What You LIKE About Fallout 4

PaxVenire

Wasteland Peacemaker
Inspired by this post on the Fallout 76 General forum, I'm curious to know what you guys liked about Fallout 4. This could be lore wise, concept wise, gameplay wise, mechanic wise, aesthetic wise, anything.

If you didn't like a single thing about the game or haven't played it and don't care to, that's fine too, but I'd ask that you please refrain from bashing the game in this thread unless it's to constructively criticize something you like about the game. For example, I liked the idea of Synths as a new race introduced to Fallout, but not it's execution, and I'll elaborate on that below.

While I know a lot of us have problems with Bethesda's games, we've heard the negatives a million times over, and I'd like to see more constructive negativity than pure animosity.

I will give a list to start off of the things I liked about the game.

• I liked the idea of seeing the Fallout universe in the pre-war era. Though in-game, the execution was lackluster, forced a premade protagonist onto you, and rushed the segment so that you enter the Vault only 3 minutes after you sign up for it, the idea of the protagonist being a pre-war civilian being thrown 200 years into the apocalypse was a rather engaging idea. With some tweaking of the opening to the game, I think a half hour introduction sequence like Fallout 3's that allows you to live pre-war life and perhaps engage in some skill checks roleplaying before the bombs fall would be great. I don't mind tutorial introductions like the Arroyo museum and Fallout 3 vault sequence, SO LONG AS YOU CAN SKIP THEM on subsequent playthroughs.
  • I liked the idea of Vault 111. Harkening back to this video in which Tim Cain explains that the original purpose of the Vault experiments were to prepare humans for a trip to the stars on a colony ship, I think Vault 111 encapsulates that kind of experiment perfectly, though I know it wasn't purposeful from Bethesda. In execution, the Vault seemed to be more of an afterthought to get you to the future, the Overseer's terminal reads like a stereotypical mad scientist talking about his cryogenic pods but that's about it when it comes to that breakthrough of a technology in the game. Not even the Brotherhood of Steel is interested in the fact that a vault holds technology capable of perfectly preserving a man for 200 years. I also think the cryogenic weapon in the cabinet is a bit much, but a Vault who's purpose is to test freezing is very much in line with the Fallout universe.
  • I like the idea of the Minutemen. Settlements around the region uniting together to form a faction of militiamen ready to defend their towns and trade routes is a really cool idea. The execution in-game is not good, I don't care for uniforms like Preston's that look like 18th century colonists and I hate the idea of a laser musket as it seems like too silly of a weapon to be of practical use in a world where automatic laser weapons are accessible. The player being the General is also extremely contrived for the sake of power fantasy, the Minutemen in my opinion should be an established presence, not something you have to build. I also think the idea of the Minutemen belongs in a story that takes place in a much earlier timeline where settlements are just starting to form into a post-war state. I think I could see the West Coast having a similar sort of settlement relationship before banding together as the NCR.
  • I like the idea of Synths. It introduces a cool new race into the Fallout universe to toy with, whether its Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3. Sure Gen 3 Synths might as well just be human, but it gives a new flavor of roleplayability for future entries or tabletop games. Same with Gen 1s and 2s, sure they're just robots the same as the Mr. Handy and Protectron, but it gives the world more variety of robots to be encountered. I personally think the concept of Synths also fit great into the aesthetic and themes of the Fallout universe. In-game, I think they look and sound a bit too silly, however. I think it would be a lot more scary if the Gen 1s looked not exactly but similar to the T-800s and the Gen 2s looked not exactly but similar to the T-3000s from the Terminator franchise.
t-800.jpg t-3000.jpg
  • I loved the Glowing Sea. That area of the game is the only true part of Fallout 4 that looks visually striking to me, the rest of the game being either too vibrant and colorful or too dark in the literal sense where I can barely see. In-game the area feels like the only true dangerous and post-nuclear wasteland in the map. I think the way the ruination was presented in the Glowing Sea is what all of Boston should've looked like. The actual city that was the target of the nukes should've been the glowing sea with settlements building on top of the ruins like Adytum in the Boneyard. It seems the Chinese missed their mark in Fallout 4 and landed their entire payload on the poor town of Medway, MA than Boston proper.
  • I like the Gunners. I think as far as raider factions go in Bethesda Fallouts, the Gunners were pretty cool. In the game's lore, they're ruthless, versed in tactics, well equipped, and disciplined, modelling themselves after the military which to my knowledge their origins aren't talked about much, so they very well could be descendants of soldiers.
  • I liked the concept of the Institute. The idea of scientists going underground and conducting experiments isn't new or groundbreaking in Fallout, but if handled with more care the Institute and their Synths could've made for some great antagonists. I really liked the clean 1970s sci-fi look to the facility. It seemed out of place to me at first for Fallout, and it is, but that's the point I suppose. They were supposed to be one of the most advanced facilities even before the war, so 1970s looking aesthetics being localized to just them is fine with me. Unfortunately the CIT we got in Fallout 4 was nowhere near what it had the potential to be. Their grand plan for making Synths that replace people and spread paranoia, throwing FEV mutants on the surface, killing the Commonwealth Provisional Government, and unfreezing the player character in the first place is what I can really only describe a nonexistent. The whole Kellogg part of the Institute seems extremely careless for such a secretive organization.
I'll try to think of more things I like later, but that's all for now. Wondering what you guys like about Fallout 4 and how you think they could've done better with it.

