Your thoughts regarding TOEE?

After the first play-through I haven't had any trouble with the You-Know-Whats. I skip the boring village stuff and camp outside until I get some rats or goblins or something. That's quicker and more fun than helping filthy, ignorant peasants.

Admittedly though, first level is very hard in ToEE.

The closest D&D experience you can get on a PC, in 21st century, other than Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter night series.

Get it or steal it. I don't care.

Make sure you have Circle of Eight mob installed. It fixed shit-load of bugs that's hiding in the game. :D

zioburosky13 said:
The closest D&D experience you can get on a PC, in 21st century, other than Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter night series.

Actually, I'd say ToEE is much closer to PnP DnD than either Baldur's Gate or NWN.

zioburosky13 said:
Make sure you have Circle of Eight mob installed. It fixed shit-load of bugs that's hiding in the game. :D

Here's a new, must-see link for anyone thinking of getting the game:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6584

UniversalWolf said:
zioburosky13 said:

Actually, I'd say ToEE is much closer to PnP DnD than either Baldur's Gate or NWN.
I agree.

I played the demo, including the tutorial and I liked it. I bought Temple of Elemental Evil about a year ago and stopped playing before leaving the first village.

My perfect D&D game would be Baldur's Gate with Fallout-style dialogues and C&C and ToEE-style faithful recreation of AD&D mechanics, preferably with rules Combat & Tactics supplement and maybe from others so that there would be almost as much options as in 3rd ed.

I loved the game but unfortunately never finished it, even after several tries. it's just a bit too repetative to me. the combat is awesome though. and I love the graphics and atmosphere.

you really have to know how to put together a good party and you have to read the rules. even though they threw a whole rulebook in there, they still didn't mention some things so it might be worth looking at a guide or two.

first time I played I stopped while I was still in the village. everything else was too hard and questing in the village was a bore. then I learned that you need to mark out where people are on the map and take some notes, then you can do the quests quickly and get some nice rewards. it wasn't at all as bad second time.

like others have said before, they game is great but leaves a lot to wish for. it truly is a glimpse at what kind of rpg's could be created if someone just had the guts to do it.

A game that was a bit difficult in some parts, rather short and had a weak story but nevertheless a great fun mainly because if a great combat mechanic.

Sorrow said:
I played the demo, including the tutorial and I liked it. I bought Temple of Elemental Evil about a year ago and stopped playing before leaving the first village.

You quit before leaving the village? Ouch.

The village is a distraction. There are very few things you have to do there to finish the game. Outside Hommlet is where the meat of the story takes place. Go explore until you get a winnable random encounter or two so you can level up the first time (and maybe grab some loot). That makes things much easier.

UniversalWolf said:
Sorrow said:

I played Chaotic Evil people and I found the village lacking - it didn't have enough rape & pillage for a good Rape & Pillage Game.
Also, I hate dungeons, I hate monsters, I hate saving the world and I hate traps. IMHO a good hack & slash should involve slaughtering town guards, butchering men, raping women, crushing skulls of infants and capturing teenagers into slavery for profit.
Yeah, that and burning cottages.
And robbing. Robbing is very important.

Sorrow said:
UniversalWolf said:
Sorrow said:

I played Chaotic Evil people and I found the village lacking - it didn't have enough rape & pillage for a good Rape & Pillage Game.
Also, I hate dungeons, I hate monsters, I hate saving the world and I hate traps. IMHO a good hack & slash should involve slaughtering town guards, butchering men, raping women, crushing skulls of infants and capturing teenagers into slavery for profit.

You never left the village, there is no way in hell you can kill Elmo without gaining some levels outside......so I can understand your frustration

Sorrow said:

I haven't played evil yet, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. I can see how you'd be disappointed if you wanted to rape and pillage from the get-go, however. I suspect you're just not powerful enough to do it right at the beginning.

From what I've heard (or from what I think I've heard) the evil options are significant, but they're more structured than what you're looking for.

I played Chaotic Evil people and I found the village lacking

How about not playing evil then? Barely a couple of games offer a decent evil path, and you expect it from ToEE who doesn't even have that great of a good path?

I hate dungeons, I hate monsters, I hate saving the world and I hate traps.

