Where have the massive amount of fallout fans/hype come from

How did Fallout 4 garner a huge massive falling that it never had beforehand.
In the good old times, without digital distribution or even internet publicly available, we relied on gaming magazines mostly in order to get some informations about new games; now the kids are born with wi-fi routers in their hands and they're sucking up data from Steam sooner than mother's milk! It's only natural that market and customer base is growing every year, sadly it comes at the price of lower complexity of games because they are created for younger and younger audience. Thanks to all pagan gods for indie developers as StygSoft or Iron Tower Studios, we're not abandoned yet!

Hi, new guy here. Just made this account, first post, all that fun stuff. Fallout 3 was my intro into the fallout universe. I was too young to have played the first games, and by the time I was into PC gaming, fallout was considered a relic. Sure, everyone said it was awesome, but it was too much of pain in the ass to get working on Vista. Fallout 3 introduced me to this world, and when GoG put up Fallout 1/2 for free, I grabbed em and played em both. Now that that's out of the way, onto your question.

Skyrim is where all this hype came from. Skyrim was massive, and despite what a lot (most?) of the people on this site may think, it was fun. The numbers show that alot of people really liked it. When you find something you really like, you look at other products that company makes. Fallout is that other product.

I get why you guys hate it. I really do. I felt angry when Bioware changed Mass Effect into a shooter in Mass Effect 2. I cant imagine what it would be like to see a franchise I loved and wanted to be reborn for almost a decade get a new breath of life only to be so drastically changed. But I like the new fallout. I dont mind the removal of the skills system (would have been a bigger deal if the game was more like Fallout 1/2 than it is now), nor do I mind the FPS combat. I dont mind having less weapons, or less perks, or less w/e, so long as the game has respectable lore and is fun.

I was like a baby during Fallout 1/2 were being played it. Found it later and loved it to bits. You don't have to be old to like the games.

Okay, so you seem a bit of a fence sitter in our scenario, and you seem respectful so I won't judge you or be angry at you. I understand that you grew up to an age of simplicity and dumbing down. You know what? That's okay! But please don't mention respectful lore (cough Fallout 3 cough) and the removal of skills. Now it's just another shooter.

Hi, new guy here. Just made this account, first post, all that fun stuff. Fallout 3 was my intro into the fallout universe. I was too young to have played the first games, and by the time I was into PC gaming, fallout was considered a relic. Sure, everyone said it was awesome, but it was too much of pain in the ass to get working on Vista. Fallout 3 introduced me to this world, and when GoG put up Fallout 1/2 for free, I grabbed em and played em both. Now that that's out of the way, onto your question.

Skyrim is where all this hype came from. Skyrim was massive, and despite what a lot (most?) of the people on this site may think, it was fun. The numbers show that alot of people really liked it. When you find something you really like, you look at other products that company makes. Fallout is that other product.

I get why you guys hate it. I really do. I felt angry when Bioware changed Mass Effect into a shooter in Mass Effect 2. I cant imagine what it would be like to see a franchise I loved and wanted to be reborn for almost a decade get a new breath of life only to be so drastically changed. But I like the new fallout. I dont mind the removal of the skills system (would have been a bigger deal if the game was more like Fallout 1/2 than it is now), nor do I mind the FPS combat. I dont mind having less weapons, or less perks, or less w/e, so long as the game has respectable lore and is fun.

You're not completely right. You see, only a minority here is really "bitter" about Fallout moving into the more "shooty" category mechanics-wise. You see, most folks here really like Fallout New Vegas. That's because despite having been made on the same engine as Fallout 3, it has good writing, good world building, some C&C, interesting companions, factions, atmosphere so on and so forth. Why does it matter? Because that's what Fallout is largely about. The difference between Fallout 3(bad game) and Fallout New Vegas(good game) is what the game focuses on. The former is all thoughtless carnage and sightseeing, while the latter is more complex and much deeper.

And Skyrim is indeed a *fun* game. But it's not a particularly *good* game. It's another one of those games where thinking is not necessary and so you can have simple fun in it. It may be fulfilling to some, but not everyone. I myself enjoyed Skyrim, but not exactly liked it. I think it is a fun game, but a "bad" one at the same time.

Bethesda relies on hype, and from what I know the stellar reviews of Skyrim helped set the scene. Skyrim was arguably Bethesda's BIG game that put it on the map.
Bethesda seems very effective at marketing mild, yet boring crap.

Remember how they advertised Skyrim? With live fuckin actors... :D thats Hype with a capital H and YPE.
Before that, FO3 was *the* first computer game appearing on Norwegian tv *with* Norwegian dub. Here, we dub nothing, so the fact that it was dubbed means Bethesda made it specifically for Norwegian audiences, and shipped it allready dubbed (the ad that behaved like a Vault Tec advertisement for shelters and whatnot, it's a while ago now... with mr. Handy robot in the kitchen, and such)

Okay, so you seem a bit of a fence sitter in our scenario, and you seem respectful so I won't judge you or be angry at you. I understand that you grew up to an age of simplicity and dumbing down. You know what? That's okay! But please don't mention respectful lore (cough Fallout 3 cough) and the removal of skills. Now it's just another shooter.

Not quite sure we are into the age of dumbing down.
When Fallout 1 was released and when Fallout 4 will be released, there would be many dumb games and a few deep games. Deep games cost more develloppement time and human skills and rarelly make more money than dumb one. Even when they make the same amount of money, they cost some ressources that many publishers don't want to invest, as they don't provide more income. And quite often, they provide even less income.

Back