Last edited:
I like Far Harbor

• I liked the idea of seeing the Fallout universe in the pre-war era.
Hard disagree, I think it's a bad idea almost no matter what. Generally speaking I feel that an over-focus on the pre-War world is the bane of all the 3D Fallouts.
  • I liked the idea of Vault 111.
Agreed, it's a perfectly serviceable vault concept.
  • I like the idea of the Minutemen.
Agreed, I like the concept. Was majorly held back by arbitrarily being the "fallback faction" and therefore devoid of character. Was also made devoid of character by the modular/player built settlement system which was their bread and butter. Not that I have confidence Bethesda would have done the concept justice in either case.
  • I like the idea of Synths. It introduces a cool new race into the Fallout universe to toy with, whether its Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3.
Agreed, I thin they're fine. My favorite are probably the 2.5s like Valentine and DIMA, wholly mechanical synths with seemingly human personalities, though Bethesda could have done more leg work to justifying in light of the state of computing in the setting.

I do also wish that Gen 3's were a bit more mechanical. As it stands they're just 3d printed clones with a chip in their brain. Giving them some polymer internal components would raise the uncanny valley feeling a bit more, and some more artificial portions of their brains would have made the question of their humanity slightly more interesting.
  • I loved the Glowing Sea.
Agreed, I like the vibe of it, but the lack of any kind of diegetic explanation for why it's so fucked up annoys me. I get it, it's post-Fallout 3, radiation from nukes lasts a long time, but given the extremity of the Glowing Sea compared to anywhere else we've seen in the Franchise some kind of firmer explanation would have been in order.

And there's also the obvious problem that they didn't do anything interesting whatsoever with the area.
  • I like the Gunners. I think as far as raider factions go in Bethesda Fallouts, the Gunners were pretty cool. In the game's lore, they're ruthless, versed in tactics, well equipped, and disciplined, modelling themselves after the military which to my knowledge their origins aren't talked about much, so they very well could be descendants of soldiers.
Eh, they're alright. A bit more distinct than the Talon Mercs but not by much.

I do think the game implies they're descended from that vault where they tried to make child super-soldiers, though nothing really confirms it.
  • I liked the concept of the Institute. The idea of scientists going underground and conducting experiments isn't new or groundbreaking in Fallout, but if handled with more care the Institute and their Synths could've made for some great antagonists. I really liked the clean 1970s sci-fi look to the facility. It seemed out of place to me at first for Fallout, and it is, but that's the point I suppose. They were supposed to be one of the most advanced facilities even before the war, so 1970s looking aesthetics being localized to just them is fine with me. Unfortunately the CIT we got in Fallout 4 was nowhere near what it had the potential to be. Their grand plan for making Synths that replace people and spread paranoia, throwing FEV mutants on the surface, killing the Commonwealth Provisional Government, and unfreezing the player character in the first place is what I can really only describe a nonexistent. The whole Kellogg part of the Institute seems extremely careless for such a secretive organization.
Agreed, I like it visually very much, it was a brave choice of art design.

