Unpopular Opinion and Discussion thread

Is this poll pointless?

• Total voters

R.Graves

Confirmed Retard
Pretty straightforward. What are some of your unpopular opinions that you hold? Discussion encourages as I ld hate for this thread to just be a series of bulleted lists. I don't feel like making too long a list right now so I'll probably update the OP.
  • I think The Hangover 2&3 are good sequels.
  • I think kick ass 2 is just as good as the first.
  • I think Superman III is the best of the Christopher reeve Superman movies.
  • Supes killing zod isn't that big a deal. I'm more upset that there's no proper Clark Kent anymore.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: on stranger tides is a good movie on par with the first one.
  • Joe dirt 2 is not that bad and neither is Superman IV
  • The Force Awakens is a terrible sequel (would've been great as the first installment In a full continuity reboot tho')
  • Tim Burton's planet of the apes isn't that bad. Just really forgettable
  • AMC's The walking dead is horrible
  • The amazing spider-man is actually good and does some things better than Sam raimi's Spiderman movies
  • Men in black 2 is good.
  • Oblivion, like morrowind, is a great game with huge flaws
  • Skyrim isn't the devil it's just really really meh.
  • Fallout 2 is considerably lesser than fallout 1 and New Vegas.
[*]The sopranos is just OK
[*]Weeds (the TV series) was great the entire time.
[*]David Croneberg's the fly is a goddamn masterpiece and people don't talk about it enough.[*]Terminator 3 is a good terminator movie.
[*]Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull is a solid sequel.
[*]Jurassic park III is just as good as the first. But for different reasons
[*]The Friday the 13th reboot was better than 90% of the franchise
[*]Jason x is the best Friday the 13th
[*]Jersey girl is a good movie
[*]The first and sixth saw films are legitimately good films.

Last edited:
I don't think Michael Bay deserves as much hate as he gets (his films are awful, but at least enjoyable).

I really like the Mass Effect Trilogy, in fact, I'll say it is the best IP created in the last 10 years and despite my doubts, I'll probably pick up Andromeda eventually.

I enjoy Metal Gear Solid 4 & 5, but think the series should have stopped with 3.

I enjoyed the bad episodes of Twin Peaks and film, plus James isn't as bad as everyone says he is.

I don't like what Disney are doing with Star Wars.

I think Avatar is a pretty bland film which drags on for way too long.

Star Wars Episode V is the best in the series, but VI wipe probably always be my favorite.

I don't think 21 pilots are that bad and like a few songs of theirs.

Oblivion isn't a bad game.

Fallout 2 is the worst of the good Fallout games, mostly because of how long the game is (weird complaint, but it lacks the focus of F1) and because its length really shows in Combat.

Marvel Comics are getting worse, but I find them to still be faulty entertaining.

I actually think games are slowly improving and will reach a point where they get better than ever.

World War 3 won't happen anytime soon.

Same. I suppose the film's so far have been "good enough" but when rogue one claimed that the death star's "weakness" was intentional all I could think about was this.

I always thought the era of the old republic was leaugues more interesting than Darth Tyrannus' empire and what comes after.

Fingers crossed for an R-rated Darth bane trilogy of films.

• Dark Souls 1 is the best Souls game, and Dark Souls 2 the best game overall. Dark Souls 3 is mediocre in comparison in both ways until it proves otherwise with the second DLC.
  • Actually find Fairy Tail (manga, only get the OST from the show and never came back) prety good. Find the style and design a lot more interesting than One Piece's. Also a lot like Naruto, the world makes as much sense as it can be asked from a shônen. Many flaws of course, but I've grown on it.
  • Rockstar, Naughty Dog and similar don't bring anything good to the table. They are boring and dull. People go bananas with a giraffe, bloody ace. "Make your own fun" means "we couldn't do our damn job, here we spilled a box of toys, 60$ please". You are a video game, not a movie. Get that right.
  • The Binding of Isaac and Enter The Gungeon are hugely overrated roguelikes. Easy, grindy and obscure on things that really aren't just to pad it.
  • Starbound, plus mods as they are actually supported > Terraria
  • Minecraft is a great game, especially in good community servers with a bunch of plugins. Fuck PvP for the most part.
  • Hate MOBA games as a business model. Equivalent of putting a bucket in the floor and wait for it to be filled with cash, butts and memes. When full, a little update. Rinse and repeat. Kick others off the market by having brighter booty and more kids flaming like motherfuckers.
  • Like Borderlands'... universe. That's why I like BL1 and TFTB a whole lot more. Let's see what do they do for BL3.

Unpopular in regards to opinions I've seen here...

Fallout New Vegas is vastly overrated and given way too much slack for the "best of a bad situation" schtick.

Same. I suppose the film's so far have been "good enough" but when rogue one claimed that the death star's "weakness" was intentional all I could think about was this.