Don't play dungeon crawlers then?

IMHO a good hack & slash

Not hack&slash, but dungeon crawler. The difference is reasonably big, especially in ToEE's case.

FeelTheRads said:
I played Chaotic Evil people and I found the village lacking

How about not playing evil then? Barely a couple of games offer a decent evil path, and you expect it from ToEE who doesn't even have that great of a good path?
Actually, from what I heard, ToEE allows to join to bad guys, which in my book counts as a decent evil path. I still prefer fighting town guards and defenceless civilians, though :P . Hmm... I wonder what modding tools are available :twisted: .

FeelTheRads said:
Don't play dungeon crawlers then?
True.

UniversalWolf said:
I haven't played evil yet, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. I can see how you'd be disappointed if you wanted to rape and pillage from the get-go, however. I suspect you're just not powerful enough to do it right at the beginning.
Well, it's hard for me to move from massacring a hamlet to normal interaction with people :P .
I remember trying to play a good party. IIRC I stopped because the game kept crashing from time to time.
Also, I don't know any cRPG where you can rape a village :P .

Sorrow said:
Well, it's hard for me to move from massacring a hamlet to normal interaction with people :P .
I remember trying to play a good party. IIRC I stopped because the game kept crashing from time to time.
Also, I don't know any cRPG where you can rape a village :P .

There's an "evil" village where the rapers and pillagers hang. You could probably interact with them once you've finished raping and pillaging. Unless you want to rape and pillage them too.

There are games where you can massacre villages (Fallout being one), but I haven't seen any games that really develop the theme. It would be interesting to walk into a town with your gang and demand all their money and women in exchange for not slaughtering everyone.

Actually, wasn't there an Ultima or something where you could demand monthly tribute from towns? I distinctly remember that being a feature of a game I played once a long time ago.

I can't speak to your crashes, except to say that my experience with ToEE has been surprisingly problem-free considering the game's reputation. If you haven't yet, I'd head over to Circle of Eight (http://www.co8.org/forum/) and follow their installation and troubleshooting instructions. Worked for me.

UniversalWolf said:
There are games where you can massacre villages (Fallout being one), but I haven't seen any games that really develop the theme. It would be interesting to walk into a town with your gang and demand all their money and women in exchange for not slaughtering everyone.
Exactly :D . It would be nice if one could role-play a real raider or bandit and terrorize towns/villages into submission instead just slaughtering everyone. Rape, robbery, "protection" for money/services would be much more interesting than coming to town and just killing everyone.

Gave it a spin a few years back. I didn't really get into it, it's too shallow, story-wise. It's just a tactical D&D combat simulator. Think Fallout Tactics in a fantasy setting.

Sorrow said:
I played Chaotic Evil people and I found the village lacking - it didn't have enough rape & pillage for a good Rape & Pillage Game... And robbing. Robbing is very important.
That's not the actual Chatic Evil way of doing things, especially in CRPGs, the way to do it is to first help the good people, and when the neutral-evil people are dead, kill the good people too.
This way you get the best rewards, and can keep lying to the good people, that yes, the caravan still should go to the Sandy Sands, even though everyone in there is dead... :twisted:

Now, I kinda liked the ToEE, though it could have been better... as the game is far too random(the encounter system is way-&%¤#-/&), especially for the 3Ed rules.

Jarno Mikkola said:
That's not the actual Chatic Evil way of doing things...

I like to play Lawful Evil in such a way that I do all the goodie-goodie quests as intended, except that I'm lying through my teeth. Once I gain enough trust to become Archon, it's work-camps and groveling for everyone.

Sadly, CRPGs don't let you go that route either. Kind of like Montgomery Burns climbing the ladder.

Got this today in the mail, and can't even get the damned thing to run.

Anybody else have trouble running it?

EDIT: After troubleshooting this game for a few hours, and still unable to get it to run at all, I must say that it's no small wonder that Troika went under actually releasing products as problematic as ToEE. Shame really, as I was quite looking forward to playing this.

I would recommend going to the Co8 forums for TS advice. I remember having some issues in getting it to run on Vista on my laptop and got it working after reading a few posts.

Back