And I do like it conceptually, a race of super scientist mole men pulling the strings is a properly Fallout concept. But of course you'd need to hammer out that vague description into something more specific, ideally try to actually say something with it. If you were a good writer, you could even say the lack of clear direction in their surface meddling is the point as they've tied themselves to scientific positivism without any other kind of grounding, but tht didn't happen, we just got a vague mishmash.

Generally speaking I feel that an over-focus on the pre-War world is the bane of all the 3D Fallouts.

I would agree with this, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the whole "Man out of time" aspect to the protagonist cool. What would you have done differently for the Sole Survivor?

I'd see it like this- Vault 111 is still a cryogenic facility, but instead of 12 randos it houses thousands of frozen pre-war people.
Brilliant scientists, capable soldiers, charismatic leaders and among them your PC of course. All waiting for the right moment to emerge and rebuild the world.

What is the right moment? The Vault computer should decide based on it's readings of the outside (radiation, hostile creatures and human groups). But the outside sensors were destroyed by atomic blast and the computer is blind.

So based on it's calculations on who is most likely to succeed, every 15 years it releases a Vault Dweller from their cryo-sleep. The chosen Vault Dweller has to collect the enviromental data from the other Vaults or Vault Tec HQ and information on other human societies to decide if it's safe to wake up the entire 111.

Game skips the entire pre-war start and begins with you waking up from a cryo pod. You go through the medical examination- choose your skills, SPECIAL, traits and either choose or get assigned a pre-war occupation based on your stats (similarly to how you get assigned a job in FO3 after the exam based on your major skill).

You are informed about your mission and that you won't be let back inside the Vault without the data. You receive the locations of the other Vaults, Vault Tec HQ and Pip-Boys of people that were sent before you and failed.
You get some starting equipment based on your choices during character creation and go out.

The data collection pushes you out to explore the world and get involved into the main conflict of the game, but is not mandatory and you can just leave the Vault sealed (maybe you get an ending that the equipment finally failed and everyone died or the next scout that gets released 15 years after you explores the effects of your choices?).
Could be also interesting to have the ending where you collect the data, but decide that the Dwellers should not be woken up and you get frozen again, while the main conflict resolves itself.

Pre war world would not be shown to the player, but the PC could express some thoughts (positive or negative) about it during certain conversations. The player would choose for themselves if these are really objective or PC is just blinded by nostalgia or other emotions.

The occupation would give you some minor bonus like a perk and could be used in certain situations (for example a cop could have the code to police armory and could access it without hacking) or conversations (that same cop could have access to extra options when talking with ghoul gangsters in Goodneighbor).

No mention of the PC's family. PC can express that they have someone in the Vault (but without details) or not. They also might not care about them and start a new life outside without them (ending the game without returning to Vault).

I'd see it like this- Vault 111 is still a cryogenic facility, but instead of 12 randos it houses thousands of frozen pre-war people.
Brilliant scientists, capable soldiers, charismatic leaders and among them your PC of course. All waiting for the right moment to emerge and rebuild the world.

What is the right moment? The Vault computer should decide based on it's readings of the outside (radiation, hostile creatures and human groups). But the outside sensors were destroyed by atomic blast and the computer is blind.

So based on it's calculations on who is most likely to succeed, every 15 years it releases a Vault Dweller from their cryo-sleep. The chosen Vault Dweller has to collect the enviromental data from the other Vaults or Vault Tec HQ and information on other human societies to decide if it's safe to wake up the entire 111.

Really cool stuff, feels almost like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Game skips the entire pre-war start and begins with you waking up from a cryo pod. You go through the medical examination- choose your skills, SPECIAL, traits and either choose or get assigned a pre-war occupation based on your stats (similarly to how you get assigned a job in FO3 after the exam based on your major skill).

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed about the skipping of a pre-war segment, but I also see yours and Hardboiled's case about the pre-war era being too prevalent. A matter of taste perhaps. However that doesn't mean I dislike this idea. I do like the idea of the protagonist knowing the world they left behind moreso than the player, that way the player can decide through dialogue what their character felt about the pre-war era based on speculation on behalf of the player. Good roleplayability.