I always thought the era of the old republic was leaugues more interesting than Darth Tyrannus' empire and what comes after.

Fingers crossed for an R-rated Darth bane trilogy of films.

It's not so much I didn't enjoy episode 7, in fact, I kind of loved it and am looking forward to episode 8.

It's just their treating star Wars like marvel and to me, that doesn't make sense.

Why do an Obi Wan solo movie or a Han movie?

It's undeeded. Although I would appreciate an Old Republic series, maybe get a few comics?

Ok here goes:
  • I only mildly like Marmite, I neither love it nor hate it.
  • I actually loved The Force Awakens. I understand why some people don't think it's a good sequel, but I thought it was a brilliant one, and really lived up to the original trilogy.
  • Dragon Age and Mass Effect are the most overrated series' in the history of overrated series'.
  • I don't see why people dislike Anita Sarkeesian, she raises lots of good points in her Tropes series.
  • Skyrim was fairly enjoyable, despite being shallow.
  • I think that proffesional game reviews should be treated as opinion articles above all else. Treating them like they are any sort of metric to judge how good a game is, is ridiculous.
  • Good Graphics and Voiced Characters are killing gaming. Devs are becoming more concerned with shitting out something that looks good and sounds good, then something that works.
  • If someone asks you politely to refer to them by certain pronouns, my stance is that you definitely should do so. It'll make them feel better about themselves, at no personal cost to you.
:hide:

Telltale's adventure games is quite uninteresting to me, too many QTE and i don't like choices exist for the sake of have choices and change nothing.

I think mads mikkelsen is a far better Hannibal Lecter than Hopkins. I like Human Revolution better than the original Deus Ex. Kojima's games are absolute trash.

Unpopular in regards to opinions I've seen here...

Fallout New Vegas is vastly overrated and given way too much slack for the "best of a bad situation" schtick.

I reluctantly agree with this. I love New Vegas, but at the end of the day it's still a first person loot shooter with incredibly shitty shooting.

That is damn long debate that needs its own thread and probably have one (or several), but Fallout 2 have quite some flaws compared with Fallout 1 (main story, balancing the difficulty with so many locations, lack of focus on the main plot, too easy, etc...) but also shine in other areas that still make the game great 19 years later (overall tone, C & C, quest design, great focus in the specific locations, more kinds of plausible post-apocalyptic societies, faction-based reputation, better world building etc...)

I think that Unpopular Opinion Threads are stupid but I'll humor it.
  • Man-made Global Warming is a thing but it is too late for preventative measures to revert the climate. Decisive action is necessary.
  • Intersectionality is a harmful heuristic.
  • LucasArts obsession of perfecting its "No fail state" formula is a big factor on killing Point and Click Adventure games.
  • Day of the Tentacle is a terrible sequel to Maniac Mansion.
  • The Bioshock series is the embodiment of the dogmatic game design philosophies of the modern era.
  • The Bioshock series sucks.
  • Student loans drive up college tuition.
  • Higher monetary denominations would be phased out first.
  • In a lot of ways, Age of Decadence has worse combat than Fallout.
What is popular or unpopular depends on what circle you are from and it doesn't determine the quality of an opinion.

I really like the Mass Effect Trilogy, in fact, I'll say it is the best IP created in the last 10 years and despite my doubts, I'll probably pick up Andromeda eventually.
I think the ending is enough for me to disagree.
I enjoy Metal Gear Solid 4 & 5, but think the series should have stopped with 3.
I don't think that could have worked story wise.
The general opinion seems to be prequels set the bar really low.
I think Avatar is a pretty bland film which drags on for way too long.
I agree.
Oblivion isn't a bad game.
Not an unpopular opinion outside this forum.
Fallout 2 is the worst of the good Fallout games, mostly because of how long the game is (weird complaint, but it lacks the focus of F1) and because its length really shows in Combat.
Direct sequels generally shows off what new tricks they can do with the engine.
Marvel Comics are getting worse, but I find them to still be faulty entertaining.
There are better ways to spend your money.
I actually think games are slowly improving and will reach a point where they get better than ever.
I disagree but I hope that I'm wrong.
World War 3 won't happen anytime soon.
Unfortunately unpopular opinion. People calm down.
It could be better but I don't think that it is overrated.
I actually loved The Force Awakens. I understand why some people don't think it's a good sequel, but I thought it was a brilliant one, and really lived up to the original trilogy.
Dragon Age and Mass Effect are the most overrated series' in the history of overrated series'.
Does anyone actually praise those games for its gameplay?
I don't see why people dislike Anita Sarkeesian, she raises lots of good points in her Tropes series.
She has given too "many damned if you do and damned if you" reasonings.
Skyrim was fairly enjoyable, despite being shallow.
I would agree if the game was 1/5 of its length.
I think that proffesional game reviews should be treated as opinion articles above all else. Treating them like they are any sort of metric to judge how good a game is, is ridiculous.
While I think review score causes a lot of harm, it is inevitable.
Good Graphics and Voiced Characters are killing gaming. Devs are becoming more concerned with shitting out something that looks good and sounds good, then something that works.
I agree but...

