Why Is Mayor Hancock Not Mayor Adams?

KingArthur

You Have Alerted the Horse
[REDACTED]
So, I'm gonna start off by saying that for all the things I disliked about F4, I loved Hancock. As someone who has also had drug issues, having a drug addict ghoul was not only representation but also a nice touch to the world Beth created in 4 (by that I mean he as a character continues their hardon for the whole "Revolutionary" thing).

I just have one problem with him.

Why is he named "Hancock", and why does he call John Hancock "the first American hoodlum"? John Hancock was a rich kid who came from old money whose biggest myth surrounding him is that he got all pissy when Washington was appointed general and not him and he signed his name largest on the Declaration of Independence like an ignorant prick.

What would've fit better with Hancock as a character would've been to name him after America's revolutionary bad boy: Samuel Adams. Adams was shunned directly after the revolution as a radical, but as time has gone on he's taken a place in Bostonians' hearts as the rascal who led the Boston Tea Party and became the city's most famous rabble rouser. Now, Boston is one've the cities I grew up in as a kid. Let me say, we love our Sam Adams (both the man and the lager). So I'm really confused as to why this rabble rousing bad-boy character is named after some spoiled prick from American history, and not another revolutionary who was such a bad-boy that he was actually shunned in the annals of the revolution until acquiring an almost outlaw-like status.

I'm not like hating on Bethesda for it, I just find it really weird. Your thoughts?

That's more thought than they ever put into it.
That's... fair. I dunno, I just figured that they'd at least TRY to be historically accurate, considering the whole American Revolution theme. But I suppose you're right.

It's just sad, because I do like that whole revolutionary theme. I just wish they'd given it more... well, effort, I guess.
I think maybe Hancock sounds a better name I guess I just don't know
I'll admit, Hancock is a cooler name. But if you're throwing history to the wind in favor of which name sounds cooler than maybe it's time to reevaluate the whole American Revolution theme that pervades your entire game.

Hancock is just a LARPer with serious headcanon about his namesake.

But both the ghoul and the jackass that came first were reprobates, so I guess they're still connected in the littlest way. Makes sense that the junkie 2neutral4u microwaved inside-out ghoul would look up to a fellow waste of flesh.

Hancock is just a LARPer with serious headcanon about his namesake.
I really can't argue with that at all.

But both the ghoul and the jackass that came first were reprobates, so I guess they're still connected in the littlest way. Makes sense that the junkie 2neutral4u microwaved inside-out ghoul would look up to a fellow waste of flesh.
But I can argue with that. I wouldn't exactly call Hancock a reprobate; he's a junkie, sure. But so was I; like I said, it's part of the reason I like the character so much more than anything else in F4. But another reason I like him is how the community he forms is all about the people. You know. Like what Sam Adams wanted.

I really can't argue with that at all.

But I can argue with that. I wouldn't exactly call Hancock a reprobate; he's a junkie, sure. But so was I; like I said, it's part of the reason I like the character so much more than anything else in F4. But another reason I like him is how the community he forms is all about the people. You know. Like what Sam Adams wanted.
Except his community is full of lowlive vagabonds and the occasional true AI robot. (Magnolia included)

Except his community is full of lowlive vagabonds and the occasional true AI robot. (Magnolia included)
I mean, fair enough; but listening to idle speech between the Goodneighbor residents and Town Watch reveals how tight-knit their society is there; They may be junkies and washouts, but they also have a certain loyalty to one another. I'd be willing to argue that Goodneighbor (and by extension, Hancock's generosity) provides a... well, a(n) (un)safe haven for those who wouldn't fit in anywhere else.

Back