What the fans really want!

Serifan

Orderite
Orderite
People lets get real we all know what the fans want and none of this we need turned-based, isometric bullshit this is what we know we all want.

Anyway, I still think it would tie in well with Brotherhood-of-Steel. Plus it would be completely new plot material, which they could tie small bits into FO1. Like have recorded transmissions from the bases and The Glow. Shit, they could work Canada into the plot.

It would be like Grand Theft Auto: Fallout. Who the fuck WOULDN'T go for that?!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=3&c=12&t=12345&p=80

"Yeah... Bethesda have been good to us... And if they do one thing well, and on thing only, Its Try"

I like this one...It sounds like a brainwashed follower of Children of the Cathedral

It would be lovely to drive some wrecked cars (pratically impossible to find) around the desert for hours and hours until we find...

... a ruined building!!! HURRAY! Random encounter! xD

It'll be apparent this game will be modded heavily in some way and/or spawn other projects along the lines of what fans really want.

I have to say that I am in favour of a first-person, real time, exploration based game with heavy emphasis on roleplaying and setting, with particular attention payed to a vehicles. Who says you've gotta have a car, the apocalyptic setting means any vehicle would be preferable to walking... why not a methane powered mini-bike, or a garden tractor, or some homemade contraption?

Game franchises evolve... I enjoy Fallout for the feel of the game, and would kill for an immersive first person game set in it's world. I think it would be the absolute best way to tell a story in this setting... or for a player to make his own. The claustrophobia of the vaults, the vastness of desert spaces... all would be much more evocative in first person.

I'd like to see an ability to create functional tools, weapons, computers etc with pieces salvaged from around the game world. I want a game that gives me the truest feeling of trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, while still being fun to play.

I'm not so hung up on the isometric view.. is it fun? Absolutely. Would I miss it if switching to another style of play meant a different combat system (a cover system style of combat a la "Gears of War" could be seriously cool, and would make ammo conservation an excellent game mechanic) a more immersive gameworld and a greater hands-on experience of the Fallout world? Not even a little bit. I want a game that takes all the best elements of the genre and sticks me right in the thick of it. Make survival an underlying theme of the whole game. Make food and water matter. Make ammunition scarce. Make people suspicious. Make me feel like the world has gone to hell, and I need to make my way through it.

That's what I want, anyways. :)

Oh, for motherfucking christ's sake.
Read some goddamn posts for fuck's sake!

Here's some facts about Fallout:

- The entire game is based on SPECIAL.

- Turn-based combat is an essential part of the P&P feel, which is exactly what Fallout's design is about.

- "Game franchises evolve" is a bullshit argument. 'Evolution'!= improvement.

- First-person view would also destroy much of the artistic feel, not to mention teh *tactical combat*.

Get a fucking clue and argue from *design* and not 'it'd be KEWL!!!!'

BoisBrule said:

Here's an idea: why don't you fuck off to a Stalker, or HL2, or Gears of War fan forum and pander your bullshit over there. Wouldn't it be easier to post your retarded wishlist somewhere where it could actually fit instead of coming here and saying how much you want to completely rape a game which has nothing whatsoever to do with your brainfarts?

Heh...

so, opinions only matter if they're exactly like yours?

I'm a fan of the genre... I'm not married to the game system. I see the "opinions" held about the SPECIAL system... I don't agree.

The title of the thread is "fallout 3 suggestions and ideas".

I'm a fan of Fallout.
These are the things that I would like to see in a game set in the Fallout Gameworld... and are therefore "My suggestions".
These things do not devalue your opinions in the slightest, they a merely my opinions.

Settle down.

BoisBrule said:

I'm a fan of the genre... I'm not married to the game system. I see the "opinions" held about the SPECIAL system... I don't agree.

Your opinion matters if you can back it up. If not, there's no reason to debate it, really.

If your post is just a "what I would like to see", fine, we'll keep it there and pay no further mind to it because it's just what some dude wants to see.

If you have an opinion you want to back up about Fallout's design, the way the industry is now or an inherent inferiority in isometric/turn-based, debate it.

BoisBrule said:
Heh...

No, *facts* matter. In case you hadn't noticed, I cited facts. You didn't. At all.
Your 'opinions' are irrelevant to the actual documented design of the game.

BoisBrule said:
Then you are a moron. A true and utter moron.
Here's a neat little fact: SPECIAL was designed for a *turn-based* implementation. Fallout was designed for a P&P feel *which always includes turn-based combat*. Fallout's combat was originally a model of advanced GURPS combat. SPECIAL was then designed to be a system that could work with the existing *turn-based* combat system.

Your 'opinions' on the matter are duely noted, and thrown out of the window.

BoisBrule said:
The title of the thread is "fallout 3 suggestions and ideas".
No, that's the title of the forum.

BoisBrule said:
I'm a fan of Fallout.
These are the things that I would like to see in a game set in the Fallout Gameworld... and are therefore "My suggestions".
These things do not devalue your opinions in the slightest, they a merely my opinions.
I never talked about opinions, I talked about facts. But apparently you're too stupid to be able to discern facts from opinions.

