Wild Wasteland: is it Wild or merely a Waste?

Anarchosyn

Still Mildly Glowing
[Disclaimer: Yeah, I noticed the other thread and even posted in it but, now many days later, I'm still the most recent post.. so here's try two]

I'm still a little annoyed that Wild Wasteland was included as a trait and not merely a toggleable world setting like hardcore mode.

Nevertheless, as I prepare to jump into the Wasteland for the first time, I was curious whether people felt it was worth giving up another, more character defining, trait?

Or, to say that again in a slightly more focused way: does Wild Wasteland actually add any interesting non-combat encounters like you could stumble across in Fallout 2 (which ranged from the useless, like the Python inspired bridge guardian and the T.A.R.D.I.S. dematerializing, to the useful, e.g. The Cafe of Broken Dreams).

I'm not looking for spoilers but, from reading other posts around here and related forums, it seems the majority of the "perks" relate to obtuse and obscure references relegated to window dressing (e.g. Indy's skeleton in the fridge, etc). Sadly, I'm not in-tuned with modern nerdy pop culture enough to catch many of the references (my nerdy pop culture extends from the 60s-80s).

I discovered corpses of Owen and someone or other outside a burning building. I didn't realise they where Luke's aunt and uncle until I read it on these forums, and I've watched the original Star Wars triliogy multiple times.

Wild Wasteland is a Waste for me. Many of the references just go straight over my head, and that's coming from a huge nerd. Maybe the Monty Pyphon references will make it worth it, but right now I know I'm not going to choose it for my next play though. The games funny and wacky enough without it.

There's not really anything new from Wild Wasteland that I can see, more that things get changed, IE, a cave full of giant rats has 'Rodents of Unusual Size' instead.

It makes it feel more like fallout 2 to me (which was always overloaded with references like these), but its not something I'd miss much if a build actually required 2 traits instead of 1, kindof like bloody mess used to be, its a freebie if you don't want anything else.

SomeBritishDude said:
I discovered corpses of Owen and someone or other outside a burning building. I didn't realise they where Luke's aunt and uncle until I read it on these forums, and I've watched the original Star Wars triliogy multiple times.

Wild Wasteland is a Waste for me. Many of the references just go straight over my head, and that's coming from a huge nerd. Maybe the Monty Pyphon references will make it worth it, but right now I know I'm not going to choose it for my next play though. The games funny and wacky enough without it.

Though the Star wars reference wouldn't have been lost on me I find that approach to humor at odds with what even Fallout 2 offered. The context just doesn't make sense -- you're not on Tatooine and Luke obviously didn't stem from the Fallout wasteland. It's just tagged in there for "lolz" and doesn't even make for a meaningful encounter unless you appreciate the root of the reference.

Perhaps my memory is at odds with reality but the pop cultural references seemed more logically weaved into Fallout 2. For example, the Monty Python bridge keeper could easily have been a nutter who had found old tapes. Even without such rationales, the reference's humor didn't depend on a spurious context -- it was an interesting encounter whether you knew Python or not (not merely background fluff which might not even have been noticed). There is nothing in Fallout which precludes a weirdo from demanding silly questions to cross a bridge. However, you (as the player) got to appreciate the encounter on multiple levels and this is why I enjoyed the occasional weirdness of Fallout 2. Same can go with the crashed UFO or Cafe of Broken Dreams, these were elements which existed in some ways outside of Fallout's gameplay paradigm but also oddly meshed (i.e. they weren't based entirely on a fictitious narrative context at odds with Fallout's).

Well the one useful thing you get out of the trait is an alien blaster, so it's at least worthwhile for an Energy-Guns character...

Otherwise, some fun references, most of which I missed, so the trait is overall neither great nor horrible. Like someone said, it's something to take if your build isn't dying for a second stat-modifying trait.

I have seen only few encounters with this trait. Sometimes it seemed to be bugged, 'cause showed the related vault-boy icon in some places there wasn't anything strange at all.
But there's been one really funny encounter, when the bunch of old ladies came to beat me up with pinrolls immediately after I sent the sexbot to Atomic Wrangler.

Haven't found alien blaster or anything other worth the trait during my 50 hours.

While it's quite a fun trait, with some useful things to be got out of it - alien blaster, Holy Hand Grenades, That Gun (is that part of the trait?) - there could definitely have been more, and more bonuses.

I must admit I'm interested to see if some weird things that don't get the official "swirly creeped-out Vault Boy" popping up are still in the main game if you don't have the trait.

Like the odd graffiti, Moe the Centaur, the weird mist in Hidden Valley at night, and the whispering voices in the graveyard by the Camp of Forlorn Hope at night.

The Tingler said:
Like the odd graffiti, Moe the Centaur, the weird mist in Hidden Valley at night, and the whispering voices in the graveyard by the Camp of Forlorn Hope at night.

