Why do people hate Old World Blues?

I was. But now I don't because I am much more interested in post-game national building fanfic :D

OWB techs are absolutely OP and I love that.

From a bunch of chumbuckets who can't use their eyes to look around and be wary of their surroundings, yes.
The amount of whining and bitching I've seen about the speakers is pathetic.
"Oh no, a new gameplay element that forces me to be careful and make survival decisions, wah!"

i never understood why people complained about the speakers or radios or whatever in Dead Money. they were hardly a problem too my 12 year old brain at the time. and hardly a problem still too this day for me.

Its like some of these people do not pay attention to their surroundings.

Granted in other games i am a bit of an idiot even to this day, but Fallout NV was a piece of cake when it came to the radios / speakers or any part of it really.

sometimes i just don't pay attention though like in Mass Effect 3 on my first time playing it i accidentally romanced my shuttled pilot and locked myself into romancing him by being overly nice to him, i didn't even realize what i was doing and that he was gay after i triggered the scene between Shepard and Cortez at the final part of the mission or before the final part or whatever.

Might be a combination of things too. The constant ticking down of health when not inside, the clouds, the ghosts who would only stay dead if you hacked off a limb, speakers, holograms and traps.

But the main thing I heard from others constantly was the speakers.

Even so I think the DLC works great and coming back from it makes the rest of FNV just feel... Structureless.

I don't mind the humour of Old World Blues, and I like a lot of the writing, but the overall gameplay of it just feels a bit meaningless.

Like, it feels like they had ambitious intentions, but fell flat. Like, I really liked the Stealth Suit segment where you're having to avoid detection. I feel if it was a matter of "You unlock a new tool in each lab you visit, and it specifically enhances one of the base game mechanics, which you then haveto put to the test" it would be fun.

Instead the only other major lab is a corridor shooter you're forced to repeat multiple times, so the prior Stealth Suit lab just feels like a wasted opportunity tacked onto what's otherwise corridoor shooting.

The other thing I don't like is the fact that most of the game's content consits of fetch quests. "Go to X, Y and Z location to unlock all of the talking equipment, and their upgrades", especially since only a few of these areas actually have unique enemies.

I thought the hub area was cool, with all the stuff you can do with the talking household devices. Like, you can use the stereo to record new sounds for your Sonic Blaster. Having it so you have an upgradable mountain base that you can use as a base of operations while you decide which area to clear next is great, and having it so as the base upgrades, your equipment does too, is again phenomenal.

I feel like either a lot of stuff was scrapped for time, or otherwise they saw the reception to Dead Money and decided in favour of a more conventional DLC. Either way, I love the idea of Old World Blues, but hate how it actually plays.

I liked OWB it just doesn't have the replay value the rest of the game does. The jokes lose their effectiveness after the 6th or 7th time

Back