What Will Fallout 76's Failures Mean for Fallout 5?

Reverie

First time out of the vault
The release and reception of Fallout 76 has obviously been … a mess. I’ve even seen a lot of people speculating that it has been such a disaster that we won’t even see a Fallout 5. Considering that Bethesda hasn’t been talking about a Fallout 5 anytime soon, I can see where that is a possibility.

I think it’d be downright foolish to abandon such an iconic property altogether though. This raises a lot of questions. Will a longer break before Fallout 5 help or harm the franchise? What does Bethesda need to do with Fallout 5 and in the meantime to ensure the franchise has a future?

One idea I saw proposed by gaming journalist Matt Morgans at VGR is to hand over development of Fallout 5 to a third-party. He adds, "The process might be even easier this time around, too. Bethesda’s parent company, ZeniMax, now owns Arkane Studios, id Software, MachineGames, and Tango Gameworks; any one could potentially take over development of an interim Fallout title."

Personally, I could get behind this, as that worked out very well in my opinion with Fallout New Vegas.

What are your thoughts?

Source: VGR

I doubt they would drop the IP entirely. Both TESO and Fo76 were unsuccessful attempts on cashing in multiplayer playerbase. They will most likely resume making solo game on both IP... Until their next attempt.

Fallout V won't come out in 2020 as I had originally thought; it might even take 2023+.

I dread for the state of the industry by then. Streaming games will be seen as 'normal', DLC and Lootboxes have won out legally, modders are basically semi-affliated gig workers for companies, etal.

I want them to not make money off Fallout so much they sell it off. Best outcome for everyone.

We probably won't see another Fallout for another 10 years (exaggerating a bit) unless they let another company make it. Bethesda will be too busy with Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls.

I want another Fallout to wash away the taste from Fallout 76, but maybe its a good thing if Bethesda doesn't make another.

We probably won't see another Fallout for another 10 years (exaggerating a bit) unless they let another company make it. Bethesda will be too busy with Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls.

I want another Fallout to wash away the taste from Fallout 76, but maybe its a good thing if Bethesda doesn't make another.
Have you played and finished Fallout 1&2? If you have, then there's Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada TC mod for Fallout 2. They came from Czech and Russia, respectively, but translation to English has been around for a while now. If you haven't played Fallout 1&2, go play them right now.

If you have actually played them all, then I guess ATOM RPG is the closest thing to Fallout made by another developer that we can get in the most recent times.

Have you played and finished Fallout 1&2? If you have, then there's Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada TC mod for Fallout 2. They came from Czech and Russia, respectively, but translation to English has been around for a while now. If you haven't played Fallout 1&2, go play them right now.

Last Hope should be mentioned as well. It has the same amount of content as the other two.

Underrail deserves a mention, though it amps up the psi stuff significantly, you can play the game without using Psi like I did.

The release and reception of Fallout 76 has obviously been … a mess. I’ve even seen a lot of people speculating that it has been such a disaster that we won’t even see a Fallout 5. Considering that Bethesda hasn’t been talking about a Fallout 5 anytime soon, I can see where that is a possibility.

This is nonsense and even Fallout 76 was a profitable release for them. You have to understand that Fallout 76 was not a sequel and that it was done by the Bethesda Austin studio not the studio that typically handles their main releases. They're also in the middle of developing TES 6 which will come before Fallout 5 is on the table (just like Skyrim came before Fallout 4).

I think it’d be downright foolish to abandon such an iconic property altogether though. This raises a lot of questions. Will a longer break before Fallout 5 help or harm the franchise? What does Bethesda need to do with Fallout 5 and in the meantime to ensure the franchise has a future?

I don't think Fallout 76 will have any effect at all on Fallout 5. Fallout is still a big franchise and 76 was a multiplayer spin-off not a main release.

One idea I saw proposed by gaming journalist Matt Morgans at VGR is to hand over development of Fallout 5 to a third-party. He adds, "The process might be even easier this time around, too. Bethesda’s parent company, ZeniMax, now owns Arkane Studios, id Software, MachineGames, and Tango Gameworks; any one could potentially take over development of an interim Fallout title."

Gaming journalists are routinely full of shit. Bethesda will never hand over development to a third-party, not for their main titles.

Personally, I could get behind this, as that worked out very well in my opinion with Fallout New Vegas.

New Vegas wasn't a main title but I don't know why they didn't go back to them for another spin-off unless it wasn't favourable for them for some reason. New Vegas was one of the best implementations in the Fallout series. Obsidian is thumbing their nose at Bethesda with Outer Worlds though.

New Vegas wasn't a main title but I don't know why they didn't go back to them for another spin-off unless it wasn't favourable for them for some reason. New Vegas was one of the best implementations in the Fallout series. Obsidian is thumbing their nose at Bethesda with Outer Worlds though.
Wasn't it just to give them the opportunity to fail at a Fallout title? If they had failed, then Bethesda would have been vindicated; as it was... they could only screw them over on the royalties. But it did seem to me that it was hoping for egg on their face.

They ignored the improvements, IMO likely because they were not Bethesda's ideas. That would have been like getting instructed; from a competitor who not worked it before, but originated the IP.

You have to understand that Fallout 76 was not a sequel and that it was done by the Bethesda Austin studio not the studio that typically handles their main releases.
This is not the full story though. Even though it was made by a different studio, it was still directed by Todd Howard, written and designed by Emil Pagliarulo.

So it was directed, written and designed by people who do the same for their main releases.

And let's not forget that Todd Howard also said that ID Software, Zenimax Online Studios and "other" Zenimax owned studios worked all together to make the game. So it had a lot of talent invested in it. Way more than any other Bethesda game to date.

I want another Fallout to wash away the taste from Fallout 76,
Oi m8 you know what would wash the taste of this shit out of my mouth? What if you just shit in it again?

But seriously though I've said it before. Gamers are retarded. Or more accurately the general public. They don't see games or movies as art or as a product they're paying for but more as just a way to fuck around for a bit. So when a game is bad there's a good chance it'll still have a following because to them they weren't playing a game, they were just killing time.

So chances are by the time fallout 5 hits shelves the general public, unaware of what the franchise could be and has been, will buy it en masse because of a flashy trailer with a catchy old tune.

I hope FO5 will be taking place in west US though, tired of the same fo3/4 area in the east, too boring there.

Or a new spin off really should take place in the west, as it was with FO:NV.

Nothing, because Fallout 76 isn't a main series entry title and has zero impact on actual single-player Fallout games being made.

Fallout 5 won't come until after both Starfield and the new Elder Scrolls, just going to say that. F76 will probably stay alive for a few years, but if it doesn't get a foothold like TESO it'll likely be tossed to the wind and only fan mod support will keep it alive (whenever that's supposed to come). But F76 won't affect main line Fallout titles, just like how Bethesda is still releasing a new Elder Scrolls despite TESO still making money.

It will mean fallout 5 will be Fallout 77
:))))))))

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised.

"Hey everyone complains we fucked up the lore too much by going too far in the future. Everything's supposed to be built up."
"Well, why not have a game set during and around the nuclear war itself? People like that, right? It'll fit."
"Yea...yeah! They can't complain about us screwing the lore if we go to the Nuclear war. Right? Everything gets killed over by a big winter anyway, so it doesn't matter what we do in 2077. And imagine all the tech that's still around, all the survivors, all the factions? The Chinese, the American remnants, Vaults that open after a few months instead of years...We should do it somewhere isolated, maybe Alaska or Hawaii!"
"Genius! zet on it!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back