Wasteland 2's opening cinematic

WorstUsernameEver

But best title ever!
Wow that narrator was super bad. Reminded me of Trey Parker narrating South Park. Kind of shows what you're missing when you forgo actual talent like Ron Perlman.

The rest of the actual scripted video wasn't that great either--they should have just done the whole thing in military stock footage like the beginning.

Edit:

found the narration I was talking about:

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Ace. He never was much a fighter, but he fought 'till the end.

Great video, nicely shot and all. I'm kinda annoyed by the narration, at least at moments. But it does set a certain tone to the game.

This is the dark post-apo atmosphere I was hoping for quite a while. Broken society, devastated country and even half-insane scavenger with a lump of human flesh in his mouth. As long as the same tone is set for game itself, it's all right in my book.

meh, burn me for it if you want, but I saw B-Movies with better acting/narrating though. I know I know its just a game and all that shanebambe. But still. After watching this, I just dont get the feeling like its "serious". The footage is awesome, mixing in real footage from nuclear wareheads and such, but as soon as it goes to the real acting ... it somehow ... yeah. Its not really THAT bad. No clue. Just not my style.

kind of makes me agree with the guy that was going on about how w2 had no art direction; i'm sort of starting to feel like w2 was trying to stick it to AAA publishers by proving you could make a game without spending big bucks on aesthetics, and went too far in the opposite direction.

Form Follows Function

No, not a movie, not a B-movie, not even a made for TV movie,

a 3 minute intro to a Kickstarter funded video game that may, or may not, encourage leaving the safe comfort zone of passive stimulus response, as in playing the game.

Where are the Michael Bay 'X-plosions? Where is the 3-D depth of field, the looming tits and protruding dicks -----> coming AT YOU!?!

Sorry, just an intro that most will right click / space bar through after the first saved game.

As an intro, the underwhelmed responses are as valid as any choral variation on the OMFG!!1! sheet music.

As a part of the whole, why the buzz as if the perceived 'quality' is a game maker / breaker?

It may be for mere convenience when individuals state no art direction, but allow my silly idea, if absolutely NO ART DIRECTION was 'it' intended to be art?

So why the talk of art? Another stick to beat a metaphorical rhythm? Have we run out of traditional back handed memes and technicolor invectives?

OK. Talking about artistic vision and tagging value judgements as aesthetics can be useful in analyzing a multi-media presentation for interactive video gaming,

even when as vague as no art direction that smells of sophomore pontification on what is art.

I pinged a Aesthetic-Titian and was told I had NO aesthetic. End of discussion

How can one justify an opinion by merely invalidating a different point of view?

Only on TV talking head politic-os / jour-no's shows , AND THE INTERNET, there be no worthily contrary opinions.

Only the drum beat of no art direction, no art direction.

Is there formal philosophical criteria for quantifying 'quality' of video games, beyond 'units shipped' and !AWESOME! ?

Recall the award stuck on FO-3 for 'writing' and justify serious philosophical mud slinging for commercial video productions in this mass media consumptive age.

Perhaps raising our pinkies and emoting 'aesthetics" could be a useful glass to pour in our opinions about video games.

But after all the hand waving in arcane individualist semaphore , holy Platonic shadow puppets, wake me up for the DaDa-ists! :)

Maybe 'less is more' and we can herp-derp out of any academic self immolation / conflagration via simple syllables like OK and meh! ;)

4too

Form Follows Function...snip...

This is silly. This is a gaming website where we discuss what we think of gaming developments--people are well within there rights to voice there opinions if they view those developments to be poor. If you think that video is en par with Silvio Berlusconi then, hey good for you, share with us what you thought about it. But don't try and belittle people because you disagree with their take.

images.jpg

This is silly. This is a gaming website where we discuss what we think of gaming developments--people are well within there rights to voice there opinions if they view those developments to be poor. If you think that video is en par with Silvio Berlusconi then, hey good for you, share with us what you thought about it. But don't try and belittle people because you disagree with their take.

Doesn't giving opinions involve disagreeing with other people's opinions? You're effectively giving an opinion about his opinion of people's opinions except moaning about it. That's the whole point of this website!

complaining, about people that complain about complaning people.

I love some of the music in the cinematic though, but that pretty much was it for me.

complaining, about people that complain about complaning people.

I love some of the music in the cinematic though, but that pretty much was it for me.

The music is quite good - it's Mark Morgan after all. But it feels a bit "I've heard it all before". Of course, it's another post-apoc game that is similar to Fallout in many ways and has the same composer, so it is all right and completely natural, but I'm hoping we don't end up with just some rehashes of older tunes.

Doesn't giving opinions involve disagreeing with other people's opinions? You're effectively giving an opinion about his opinion of people's opinions except moaning about it. That's the whole point of this website!

Was I moaning? Damn. I just feel there's a difference between "I thought it was bad." ; "Really? I thought it was really good!" And what that guy was saying which to me sounded like "I thought it was bad." ; "You're just herp-derping out of any academic self immolation hand waving in arcane individualist semaphore!" Whatever though, piece be to the world.

The stock footage reminded me of Fallout a bit too much. This is a new game, not a Fallout 4 wannabe.
Then we get some guys with bad makeup looking like Steel Dawn rejects. And a narrator who sounds like a cartoon character. Also, where did they find that wooden box in the middle of the desert? And why are they wasting it on a corpse? Not very practical, just bury the poor soul in a sheet or something...

Kinda crappy intro, sorry. I do like the "Born a man, died a ranger" though. And those ranger badges are pretty sexy.

While I liked the old footage part better, it just screamed Fallout. Maybe that is intentional to lure Fallout fans in, but to me it felt a little too desperate. Although Wasteland is responsible for Fallout existing, the aesthetic of the opening video is Fallout's creation.

It was decent. The only bad part was the narrator. Did he have to sound like a dude doing a fake military sounding voice? It was okay in parts, but overall not that great. Not a deal breaker by any means. Just doesn't measure up to classic intros of the olden days. Honestly, change the narrator, edit in some better stock footage, and then I would call it awesome.

The stock footage reminded me of Fallout a bit too much. This is a new game, not a Fallout 4 wannabe.

It might be more fair to say that this is Fallout that looks like Wasteland. Wasteland shouldn't have to change so that both don't look like each other.

Back