Also wanted to mention this is sorta similar to the start of The Outer Worlds which also denies you a look into Earth and throws you into a foreign future far away from the past.

You are informed about your mission and that you won't be let back inside the Vault without the data. You receive the locations of the other Vaults, Vault Tec HQ and Pip-Boys of people that were sent before you and failed.
You get some starting equipment based on your choices during character creation and go out.

Pretty Van Buren-esque with tracking down the Pip-Boys, but rather than finding dead Vault Dwellers, I think it'd be cooler to see your fellow dwellers and how they've fared and why they haven't completed their mission. Perhaps they've become raiders or settlement mayors or are wanderers like you still on their mission and able to be recruited as a companion. Now of course 15 years is a long time, too long for here to be a lot of fellow 111ers, but perhaps it could work by shortening it to 5 years.

The data collection pushes you out to explore the world and get involved into the main conflict of the game, but is not mandatory and you can just leave the Vault sealed (maybe you get an ending that the equipment finally failed and everyone died or the next scout that gets released 15 years after you explores the effects of your choices?).
Could be also interesting to have the ending where you collect the data, but decide that the Dwellers should not be woken up and you get frozen again, while the main conflict resolves itself.

I like the idea of there being a timer with the equipment failing because if not, there really isn't much urgency to complete the main quest aside from wanting a good guy ending on a meta level. Sure you can roleplay having a wife/child/girlfriend/parent/etc. stuck in the Vault if you wanted to give yourself a reason, but the game itself doesn't give any push to do so if the result is just nothing with another sap 15 years down the line taking your place.

Pre war world would not be shown to the player, but the PC could express some thoughts (positive or negative) about it during certain conversations. The player would choose for themselves if these are really objective or PC is just blinded by nostalgia or other emotions.

Agreed, this would be cool.

The occupation would give you some minor bonus like a perk and could be used in certain situations (for example a cop could have the code to police armory and could access it without hacking) or conversations (that same cop could have access to extra options when talking with ghoul gangsters in Goodneighbor).

This would be awesome, really dig this idea.

No mention of the PC's family. PC can express that they have someone in the Vault (but without details) or not. They also might not care about them and start a new life outside without them (ending the game without returning to Vault).

I agree with not having a family forced upon the player, however there still is the matter about urgency that's missing to complete the quest as stated above.

its the first bethesda game where characters have decent asses. the idea of a shy radio host was fun. beyond that not much but then i havent played it in almost 10 years and i dont really care as much about lore and coninuity as i used to. its still probably beyond an acceptable level of contradictions but who knows

I would agree with this, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the whole "Man out of time" aspect to the protagonist cool. What would you have done differently for the Sole Survivor?
I agree with Alphons. No actual glimpse of the pre-War world, you just wake up in media res and then define your character through an exit exam.

Your opening cinematic could be the in Fallout 2 cinematic, showing an instructional film laying out congratulating dwellers, explaining cryogenics, showing how to properly get into a pod, showing how to properly exit the pod, and how to enter the outside world. Camera pans out, you see an ancient orientation room with cheap chairs overturned. Camera pulls back through vault hallways, you see signs of struggle, Vault-Tec skeletons. You arrive at the cryogenic room, and see vast numbers of tubes.

In terms of the exact details of the awakening - I'm not totally sure I agree with Alphons. While I don't like all of the baggage Bethesda applies to it, I do like the idea of witnessing something horrific; a woman murdered, a baby kidnapped by strange figures. But then again, it's kind of hard to tie a firm story to just witnessing something horrible without putting a lot of baggage on a character, IE making it explicitly their child that's been kidnapped. But I do also like Alphons's concept of the Vault computer sending people out to get data to wake up the dwellers. Maybe you could put them together somehow, not sure.

Also wanted to mention this is sorta similar to the start of The Outer Worlds which also denies you a look into Earth and throws you into a foreign future far away from the past.
Come to think of it - Alphons's entire concept of trying to get the data to wake up all of your cryogenically frozen compatriots is a bit similar to the main plot of the Outer Worlds.

