Which mods/patches for Fallout 1&2?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Well, when I said tweaks, I meant tweaks to the game play itself (besides cut material), not so much for things having to do with resolution or graphics.

Considering what I am looking for, do I want the Team X patches or the Fallout Update Mod?

You want TeamX patches.
Because Fallout Update Mod is buggy as hell itself and not sutable for a long play at all. And cut materials presented by the Update Mod are far from the completition.
By the way, if GOG sells an european release of the game, you may want a Children Patch as well.
And, may be, F1 NPC mod.

I just reinstalled Fallout 2 onto my computer and I have a few questions that I couldnt find myself sifting through the dozens of pages.

1)Whats the difference between The Restoration Mod and MIB88 Megamod? (Do both fix all the bugs in the game? Do both have all the left out goodness that was supposed to be in Fallout 2?Are they seperate new ideas from two different teams?

2) Is Killaps mod included in both or just the Restoration mod?

3) Do I need any other patches/mods for a complete/new experience?

1) The Restoration Project brings lost content back to the game that was left out by the developers. Megamod just has anything in it that the author decided to add.

2) Well, the Unofficial Patch is included in the Restoration Project, but neither that, nor the Restoration Project is included in the Megamod.

3) No. It's just up to whether to play Restoration Project or Megamod for new content. Or if you just want a bug-free normal experience, then play the Unofficial Patch.

I got Fallout 1 and 2 off of gog.com a few days ago.

Their both working fine. I just want to know do i have to get the unofficial mods and patches or can i play FO1 and 2 just fine int heir official patched form. Ive had a lot of bad luck with unofficial patches screwing games up I'm afraid of something going wrong here.

GanymeDes- said:
2) Well, the Unofficial Patch is included in the Restoration Project, but neither that, nor the Restoration Project is included in the Megamod.

This isn't entirely accurate. It's true that I haven't incorporated the Restoration Project yet. However, I have included most of Killap's bug fixes in the Megamod up to his October 19, 2007 release where they did not conflict with other mods.

Erzeal said:

Their both working fine. I just want to know do i have to get the unofficial mods and patches or can i play FO1 and 2 just fine int heir official patched form. Ive had a lot of bad luck with unofficial patches screwing games up I'm afraid of something going wrong here.

Sure you can. Well... at least you can finish the games!

And if it's your first time, then it's more than recommended to play just with the official patches. It's not that bad.

Erzeal said:

I'd suggest using the latest Team X patch for Fallout 1. For Fallout 2, use Killap's Unofficial Patch (not to be confused with Killap's Restoration Project).

Both those patches work great and fix a ton of bugs without altering the actual game play.

Lexx said:
The file looks ok for me. I can not see any errors or typing misstakes.

I tested something other right now. I extracted all text files from the master.dat into my fallout 2 folder, renamed the german folder to english, opened the fallout.cfg and changed the language from german to english. - If I start the game, everything is ok, if I want to open Mr. Fixit the game crashs. So the error must become because of something else.

/Edit: But there is something very strange. In Mr. Fixit version 1.1 the source is in the archive. There are 4 ssl files and one h file.

- atoi2.ssl
- COMMAND.H
- custstr2.ssl
- OBJ_DUDE.SSL
- test0.ssl

But in the archive there is onyl one compiled script and this is obj_dude.int.
Hi Lexx are you find solution for Mrfix-it for non -English version?
Are you sure - you not apply resolution patch? For my case - this is the reason of the crush.

For getting it to work, I needed to exchange the font files in the /data/ folder. One file didn't includet the needed german umlauts, so the game crashed.

Hi,
I have a problem getting megamod to work under windows xp SP3. I have tried installing unofficial patch first and then megamod and no go. Then just megamod straight away on fresh install of fo2 and no go. Seems like after I install unofficial patch no matter when it works but megamod wont after that.

I have also read in the other thread about the blackouts and how to fix them but these instructions did not help me (eg. disabling hardware acceleration for graphic card etc).

What then happens? When I run the fallout2.exe the window just blinks and disappears.

I am desperately wanting to play this mod. Any one can help me?

-TeNDoLLA

Hello all

I've finished both FO1 and 2 several times in variable ways, and recently have installed back my FO2, but I seek a new experience this time. Can anyone point me to a good quality full reconstruction? I mean, like those mods with a new story and new cities and all.

Fallout 2 - Order of Patches - Mods - compatibility

Please recommend ( or point me to the discussion ) the order to install patches / mods for F2.

Fallout 2 install
Official US 1.02 ( d? ) patch
Fan Patches *** see below
Timeslip's sfall mod to speed things up (http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html)
Fallout2 High Resolution Patch 2.1

*** I am not sure if I want Killapp's bug fix Patch or Killapp's Restoration Patch. The distinction is clear, but I haven't decided which way to play.

Please make your suggestions. Should all of these be compatible?

Dig

I think Killap's Bug fixing patch comes with the latest version of the restoration patch, other than that... I think all of those would be compatible. I have all except for the timeslip one. :)

Fallout 2 install
Timeslip's sfall mod to speed things up (http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html)

I tried them in the above order.

Fallout 2 - Main Menu showed Version 1.0.
Official Patch - Main Menu showed Version 1.2
Killapp's Bug Fix, Main Menu showed Version 1.2525 or something similar
AFTER installing Timeslip's sfall and the new High-Res patch, the Main Menu has version 1.2. I still think Killapp's patch is there, but it concerns me a little.....

Both sFall and Killapp's contain ddraw.dll and ddraw.ini with different sizes and dates. So in the order I installed, I have the files from sfall.

Dig

dig314 said:
Fallout 2 install

I tried them in the above order.

Fallout 2 - Main Menu showed Version 1.0.
Official Patch - Main Menu showed Version 1.2
Killapp's Bug Fix, Main Menu showed Version 1.2525 or something similar
AFTER installing Timeslip's sfall and the new High-Res patch, the Main Menu has version 1.2. I still think Killapp's patch is there, but it concerns me a little.....

Both sFall and Killapp's contain ddraw.dll and ddraw.ini with different sizes and dates. So in the order I installed, I have the files from sfall.

Dig
install Killap's unofficial patch and high resolution patch only.

Don't install official patch and Timeslip's sfall...they are already included in Killap's patch. Timeslip's sfall is a bit changed against the one you can download from Timeslip's site.

i'm not sure about this post i'm making here in this topic , but somebody knows if the traduction unofficial
patch for Fallout 2 in italian language v1.1 is the latest available or there's one newer out there ?

Thanks

^_^

JaW said:
install Killap's unofficial patch and high resolution patch only.

Don't install official patch and Timeslip's sfall...they are already included in Killap's patch. Timeslip's sfall is a bit changed against the one you can download from Timeslip's site.

My question is similar. I would like to install the following patches / mods and I use Win XP.

-Killap's Unofficial Fallout 2 patch v1.02.25 (not sure of the date)
-Sfall v1.44c (dated 6/15/2009)
-High Resolution Patch v2.1 (dated 6/20/2009)

My question is as follows. Both Killap's patch and Sfall include the two files ddraw.dll and ddraw.ini. The dates are different, Sfall being about a year more recent.

Dates:
-ddraw.dll (Sfall: 6/15/2009 & Killap's: 6/5/2008)
-ddraw.ini (Sfall: 6/15/2009 & Killap's: 5/30/2008)

Are the two files ddraw.dll and ddraw.ini in Killap's patch an older version of Sfall or do they have other patches incorporated into them? If they are simply an older version of Sfall, can I just overwrite them with the newer versions from his website (version 1.44c)?

Thank you for your help. It seems like several people have questions about this issue.

Back