What could've replaced intelligent deathclaws

Well if they are a real, true people - one with a real history that is able to socially reproduce their way of life - then in some measure they must cease to be this oddball flash in the pan, they become a people, they become a part of history.

Moreover, if they become a permanent fixture, the "Wow" factor sort of wears off, with just leaves us with the silliness. And I don't think they would really add much to the setting, other than "Remember talking deathclaws??"

Finally, from a lore perspective, Talking Deathclaws were explicitly created with FEV, and things created with FEV really should be sterile.
I guess folklore wasn't quite the word I should use. That would be urban legends I'm thinking of. They wouldn't quite become a permanent fixture in society if they choose to keep to themselves. I can't imagine too many people are eager to accept deathclaws into their towns in the first place.

I disagree that they're just silliness. This point is harder to argue because it just kinda comes down to personal opinion, so I'll just leave it at that.

And not absolutely everything from the FEV is supposed to go sterile. That was just super mutants going sterile and abominations having their genitals all mutilated like the rest of their bodies. Wanamingos were made by FEV I'm pretty sure, and they multiply really quickly.

I guess folklore wasn't quite the word I should use. That would be urban legends I'm thinking of. They wouldn't quite become a permanent fixture in society if they choose to keep to themselves. I can't imagine too many people are eager to accept deathclaws into their towns in the first place.

I disagree that they're just silliness. This point is harder to argue because it just kinda comes down to personal opinion, so I'll just leave it at that.

And not absolutely everything from the FEV is supposed to go sterile. That was just super mutants going sterile and abominations having their genitals all mutilated like the rest of their bodies. Wanamingos were made by FEV I'm pretty sure, and they multiply really quickly.
For urban legend status, it just seems inevitable that eventually human expansion will run into them and there will have to be some kind of reckoning with them as a real thing.

It doesn't make sense to me that other creatures created by major FEV exposure would be fertile, that does just seem dumb and inconsistent. Makes the entire flaw with the Master's plan just feel like convenience. You are right that it probably was originally intended that FEV wouldn't make everything sterile, but I think that it should and therefore Sawyer's retcons were good.

There's no indication that Wannamingoes were created with FEV.

For urban legend status, it just seems inevitable that eventually human expansion will run into them and there will have to be some kind of reckoning with them as a real thing.

It doesn't make sense to me that other creatures created by major FEV exposure would be fertile, that does just seem dumb and inconsistent. Makes the entire flaw with the Master's plan just feel like convenience. You are right that it probably was originally intended that FEV wouldn't make everything sterile, but I think that it should and therefore Sawyer's retcons were good.

There's no indication that Wannamingoes were created with FEV.
I'm sure they could encounter them eventually but it's like a random construction team spotting a ghost. I wouldn't believe them. And even if talking deathclaws do become a known thing to some group in the wasteland, it wouldn't change it from urban legend status to the rest of the world.

But even if they aren't urban legends in the year 2500, I wouldn't really mind anyways. Fallout Tactics has some talking deathclaws in their ranks. And while there is no lore explanation as to why they can talk, I still think it's pretty cool.

And the FEV thing doesn't really matter to me that much. I'll just say, the only FEV mutant confirmed to be sterile are super mutants.

Vault Dweller worshiping cult of humans who go out into the wasteland to kill and eat mutants.

Guys, after thinking about it, I've changed my mind again. Partially because a lot of the arguments I made were kinda bad. I think having tons of intelligent deathclaws makes them into less of a beast. It makes them feel too much like dragons. Though having a few here and there, like less than 12 is A-Okay for me! Maybe even give them an eternal lifespan too, at least just Goris.

Vault Dweller worshiping cult of humans who go out into the wasteland to kill and eat mutants.

I can't tell if this is a joke but it's actually a really cool idea. We have those in vault 13 then we relocate all the deathclaws. We could have Goris in Navarro in place of Xarn. You could help Goris escape then find him in place of the robed man outside Navarro. If you speak to Goris there, you could go on a quest with him to help free all the other talking deathclaws being held by the enclave. The few that you rescue on this quest are the only talking deathclaws in existence, less than 12 like I said.

Make some minor alterations to their speech patterns, such as giving them the speech patterns of apes from Planet of the Apes (Spoilers for War for the Planet of the Apes), they can only say things they've heard someone else say already and they have to understand the meaning of the words. Lessen their intelligence to that of teenager or younger (in game they're said to be as smart as a three year old but they are clearly much smarter than that) .

And lastly their offspring aren't intelligent but could be passive towards humanoids and dogs and such.

Would these alterations change anyone's opinion of the talking deathclaws?

Back