Pretty Van Buren-esque with tracking down the Pip-Boys, but rather than finding dead Vault Dwellers, I think it'd be cooler to see your fellow dwellers and how they've fared and why they haven't completed their mission. Perhaps they've become raiders or settlement mayors or are wanderers like you still on their mission and able to be recruited as a companion. Now of course 15 years is a long time, too long for here to be a lot of fellow 111ers, but perhaps it could work by shortening it to 5 years.
Agreed, it's a cool idea. Rather than being a run-away Minuteman (and also a synth), that guy at Libertalia could be a Dweller instead. And, regardless of whether in not you include the "witnessing a kidnapping" element, you'd probably want the head of the Institute to be a Dweller for plot reasons.

I’d just like to throw my two cents in and say that I prefer the idea that we never see the pre-war world, but instead allow the player to describe it through dialogue. Leaves things open to interpretation, especially if we’re given contradictory dialogue options (that could both be true in their own way, just representing different experiences).

And I also like the “Vault computer sending you out on a mission” thing. An idea I had to give greater sense of urgency: what if the computer was an AI, or at least programmed to be adaptive in its methods, and over time adopted certain amoral methods of motivation? Before it sends you out, it threatens to torture/kill your loved ones, which you could specify through dialogue (“My parents?” “My mother?” “My father?” “My child(ren)?” “My spouse?” “My family?” “My best friend?”). Of course, you should also have the option to choose to play a character with no loved ones, in which case you’d just be injected with some slow-acting poison or something, Snake Plissken style.

An idea I had to give greater sense of urgency: what if the computer was an AI, or at least programmed to be adaptive in its methods, and over time adopted certain amoral methods of motivation? Before it sends you out, it threatens to torture/kill your loved ones, which you could specify through dialogue (“My parents?” “My mother?” “My father?” “My child(ren)?” “My spouse?” “My family?” “My best friend?”). Of course, you should also have the option to choose to play a character with no loved ones, in which case you’d just be injected with some slow-acting poison or something, Snake Plissken style.

I dig it, especially the Snake Plissken method. My only thing is if were going by the idea that the computer is blind and genuinely trying to make sure the residents will be safe outside, what would the computer AI gain by torturing or killing preserved vaulters when it’s prime directive is to release them to rebuild what it believes is a barren wasteland?

I dig it, especially the Snake Plissken method. My only thing is if were going by the idea that the computer is blind and genuinely trying to make sure the residents will be safe outside, what would the computer AI gain by torturing or killing preserved vaulters when it’s prime directive is to release them to rebuild what it believes is a barren wasteland?
Well if it were just to threaten a handful of cryo-dwellers, that could still be construed as a "rational" choice - a calculated threat, that when combined with the toxin in your veins it feels fairly confident is guaranteed to compel your cooperation. And it doesn't even have to actually go through with it, it just needs the threat dangling over your head to compel you.

But maybe it's a hat on a hat, maybe the poison should be sufficient motivation. Maybe it could use killing someone close to you (or, failing that, a randomly selected individual) as an additional threat in the 2nd or 3rd act, once you've gathered the data for it but in the process discovered The Big Bad, which the ZAX is now asking you to deal with. Maybe there shouldn't even be a dialogue option to specify the loved one, rather just have the computer tell you that it'll calculate whoever is closest to you and kill them specifically, or failing that it will just kill someone at random.

Also keep in mind, the computer might not be all "there" - 200 years of psychological isolation, physical decay, maybe damage from the vault guards when they were starving, and the possibility that there was some kind of damage/interference from "interlopers".

I think I personally prefer the Vault malfunctioning and killing everyone after a certain time period as the hook of urgency. I do like the idea of a computer AI, but perhaps not a ZAX as it’s a pretty expensive and state-of-the-art computer for a Vault that was simply meant to unfreeze at a certain time and let everyone leave immediately. Perhaps the PC could be unfrozen and given the spiel of the facility’s current status by the AI and how many years have past since their entry, then told that they’re the last shot at saving the people of the Vault before everyone dies.

