Weeaboos vs Sinophiles: The Final Battle

I didn't think I'd like it, I prefer Kurosawa's samurai shit, but Ikiru is one of the most touching films I've ever seen. Kind of movie that changes your appreciation for life.

Seppuku is even better and more morose. Movie will burn a whole in you.

何で皆が日本語をしゃべってるんだ?

I don't know why we are all speaking Japanese.

Oh wait I want to show off more....

我也可以说中文。可是我觉得学习日语是比较容易。

Personally I think having kanji in Japanese is fine, although I probably am biased since I studied Chinese first and knowing around 1000 chinese characters before you start studying the Japanese ones. It helps to break up the sentence and make it much easier to read. Go and read passages from first year japanese books where the majority of the writing is in hiragana, it trips you up.

The Chinese movie that I like the most is Hero.

if you are talking about shit that moved you...

did you ever see
1 litre of tears

that would make anyone cry like a little baby...

i will admit i shed a few tears, but then im a hardass.

You know Kanji is nice and all that. But fact of the matter is you have an entire generation of kids growing up that do most of their writing on PasaCon and keitai with kanji convertors and are totally dependant on them. Shit, even I can do that when it's laid out in front of me. It's a lot worse than spellcheck for us, because, even if you can't spell you can try and at least get close enough for others to understand.
Kanji if you can't write it, you can't write it, there's no guessing how to spell it out.
Plus, knowledge of Japanese kanji does not really give you a working knowledge of Chinese in even just a written form - forget about pronunciation that fucks everything up - they get the kanji but pronounce it completely different making it nearly impossible to have a basis of similiarity when talking about proper nouns and shit like CHinese names and places in Japanese. It's not that simple. And Korean is a whole different ball of kimchee.

and the whole spelling thing is one of the reasons why there is growing movements to move away from kanji

the computer age is not friendly at all to kanji

as time moves on, it will get harder for people to use kanji to communicate. i highly doubt kanji will still be around in 200 years. i just dont see how its possible.

languages based on kanji are written languages not spoken... the computer age moves on speed and writing kanji just is not going to be possible for much longer.

either its going to be that, or else they will completely move away from writing kanji and only focus on being able to read it. and thats the direction its going now. much less can you write the kanji, but more of can you read it and know how to spell it.

and spelling mistakes can be disasterous.

Kanji is too static, an evolutionary cul-de-sac. The existence of Katakana is proof enough of it's shortcomings.

Besides, you can get laid plenty easy in Roppongi without kanji.

Simplified Chinese... <_<

Anyway, I must laugh at the comments posted by some about how kanji is a dead end.

Please go study Chinese and the history of attempting to turn Chinese into alphabets, therefore Simplified Chinese, and its failure. Please don't mouth off comments like that unless you understand the language.

^^^

they are not alphabets...

at best they could be described as hiroglyphics or pictographs

Starseeker said:
Anyway, I must laugh at the comments posted by some about how kanji is a dead end.

What's the Japanese kanji for Chili Dog?
Helicopter?
Elevator?
Cisco Router?

Trick question, there isn't because Japanese kanji is a static, non-dynamic character set. Nothing has been added to it and nothing ever will in Japanese. It's only spoken on one group of islands that happens to be located on top of a volatile, tectonic fault line that's going to destroy it someday. It is an evolutionary cul-de-sac. Hence the need for Katakana to fill the gap. Why must I repeat this?

Starseeker said:
Please go study Chinese and the history of attempting to turn Chinese into alphabets, therefore Simplified Chinese, and its failure. Please don't mouth off comments like that unless you understand the language.
Slow your roll brutha, who's talking about Chinese or simplifying it?

Cimmerian Nights said:
Trick question, there isn't because Japanese kanji is a static, non-dynamic character set. Nothing has been added to it and nothing ever will in Japanese. It's only spoken on one group of islands
Looks like you're confusing a writing system with spoken language. Kanji cannot be spoken, because it's not a language. It's a way of writing the Japanese spoken language.
Cimmerian Nights said:
Hence the need for Katakana to fill the gap.
Um, why katakana, why not hiragana? Or both kana syllabries side by side, like they are used now, only without the Kanji?

That said, an important argument for script reform is that the Japanese population is aging rapidly and there will come a day when foreign workers will have to be brought in to fill gaps in the labour market. They will inevitably have to learn to write Japanese - a task that could be significantly simplified by abandoning Kanji. This argument doesn't apply to Chinese, though.

fedaykin said:
Cimmerian Nights said:
Trick question, there isn't because Japanese kanji is a static, non-dynamic character set. Nothing has been added to it and nothing ever will in Japanese. It's only spoken on one group of islands
Looks like you're confusing a writing system with spoken language. Kanji cannot be spoken, because it's not a language. It's a way of writing the Japanese spoken language.
I was talking about the language as a whole when I said spoken. I took for granted ...

Um, why katakana, why not hiragana? Or both kana syllabries side by side, like they are used now, only without the Kanji?
Whichever is needed based on the word's origin, as it should. The examples I used would all use katakana due to their origin, no? The point being that Kanji does not accomodate for words like that and never will. I thought my examples were pretty clear on that, being that they drew from the same origin. Hiragana isn't just for words anyway like Katakana, it's a pretty major component of the written language - verb/tense modifiers, article, preps etc. It's the glue that holds it all together. I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion that I want to scrap hiragana from that. The point is that Japanese Kanji lacks the ability to incorporate new, foreign words. Assuming that means Hiraga should be scrapped is a big leap.

Ah, yes. I forgot that you were talking about loanwords rather than script reform in general. My mind just zoomed in on that paragraph, forgetting the previous.

actually CISCO would be written in romaji not katakana

by the end of the first grade, they learn all like 105 hiragana, 105 katakana, 26 romaji, and like 100 kanji

3 "alphabets" and 100 symbols.

thats a hell of a lot imo

and you have to learn the 1-6 "definitions" and pronunciations for those 100 kanji

and know what? the 107 hiragana and the 105 katakana are just different ways to write the same goddamn thing.

and you know what? all of those 310 symbols can be expressed in the 26 romaji.

and...

there are more "letters" in romaji than there are in all of hiragana, katakana, and kanji.

you can express the whole of all 3 in romaji. you cannot express the whole of romaji in any of the 3.

then there is the logical in-consistency in the formation of the charecters. they all stem from the "vowels" yet few of them share charecteristics from the vowels.

hiragana:

51 base symbols, 3 are unused, 48 used symbols. 26 nigori. 33 combinations

you have to learn how to read 107 symbols.

katakana:

49 base symbols, 3 are unused, 46 used symbols. 26 nigori. 33 combinations

you have to learn how to read 105 symbols.

if you want to read classicial japanese literature, you have to learn the unused symbols for both katakana and hiragana.

What, now you'll take my word for it? :P I only lived in Tokyo for 5 years, it's not like I'm pulling this stuff out of my ass you know.

Everything in katakana would best be described as close. All the numbers you just counted out break down into the same kana, which represent a fraction of the phoenetic combinations in english (to say nothing of all the others from other languages using the Roman alphabet as well). Kana is severly limited when it comes to accomodating, which is how Cisco becomes Shisuko - even if they wrote it in Romaji they'd pronounce it such. Zato izu uai Japanisu piporu supiku engurishyu riku zisu.

Back