I'm pretty sure Moe the Centaur is part of the actual game. The "mist" in Hidden Valley is a sandstorm, if you [spoiler:7f8c05abd2]ask the Brotherhood of Steel about it they will tell you it's part of their defense mechanisms to keep hidden.[/spoiler:7f8c05abd2] That Gun is a real game weapon, I think.

Fair enough.

The Monty Python Holy Hand Grenades are definitely exclusive though, and are incredibly powerful. You can wear Indy's hat too. As for other stuff, I haven't found it yet...

I found it to be nothing special but then again i don´t care much for the other traits,and i found only a few traits to be useful.I also got the vault boy icon when entering the brocflower cave even though there was nothing there aside from a barrel and a mine cart and i wonder is the trait bugged or is there something there i missed.

Ausdoerrt said:
Well the one useful thing you get out of the trait is an alien blaster, so it's at least worthwhile for an Energy-Guns character...

Unless you want the unique Gauss rifle, which is only available without Wild Wasteland. Same with the mutually exclusive Holy Hand Grenade and mini nuke.

Meh, there's other places to find mini-nukes in the game.

The Gauss rifle though, I never knew about that. Kinda sucks now that I know.

Yeah, its cool and all but I feel its a waste Traits really pack a punch when making a highly specialized character. Like my melee/unarmed and my energy weapons guy that can VATS with 200+ AP and get -30% to my AP cost both require two traits for me to preform at what I feel is maximum strength. FYI Energy Weapons kinda suck only a few good ones and they Eat through your extremely heavy ammo very rapidly. Guns are far more useful and so are explosives though it wouldn't be bad to try out Explosives and Energy Weapons together as there would be a lot of booms!

The Tingler said:
While it's quite a fun trait, with some useful things to be got out of it - alien blaster, Holy Hand Grenades, That Gun (is that part of the trait?) - there could definitely have been more, and more bonuses.

That Gun I was able to obtain without the trait. It looks awesome too lugging that thing around.

:twisted:

Wild Wasteland
-3 Holy Hand Grenades
-Alien Blaster & 100+ rounds

[spoiler:222de3336c]Attack statistics
dmg/attack: 90
DPS: 450
attacks/sec: 1
# of projectiles: 1
spread: 0
Criticals
crit dmg: 100
crit chance: x 100
Ammunition
ammo type: Alien Power Cell
ammo per shot: 1
ammo capacity: 10
shots/reload: 10
Other
skill: Energy Weapons
strength req.: 1
skill req.: 75
AP: 20
item HP: 500
repair: none
weight: 2
value: 3991
base id: 00004322
[/spoiler:222de3336c]

Normal:
-Fat Man
-YCS/186
[spoiler:222de3336c]dmg/attack: 140
DPS: 420
attacks/sec: 1 (unmodified: 3)
# of projectiles: 1
spread: 0.0275
Criticals
crit dmg: 70
crit chance: x 2
Ammunition
ammo type: Microfusion Cells
ammo per shot: 4
ammo capacity: 4
shots/reload: 1
Other
skill: Energy Weapons
strength req.: 5
skill req.: 75
AP: 40
item HP: 100
repair: Gauss Rifle
weight: 8.00
value: 3000
base id: 0015b38d[/spoiler:222de3336c]

Alien Blaster nets you (at most) 222 kills (272 with scrounger) while YCS is unlimited (and superior to normal gauss in every way.)

drgong said:
The Tingler said:

That Gun I was able to obtain without the trait. It looks awesome too lugging that thing around.

:twisted:
Yeah "That Gun" is normally in the game. I found relatively early in my first play through. it was a good initial pistol weapon to keep around, until it starts wearing out.

What was so useless about the Bridge of Death in FO2? Bridgekeepers Robes were probably the most useful armor you could get until pretty far into the game. I don't think I stopped using them until I got powered armor.

Useless, as in, a totally un-Fallout, really silly and very stupid encounter the doesn't enhance the game except to go "lulz".

I hate that encounter so hard.

It's definitley not wild.

I found Owen and Beru...O my third playthrough. I didn'tget the reference untill looking it up.

'Romanus dominus' or whatever, was a nice feature, not wild, but near mandatory given the Ceasers Legion faction.

I found the rodents of unusual size, I didn't get that despite having seen The Princess Bride about five times.

The guy with the orange balls on the cliff? Didn't get that.

Indy dead in a fridge? Was that needed?

Why is the Alien Blaster necisary? Take Aliens out of Fallout games, especially as blue ET guys flying around the wasteland.

The NCR emergancy radio was just, bleh. Why waste time making recordings like 'They're commin' outa' the walls!' when they could have actually, you know, made that frequency good.

Back