Will Fallout 3 be considered canon?

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by Yellow, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Yellow

Yellow It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 23, 2007
    Fallout: Tactics and FO:BOS are not considered canon by the fanbase and by Bethesda Softworks because of numerous controversies with previous games.

Since Fallout 3 is an "official" sequel, will it therefore have to be considered part of the canon, or if It's terribly received by the fanbase will it be overlooked when/if development starts on Fallout 4?

2. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Ehm, well, considering the fact that the rights to all of Fallout lie in the hands of Bethesda I don't see how they'd do anything other than use it as canon.

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all

Apr 3, 2003
    It'll be canon. Maybe if the Fallout license switches hands its status as canon can be reviewed, but the right to view something as canon is in the hands of the license owners. Only for dead licenses can fans seriously make any claims about this.

4. Blackwing

Blackwing First time out of the vault

Jul 27, 2004
    BN, the question was not 'will it be canon', it's 'will it be considered canon'.

Besides there's always the distinction between 'official' canon and 'fan' canon ('fanon')

While it will definately be officially canon, whether it will be considered canon by the fans depends on how much of the Fallout story and setting they get right.

5. Sander

Jul 5, 2003
    Actually, no. He specified that he was talking about what would happen with development of Fallout 4.

6. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    How the hell could we know how fitted it'll be to the Fallout setting if we know barely anything about the story?

7. Yellow

Yellow It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 23, 2007
    So I guess if it sucks ass and the Fallout brand dies out then it won't be considered canon by the fans of the series, but for the purposes of potential sequels it will have to be by Bethesda since they're the ones who made it.

8. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all

Apr 3, 2003
    Of course.

I don't think Bethesda are the types to come back on their own canon. They don't seem to be that self-critical, as a whole.

9. Sander

Jul 5, 2003
    However, supposedly they're not that hot on keeping up with their own canon either. I remember a lot of complaints about Morrowind being centred about stupid/faulty canon.

10. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    I'm not much of a Tes fan, but wasn't Cyrodiil more like jungle-like environment instead of disneylandish thing they put in oblivion?

11. Neptune

Neptune First time out of the vault

Apr 7, 2006
    YES! They chewed up their own history and spit it out. Heck this is one of my biggest grips with the game. I can't think of any RPGs that take place in a massive rainforest, and this is one of the things that immediatly sold me on Oblivion. I just kind of assumed they'd follow their own set up... boy was I wrong. Instead we got Tolkiens DisneyLand.

12. loomer

loomer First time out of the vault

May 27, 2008
    Cyrodiil, to my knowledge, was always portrayed as a country of rolling hills, fertile lakes, and forests.

You're thinking of the south when you think jungles. Black Marsh, Valenwood, and parts of Elsewyr mostly, but also the southern parts of Cyrodiil (which was represented in game.)

13. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    The official canon is currently in the hands of Bethesda, and as for fanon, pretty much every fan has his own definition. E.g. my personal canon includes Van Buren and parts of Fallout Tactics.

14. Stiched

Stiched It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 7, 2008
    I would assume so. Even if the game did suck, but got huge sales, Bestheda would try and explain it and move on.

15. Crowfoot

Crowfoot Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 21, 2007
    Same here. I like parts of the Tactics story that don't directly contradict anything from 1&2.
    I wonder if the Fallout MMORPG will have to reference Bethesda's additions to the canon.

16. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    Well, Interplay does not have to stick to Bethesda's canon, so I doubt they will. It's their game after all and one would thought that they will try to do it their way, without having to deal with other company's vision.