If someone asks you politely to refer to them by certain pronouns, my stance is that you definitely should do so. It'll make them feel better about themselves, at no personal cost to you.
Singular they can sound really stupid although I think it is acceptable sometimes. I'm not touching these:
11.jpg

BTW: Chinese he/she/it are pronounced the same way but written differently.
pronoun.gif

It also has plural you but I can't see this working in English.
Languages do evolve but you can't force change. Red Blood Cells are technically not cells but people still call it that. What is normally considered synonyms can have distinct differences in meaning in certain fields.

Good Graphics and Voiced Characters are killing gaming. Devs are becoming more concerned with shitting out something that looks good and sounds good, then something that works.

Hundreds of indie devs, and several bigger studios, beg to differ.

Gaming is more alive and experimental than ever. People are just too pre-occupied with the latest hyped AAA games.

As for my unpopular opinions:
  • Black lives do matter.
  • Womens rights matter.
  • White (and male) privilege is an enormous problem.
  • Mainstream media is the best source for non-biased news. And factual news, for that matter.
  • Too many rich white dudes telling the world what to think on YouTube and other social media.
  • Capitalism is bad.
  • Superhero movies are silly, bad, idiotic, done to death and I want them to go away.
  • The Mass Effect series is one of the best game series ever made.

Last edited:
Hundreds of indie devs, and several bigger studios, beg to differ.

Gaming is more alive and experimental than ever. People are just too pre-occupied with the latest hyped AAA games.

As for my unpopular opinions:
  • Black lives do matter.
  • Womens rights matter.
  • White (and male) privilege is an enormous problem.
  • Mainstream media is the best source for non-biased news. And factual news, for that matter.
  • Too many rich white dudes telling the world what to think on YouTube and other social media.
  • Capitalism is bad.
  • Superhero movies are silly, bad, idiotic, done to death and I want them to go away.
  • The Mass Effect series is one of the best game series ever made.

I agree on a number of these points.
Also, high five on Mass Effect!

I'd say that both genders were given arbitrary roles in society for thousands of years. You could argue for hours about which one got the worse part of the bargain, but women are in the process of coming out of that forced role since a few decades, but men also have to make similar steps to come out of their arbitrary role. Beside, casual sexism toward men is also a thing. I hope progressive movements on gender equality take both genders into account.

The fuck? How is that an unpopular opinion? When was the last time you saw someone seriously argue that black lives and/or women's rights don't matter?
I have seen a few people arguing that women's suffrage (paired with the lack of military service and idleness due to modern household appliances) is the root cause of the DOWNFALL OF THE OCCIDENT and whatnot.

Some stuff that came to mind:
  • BLM is a knee jerk overreaction and veiled excuse to commit property damage over perceived injustices.
  • "White privilege" is a scapegoat designed to shift accountability and responsibility onto someone else.
  • Classism is a bigger issue than racism.
  • Transgenderism should continue to be classified as a mental-disorder in order for them to continue being able to get health coverage to support their drug/surgical costs.
  • Cradle to the grave welfare is terrible.
  • Black flight (following de-segragation) and astronomically high illegitimacy rates are a major reason why the Black community will never get out of its rut.
  • Citizenship should not be granted automatically unless the child's parents have been residents for at least 2 years.
  • I don't think microtransactions in games are inherently bad.
  • Adele is deeply overrated.
  • The current generation of gamers are over entitled when it comes to certain DLC models.
  • The Witcher 3 free-LC was a thinly veiled attempt at PR by trickling out content (that was produced under the game's original budget) piecemeal.
  • The state of Star Wars is abysmal; Fan-service and the yearly cycle will greatly diminish the franchise.
  • Boba Fett is a stupid character and doesn't need his own spin-off movie.
  • Rey isn't a mary sue ;).

• Black lives do matter.
  • Womens rights matter.

I'd hardly call those unpopular, at least where I live anyway.

Though you always get the odd twat.

White (and male) privilege is an enormous problem.

Indeed.

The Mass Effect series is one of the best game series ever made.
Yeah I'm quite fond of the Mass Effect games. They're not perfect, especially 2 and 3 but I still enjoy them.

Ok here goes:
I only mildly like Marmite, I neither love it nor hate it.

Vegemite is better.

If someone asks you politely to refer to them by certain pronouns, my stance is that you definitely should do so. It'll make them feel better about themselves, at no personal cost to you.

From this point onwards, please refer to me as "Your Most Excellent Majesty".

I'm just being cheeky, sorry!

Back