... Does this mean that we won't be dumping individual points into ST, PE, EN, CH, IN, AG, and LK? That, instead, we'll just "choose" some of those elements to be "good" at, without any specific numeric value assigned to them?

EDIT: Never mind. Based on the actual pictures, I'm obviously mistaken.

14. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
  15. Jabu

Mar 5, 2008
    BN are you seriously up at this hour, in Holland? :shock: :clap:

That's one dedicated fallout fan.

16. bloody hypocrite

bloody hypocrite First time out of the vault

Mar 7, 2008
    Hey BN,
    you should have all the scans now, sorry it took so long. Cheers.

EDIT: Leiden, eh? Years ago I used to lived in Wassenaar and Schevening. Back in the US these days.

17. Jiggly McNerdington

Jiggly McNerdington Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 14, 2007
    God damn. Those pictures are pretty blurry, but they're giving me one hell of a nerdgasm. Especially http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/TaylorBurk025/?action=view&current=DSCF2185.jpg that one. Most of the info sounds good too. The character creation system sounds pretty fun, and I doubt it'll take much time. Even the starting sewer of Oblivion you can run through in probably 10-15 minutes with no real trouble. And like others mentioned, I highly doubt they won't let you pick skills yourself, it'll just offer a suggestion.

Still wish they'd release a couple movies, say, one with a full conversation with one NPC, and one showing combat, but still. Looking pretty good.

18. xdarkyrex

xdarkyrex Vault Senior Citizen

Aug 28, 2006
    I gotta say though, i honestly love their pipboy design.

and the pic looking like a boy and his dog is superb. The environment in that pic us epic.

19. Bodybag

Bodybag Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 7, 2008
    Yeah, not my captures, just the best I can do in the interim. All of you should go out and get the mag when it's availiable, even if you're just going to loiter in the shop and read it, the pics really nail the look IMO. Yes, even the garbage can BoS armor.

You don't like the ghoul, BN? I think it looks fine for a "feral" variety, and actually reminds me of Set a little. RPGs need rats and zombies, Fallout 3 seems on pace to comply with that so far.

What do you guys think of the dweller walking off into the distance with the dog (forgetting for a second what the dog's name may or may not be)?

20. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    Those are promising looking pics, too blurry to give final verdict. Dont still like behemoth though.