BoisBrule said:
I enjoy Fallout for the feel of the game, and would kill for an immersive first person game set in it's world.
Mind your words and explain them... Immersive huh? I would like that too, but Fallout is more immersive than Oblivion, for instance, and I would not like to see Oblivion's kind of imersiveness in Fallout 3...

BoisBrule said:
The claustrophobia of the vaults, the vastness of desert spaces... all would be much more evocative in first person.
Well, I'll have to agree with that one, but FPV would only fit exploration mode, because real time first person combat would suck hard... :( For the reasons Sander enumerated.

BoisBrule said:
I'm not so hung up on the isometric view.. is it fun?
In combat, yes it is. In exploration... Well, it depends on your tastes, really... Because it doesn't affect much, I think...

BoisBrule said:
(a cover system style of combat a la "Gears of War" could be seriously cool, and would make ammo conservation an excellent game mechanic)
Except GoW's combat system is not Role-Playing at all... :roll: And detailed tactics are thrown into the wind too...

BoisBrule said:
I want a game that takes all the best elements of the genre and sticks me right in the thick of it.
You do acknowledge one of the best elements of the genre is to be able to choose your every action in combat, right? And create your tactics accordingly to them, too...

BoisBrule said:
Make survival an underlying theme of the whole game.
Survival... Well, what do you mean? Surely not a survival horror... That ain't fallout.

BoisBrule said:
Make food and water matter.
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed when I knew the watter flasks weren't for use :P

DirtyDreamDesigner said:
Here's an idea: why don't you fuck off to a Stalker, or HL2, or Gears of War fan forum and pander your bullshit over there. Wouldn't it be easier to post your retarded wishlist somewhere where it could actually fit instead of coming here and saying how much you want to completely rape a game which has nothing whatsoever to do with your brainfarts?
I guess this sums it all up :P Why do people want to rape the franchise anyway? Isn't S.T.A.L.K.E.R. a good enough game?

BoisBrule said:
I have to say that I am in favour of a first-person, real time, exploration based game with heavy emphasis on roleplaying and setting, with particular attention payed to a vehicles. Who says you've gotta have a car, the apocalyptic setting means any vehicle would be preferable to walking... why not a methane powered mini-bike, or a garden tractor, or some homemade contraption?

Game franchises evolve... I enjoy Fallout for the feel of the game, and would kill for an immersive first person game set in it's world. I think it would be the absolute best way to tell a story in this setting... or for a player to make his own. The claustrophobia of the vaults, the vastness of desert spaces... all would be much more evocative in first person.

I'd like to see an ability to create functional tools, weapons, computers etc with pieces salvaged from around the game world. I want a game that gives me the truest feeling of trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, while still being fun to play.

I'm not so hung up on the isometric view.. is it fun? Absolutely. Would I miss it if switching to another style of play meant a different combat system (a cover system style of combat a la "Gears of War" could be seriously cool, and would make ammo conservation an excellent game mechanic) a more immersive gameworld and a greater hands-on experience of the Fallout world? Not even a little bit. I want a game that takes all the best elements of the genre and sticks me right in the thick of it. Make survival an underlying theme of the whole game. Make food and water matter. Make ammunition scarce. Make people suspicious. Make me feel like the world has gone to hell, and I need to make my way through it.

That's what I want, anyways. :)

Seriously, maybe all these that you "propose" are fun... But why should they be in Fallout 3? It is Fallout 3 which means it has 2 predecessors that are: a)Isometric b)Turn Based c)non-linear etc...

So I wouldn't mind if a game like what you say existed, I might even try it, but I seriously hope Fallout 3 isn't like that. We want a Fallout not a STALKER/HL2/Oblivion combo...

*summon Roshambo*

Or just read this:
Bradylama said:
Fallout was developed to re-create the pen & paper experience, pen & paper games being almost as a rule turn-based. The SPECIAL system is designed for turn-based combat. Use of an isometric perspective is also intentional, because it affects the way that information is conveyed to the player. Designing the game around an isometric viewpoint allows the player to see everything, and enables him to focus solely on the action on-screen instead of having to fight a camera.

Something is better to keep in its original form. Rather 'evolve' into a pile-of-shit.

Fair enough... so why not FP exploration and Isometric combat? best of both worlds? I feel that Fallout could benefit from some truly hairy moments... not knowing what's around that corner until it's too late for example. I would like to see more effort put into making the world feel more "real", I guess. Yes, having every encounter result in a charging monster running at you a la Oblivion would get tiresome, as would the frenetic mono-directional combat of GoW. But to take the best elements of both of those games and tweak them in to something truly original and befitting the FO gameworld would be pretty incredible. Combat in FO, while fun... could have used a bit more strategy, beyond shoot move, shoot move, shoot move...

