Why do think there aren't any Fallout novels?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Sicknessoverload, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Sicknessoverload

Sicknessoverload Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 28, 2020
    I don't understand it myself, there's definitely an audience for it. TES has some novels, so why not Fallout?

2. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    "There is an audience for it" could be said for so many things when it comes to both Fallout and TES. I've long said Bethesda management is incompetent and it doesn't just go for their game design. There are so many things they could milk the ever living shit out of but don't. For Fallout alone they could get smaller studios and produce cRPG's, X-COM style games for Tactics, RTS', simulation games for vaults, comics as All Roads proved, novels as any narratively heavy universe with tons of lore allow. There is like zero reason not to do this. They have long since had the funding for it. They have the studios for it. And it's not like they're worried about the lore becoming a mess by allowing too many cooks in the kitchen considering they themselves fuck it up every time they even lay their sights on it.

Fallout has the potential of becoming something like Star Wars where it can spread its tendrils across the entertainment industry and make itself a proper household name. It has the universe, it has the lore, it has the iconography.

But as I said, Bethesda's management is fucking incompetent. Bunch of buffoons that don't see what they got. All they've managed to do is try to milk it in the safest fucking ways they possibly could with an MMO for ES, a phone game with microtransactions for Fallout, a game that sells out to the chinese because those genocide coins are all the rave these days and finally a sloppily put together multiplayer Fallout 4 with Battle Royale.

They have an amazing IP on their hands and they do fuck all with it.
    Cause they're dumb fucks.

They could throw so many darts at the dartboard that us who despise their work could actually get a proper Fallout game by accident. Instead it's so overly cautiously curated with the sole intent being on what can make the safest amount of money. Milking machine.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Mojave Express Employee of the Month

Mar 16, 2013
    Poor IP Management and the view of Fallout as a "dumb" brand that wouldn't really be suited to books in the same way that RAGE isn't.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  4. ElloinmorninJ

ElloinmorninJ Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 25, 2019
    I’d like to see siem Fallout books, tbh. There’s a lot of post apocalypse to explore

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  5. Jogre

Jogre So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 25, 2015
    I feel like The Elder Scrolls is an ideal case for books, because it's always been a fleshed out fantasy world, with an entire continent already shown in one context or another.

Fallout not so much. It's attitude has always been to treat each part of the world on a case-by-case basis. Techo-Knights being what lies over that hill over there is relevant because it's what's in the game. In writing an entire area for the purpose of a novel, you are inherently enclosing off spaces for future exploration in-game. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but if it was a choice between having the space explored in a game, or having it explored in a novel, I think most players would choose a game.

Now this still leaves room for stuff like All Roads, which fill in the gaps in the ambigious spaces before the game, and actually enhance the stories of the game(You can visit all of the locations shown in All Roads, except of course the vegas skyline locations but y'know Vegas has always been smaller than intended in-game).

Beyond that, I feel the comic format really fits Fallout's mood perfectly: second to maybe a intentionally retro styled sci fi serial with crappy special effects. I mean, it's heavily inspired by old pulp Sci Fi stories, and given that by definition those were cheap crappy stories you could buy I think it would be painful to read in novel format, but would make pretty cool comics.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. Iprovidelittlepianos

Iprovidelittlepianos Still Mildly Glowing

May 12, 2020
    I agree with the others in that if there were to be fallout novels, a graphic novel would work best. A big part of fallout is it’s aesthetic/art style, and just text describing the art style doesn’t really do it justice. You need an artist to depict what the world looks like, otherwise it would be too similar to any other post-apocalyptic novel. Also we should remember that fallout first and foremost is a game. The turn based combat system came first, with the lore getting figured out later in development. In a sense, any fallout product that lacks this element kind of misses the point. Not that I’m against spin-off games or other media.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. The GoBernment

The GoBernment First time out of the vault

May 29, 2017
    Honestly I don't trust Bethesda to handle a graphic novel very well, there was a pretty decent attempt at keeping the art style from the old games and replicating it in Fallout 3 but then Fallout 4 comes out and the look is almost COMPLETELY gone. It'd have to be done by an outside party that at least paid attention to the 90s games, because holy shit do they look so damn good and detailed.

8. Iprovidelittlepianos

Iprovidelittlepianos Still Mildly Glowing

May 12, 2020
    I remember when I heard that Adam Adamowicz (or whatever his name was) died and I thought “oh shit, he’s the guy who did the concept art for fallout 3, I hope fallout 4 doesn’t suffer from his absence.” Of course this was back when I actually still liked fallout 3.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  9. Rastas

Rastas First time out of the vault

Feb 23, 2021
    God, Bethesda's incompetence is actually remarkable. I genuinely wonder how they even got off the ground as a game company.