Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Wooz, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Got the RC, it kicks ass.

Except for one thing: It doesn't see one out of two partitions on my storage HDD.

Ideas?

2. Leon

Leon A Smooth-Skin

Oct 10, 2008
    If you haven't already, open up the Computer Management console (right-click "Computer" on your start menu and click "Manage" on the context menu, if you don't know how) and then select the Disk Management utility. See if you didn't accidentally install to the wrong partition like a friend of mine did. Post a screenshot if you aren't sure about it.

3. Wooz

May 18, 2003
    Um. No, I installed the OS on my C drive. My storage drive is another thing, and has two partitions, D and E.

For some strange reason, it lists my invisible Games partition as "system", although it uses C for Boot, Page file, Crash Dump. :s

The hell?

EDIT2: Forget it. During the installation process, it somehow erased the partition's letter, as you can see in the pic above. I assigned a new one, and it works perfectly.

4. Leon

Leon A Smooth-Skin

Oct 10, 2008
    The Disk Management utility is a useful thing.

5. Pope Viper

Pope Viper This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Dec 9, 2003
    I'm running it at work, and absolutely love it.

6. Wooz

May 18, 2003
    *highfives Poop Wiper*

7. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    Damn. It's too late to download the RC from Microsoft now.

8. Dead Guy

Dead Guy Senate Board Director oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 9, 2008
    It might be possible to get them to send you a copy for evaluation. A friend of mine got one by mail. Guess it might depend on where you live and/or work.

9. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan A Smooth-Skin

Aug 6, 2008
    Got the RTM (release version) :P

10. Patton89

Patton89 Vault Dweller

Nov 21, 2008
    I am using windows 7. And, it can run fallout.
    All i can say, it works very well, and i am not downgrading to vista, nor am i going to change back to XP SP3.

11. DexterMorgan

Aug 6, 2008
    Win 7 Ultimate, Professional and... um, one more, come with a fully functional Win XP SP3 in a virtual machine. You can use the VM directly, or you can install program and run it from Win 7 transparently (without having to start the xp vm bla bla bla.

12. Leon

Leon A Smooth-Skin

Oct 10, 2008
    Anyone can run a VM, but you need a processor with virtualization support for 7's XP mode with its fancy no-separate-VM-desktop-needed.... ness. Shouldn't be a problem for most people with decent computers, though, since most modern processors that aren't of the budget bracket have this functionality. :D

13. UnidentifiedFlyingTard

UnidentifiedFlyingTard Vault Fossil

Mar 12, 2009
    I bought a new computer that has Vista, which means I get a free upgrade to Windows 7, yee haw.

14. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    Elaborate?

15. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    When you buy a new computer with Vista you get a code to upgrade it to Windows 7 when it comes out.
    My bro got one when I ordered his new laptop.

16. SkynetV4

SkynetV4 Mildly Dipped

Jan 25, 2005
    Yep, that has been available since XP. It now includes features to shrink, extend and partition drives/parts that you are already using. Kind of like Gpart from Ubuntu does.

Did any of you guys had the windows 7 installer forcefully try to create a hidden partition to install the recovery console?

For some reason, when you format a disk when you are installing Windows 7, it forces a system partition to install the recovery console.

17. Leon

Leon A Smooth-Skin

Oct 10, 2008
    Windows 2000, actually, IIRC. Previous systems (NT 4.0 etc, don't know about non-NT systems) had Disk Administrator.

Yeah, a ~100mb partition. I'm not sure, but I believe it does this only if you have it make a new partition to install to.

18. DexterMorgan

Aug 6, 2008
    Apparently if you install on blank space on the disk with no previous partitions installed, otherwise it puts it in root partition. In RTM it's 200MB though.

19. Leon

Leon A Smooth-Skin

Oct 10, 2008
    200? I wonder what the increase is about.

20. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    I got a PC with Vista and I didn't get no code. WTF?!