As for recreating the P&P experience... I thought the P&P experience was an attempt to take real-world, real-time experiences and make them playable sitting around a table? So here we sit, with technology that makes it possible to play one of those roles in real time... yeah it's not perfect, but shouldn't it be the ultimate goal?

and as for calling me names and tossing around expletives... chances are you'd cross the street to avoid me if you saw me coming, most people do. Mind your manners. I did not come in here and start tossing around insults and expletives, nor do I deserve them. if you spoke to me like that in person, I'd stuff your teeth down your throat. I expect a certain amount of childish chest-pounding in internet forums, especially those based around video games, but watch your mouth. I'm not here to disrespect you, I expect no less from you. Your call, you can continue to be an internet tough guy, or you can speak to me like you're in the room with me, your call. I'm here simply because I'm a huge fan of the games, and I'm incredibly interested in where they're going. Fact is, real time FP or turn based isometric game, I'm still first in line when it hits the shelves.

BoisBrule said:
Fair enough... so why not FP exploration and Isometric combat? best of both worlds? I feel that Fallout could benefit from some truly hairy moments... not knowing what's around that corner until it's too late for example. I would like to see more effort put into making the world feel more "real", I guess.

I get where you're coming from. Personally I wouldn't mind that much, I like the classic gaming idea of flexible cameras.

That bit of discussion is moot, though, there should be no doubt that Fallout 3 will have a moveable camera, so you can play in 1st person or 3rd person, whichever you prefer.

the sucky thing being when combat is designed around 1st person. It does make tactical impossible.

BoisBrule said:
But to take the best elements of both of those games and tweak them in to something truly original and befitting the FO gameworld would be pretty incredible. Combat in FO, while fun... could have used a bit more strategy, beyond shoot move, shoot move, shoot move...

Personally, I'm one of the people that's not a big advocate of Fallout's combat system, I thought it was not the most well-balanced and sometimes oddly designed (everyone on the map getting a turn was annoying). that said, I don't think Oblivion-combat-esque elements are the answer.

BoisBrule said:
I thought the P&P experience was an attempt to take real-world, real-time experiences and make them playable sitting around a table? So here we sit, with technology that makes it possible to play one of those roles in real time... yeah it's not perfect, but shouldn't it be the ultimate goal?

Not really. Pen and paper may have intended a lot of things, but it was de facto a transferance of imagination onto paper. This meant a couple of things, including:
a) a total freedom in which each choice you make can not be reversed (or should at least have some consequence)
b) the ascendancy of your character's skills over the player's skills.

You can stand on your head arguing that pen and paper games weren't intended to do that (and I'd disagree, what you're describing is closer to LARPing than p&ping), but no matter the intention, the result was a unique experience, one on which cRPGs were originally based. Take note of that: cRPGs aren't based on the idea of playing a role as realistically as possible, they're based on transferring a unique experience to the computer.

Much like strategy tabletops and almost all of the strategy games.

BoisBrule said:
I expect a certain amount of childish chest-pounding in internet forums, especially those based around video games, but watch your mouth. I'm not here to disrespect you, I expect no less from you. Your call, you can continue to be an internet tough guy, or you can speak to me like you're in the room with me, your call.

I hate to say this, but aren't you the one playing the internet tough guy now?

BoisBrule said:
if you spoke to me like that in person, I'd stuff your teeth down your throat.

Oh, that's a mature sentence to vomit out on a forum.

FP isn't anymore immersive than isometric. It's the design, writing, attention to detail etc that make a game immersive not the view point.

And perhaps you got sworn at because this topic has been covered up the wazzo and yet you come in and post without a nod to what's gone before, without any real arguement for or against, to back up your wishlist.

Fallout was never about being 'real' it's set in a future imagined by a fictious 50's pulp writer, it's not and probably was never intended to be a gritty post apocalyptic simulation but a PnP game experience simulation. Therefor the isometric view also simulates the old tabletop layouts and metal minatures PnP sometimes uses.

Finally isometric was chosen as part of the game's design not because of a lack of technology. As has been stated before going to FP would be a devolution not evolution as FP games pre-date isometric games.

BoisBrule said:
As for recreating the P&P experience... I thought the P&P experience was an attempt to take real-world, real-time experiences and make them playable sitting around a table?
Well. Actually, maybe you are right about that. In the beginning, they were an attempt to that, but it turned out that they gained a charisma of their own, rather than being a pale imitation of reality, and it's that particular charisma we call "P&P feel".

BoisBrule said:
yeah it's not perfect, but shouldn't it be the ultimate goal?
Depending on the genre, yes, it should. Depending on the genre.

BoisBrule said:
And as for calling me names and tossing around expletives... chances are you'd cross the street to avoid me if you saw me coming, most people do.
Those kind of arguments here are irrelevant. Here you're just BoisBrule, not he person who is behind that nick. Now, threatening to hack our PC would be a more relevant threat ;) And I must say I'm a kind of a bruiser myself, but, since I have minor to null hacking skills, I pose no thread whatsoever to any of you ;mrgreen:

BoisBrule said:
Mind your manners.
Well. I don't want to start a flame war here, but I also don't think everybody's attitude here is the best one...

Back