Furthermore, in keeping with the player character’s title of Sole Survivor, perhaps the climax of the game would have the player return to the vault only to find that the AI miscalculated or perhaps was sabotaged by an antagonistic force and killed everyone regardless similar to Arroyo being destroyed when you come back at a certain point. And by then the game would have transformed narratively from “Save your Vault” to whatever political faction shenanigans you’ve come across like New Vegas.

Last edited:
Piper's fat ass when I mod it.

Also the shooting gameplay when I get realistic damage mod and just wandering about gunnign things down.

Yeah that’s true, it would need to be a full-size fully-populated Vault in order to justify this method, and I don’t know how feasible 1000+ cryo-pods would be.
Maybe it could use killing someone close to you (or, failing that, a randomly selected individual) as an additional threat in the 2nd or 3rd act, once you've gathered the data for it but in the process discovered The Big Bad, which the ZAX is now asking you to deal with. Maybe there shouldn't even be a dialogue option to specify the loved one, rather just have the computer tell you that it'll calculate whoever is closest to you and kill them specifically, or failing that it will just kill someone at random.
Yeah I like this better.

I see your points about the lack of urgency.

But it could be an option to explore the world at your pace.
You have years until the next scout gets released. The other VDs are safe, they don't age and they do not have to worry about what they'll need to eat tonight. And the mission must be dangerous if nobody before you succeeded.

So you explore for new equipment, gather allies (companions or local factions) or go check out the Pip-Boy signals of your predecessors.

Plus as you explore and get involved you might start to ponder about your mission.

You don't have many attachments to pre-war world and you might have started creating to the current one.
You and the people that came before you had to adapt to the new world, as you were all alone.
But if thousands of people like you come out with the intent to "rebuild" and "restore" the old world with their pristine rifles and tools in hand, then they'll easily tear down the new world and force it's denizens to adapt to the old ways.

But what if you didn't release them right now, but in several years when the new world can meet them as equals instead of their superiors. If the old ways could co-exist with the new ones.
Or are you loyal to the mission, nostalgic for the old times and the strife between the locals can be used by your people to restore order to this massive shithole.
Or maybe it's not your place to make that decision and you kick that can down the road.

I liked the guns crafting, but I think it gives you too many options. Turning pistol into rifle or automatic into sniper rifle shouldn't be possible.
I liked the look of power armor, but ability to mix diffrent models should be skill or perk gated or shouldn't be possible at all, also we no longer need to keep maintenance for normal armor but it still needed for power armor? It's just stupid.
I liked how gauss rifle work, but the new design for it is horrible.

I liked the guns crafting, but I think it gives you too many options. Turning pistol into rifle or automatic into sniper rifle shouldn't be possible.

I absolutely agree. I think the weapon mods system in New Vegas was perfect. There was a nice variety of sensical options without it becoming overbearing like Tarkov or any other in depth slav game.

I liked the look of power armor, but ability to mix diffrent models should be skill or perk gated or shouldn't be possible at all, also we no longer need to keep maintenance for normal armor but it still needed for power armor? It's just stupid.

Also agreed. I’m personally not a fan of modular Power Armor at all, and probably controversially, not a fan of the whole Power Armor frame in general. And the removal of weapon and armor degradation was a bad decision. Power Armor in general is very cheap in Fallout 4, just being flung everywhere on the map and with pieces constantly needing repair or the Death Star-esque silliness of the entire thing blowing up if you shoot the Fusion Core.

Here are a couple hot takes.

I like the idea of pipe weapons. I think if done correctly, pipe weapons could make for some great early game weapons, and I think they make sense for a world that’s so far into the future without a good source of manufacturing that they need to resort to makeshift weaponry. Raiders having these weapons make the most sense obviously as they wouldn’t have access to gun merchants regardless. Unfortunately, Bethesda made the concept of pipe weapons a pre-war invention like most of their additions to the lore. And unfortunately the designs are complete shit. The pipe weapons in the game 7 Days to Die looks very good conversely.
IMG_1447.jpeg IMG_1448.jpeg

I also thought the Automaton DLC addition of crafting robot companions was awesome. The DLC’s story was dogshit and the Mechanist dungeon made me wanna blow my brains out, but I liked making robot minions.

Back