Would you have rather gotten Van Buren but no New Vegas?

I used to play Tactics that way and let me tell you, It is sooooo much easier in real time. I know that sounds wrong but it was only play tested in real time and for some reason using turn based makes the game harder.
It's definitely slower, I can tell you that much. I never finished the game if only because missions were starting to take 3 or more hours to finish.

Only ever heard it being real time. If there was going to be turn based I would prefer that.
Makes sense you would have only heard of real-time, I think the Van Buren Tech Demo only has real-time working.

To know about turn-based we would have to dig out Van Buren's related material, like old interviews and forum posts. Here are a few quotes that can be found here on NMA:

This next quote is also from NMA but we have to access it using the Internet Archive:
Will the next Fallout be turn-based, or will it be real-time?
A Fallout sequel would almost assuredly have a turn-based mode and a real-time with pause mode, toggled outside of combat.

Why?
Real-time vs. turn-based combat isn't an aspect of character development, but it is an aspect of gameplay. Some people don't like playing through combat, even in a good system. Some people absolutely hate dialogue, even when it's well written. To accommodate different types of players, we do need to spread our resources.

Won’t that take a lot of time and cause balancing issues?
Summary: yes, balancing real-time and turn-based will take time. Yes, real-time and turn-based battles will not play out the same even under the most ideal circumstances. However, enough people are DIE-HARD ADAMANT about only playing one way or another that we believe it is genuinely important to pursue. Will turn-based combat be as balanced as it would without any real-time component? Of course not, but if the difference of that balance is minor, I believe allowing both of the die-hard groups to have a fundamental element of play to enjoy is important.

Hopefully, these next quotes will link to the thread where these are found, in case anyone wants to read it, although it's a short thread with only around "one and a half" pages of posts:
I believe so since we knew from the get-go that we'd have to include MP and RT. This has allowed us to plan ahead for it rather than trying to tack it on at the end -- which would be far more costly in terms of dev time and quality.
No. While we do have more RT functionality than TB, this is only due to RT being far, far easier to implement than TB. All of the programmers are coding everything with TB in mind now. You'd be suprised what has to take TB and RT into account. :shock:
The obvious answer is the only answer. Everyone can debate on whether or not VB would sell better without MP and RT or with, but no one will ever be able to really find out.

It's far more productive of us to work on implementing it well and in a way that doesn't *explitive* over TB. Seriously, saying we shouldn't do MP or RT at this point is as old and pointless as "It's a trap!" photoshop submissions over at the SA forums. We've all heard the same arguments over and over now. The horse is dead. Please stop beating it.

Makes sense you would have only heard of real-time, I think the Van Buren Tech Demo only has real-time working.

To know about turn-based we would have to dig out Van Buren's related material, like old interviews and forum posts. Here are a few quotes that can be found here on NMA:

This next quote is also from NMA but we have to access it using the Internet Archive:

Hopefully, these next quotes will link to the thread where these are found, in case anyone wants to read it, although it's a short thread with only around "one and a half" pages of posts:
Whenever I see quote's like that, it really get's me excited for "Van Buren" (the mod) and to an extent "Yesterday", as they are the only newish Fallout related media I'm truly interested in at this point. Also I know those quotes are from the the original dev team at interplay, but anything Van Buren related gets me excited.

I think the Van Buren tech demo had both real time and turn based modes.
Anyway, I had been eagerly awaiting Van Buren since it was first announced and I was sorely disappointed every time it was then postponed and then cancelled. Now I love NV, but gimme VB any day.

I only go turn-based in Tactics because I play it solo with a melee/unarmed character. If I played real time I wouldn't be able to go far in that game.
Well in that case it probably is a lot easier in turn based. I've always done full ranged squad.

I use a mix of both modes in tactics, but once you level yoir team up or recruit people with higher gun skills it becomes easiest to leave them on auto shoot unless sneaking.

Damn shame they didnt better flesh it out, annoying as fuck that bunkers dont resupply, makes getting higher end ammo harder without being a loot goblin, my general strat is to scour everything once Ive cleared the map and drop it by the exit grid if someones overloaded, then load until just shy of immobile and haul it back to the bunker.

I generally started with going for hunting rifles for everyone, decent range and damage, and snag AKs for everyone as soon as possible, but leave them on semi for the most part, albiet 1 or 2 well positioned members on burst can be very lethal if you ambush from stealth, and upgrade one or two people to sniper rifles when they become avalible (I remember one playthru a random encoubter got me them early), really until energy weapons become a thing in the early midgame 7.62 weapons are the way to go, with a shotgun or two as cqb secondaries.

Soon as you get to super mutants, you get 249s, also using 7.62, and Ill have a few people with them as secondaries, trading them out for RPGs in later game for robot work.

Would you have rather gotten Van Buren but no New Vegas?
Yes.

I would rather of had Van Buren than Bethesda period. I would probably have preferred whatever Troika was cooking up instead of Van Buren; it would surely have quickly become Fallout 3, had they acquired the licensing.

Last edited:
Yes.

I would rather of had Van Buren than Bethesda period. I would probably have preferred whatever Troika was cooking up instead of Van Buren; it would surely have quickly become Fallout 3, had they acquired the licensing.

Fallout is a series of "what ifs", isn't it?

Back