Zippy's Thread

Yeah... juvenile and weirdly censored 'adult' scenes. Fallout 3 certainly isn't great in that regard... but I tend to be really unimpressed with the 'counter examples' that people tend to crow about around here. This is the second time I've played one and been dissappointed.

Corvin said:
It is almost staggeringly linear. The NPCs are not actually all that deep. The 'moral impact' of one's decisions doesn't ultimately matter.

Not that this has stood in the way of many of my favorite RPGs before... but all of these things have been said to matter deeply by people around here.

...and, facial animations?

It also fronts an almost horrific copy protection scheme... which Fallout 3 doesn't have.
I'd prefer staggeringly linear if the story/atmosphere/setting is compelling and makes you want to continue. STALKER is linear yet destroys F3 to me. And yes STALKER is not really an RPG but that's not really the issue. The issue is if a game grabs you or not. beths free range style could be great if pulled off well but so far I haven't played a game from them which pull it off for me. I always end up eventually going 'ok am I gonna keep doing these generic quests given by boring as hell NPCs over and over and mindless loot collecting/stat pumping till my head explodes or am I going to stop playing' (I stop playing). If there is no stimulating plot or quests or sub stories I might as well be doing something else IRL equally as mundane though actually productive to me (such as working out).

Also how would you rate the moral impact in The Witcher vs F3? Which one sucks less?

Start enjoying the newest RPGs again. Figure out a way. There's a wonderful world of great games waiting for you out there if you can let go of all that bitterness and anger.

Reminds me of the whole "new-world" thing going on in this society.
Guess we need a a new wrapping around the old exploitation. New threats, new diseases, NEW GAMES. Let go of the bitterness, grab a Rock-IT-Launcher and start chucking nuclear devices. Ok, all these points have been made countless times, my grandma was planting a tree and so on....

Analyze FO3 from an aesthetic viewpoint. Compare it with other FPRPGs. Arx Fatalis, System Shock 2. Their gameworlds are "realistic" and make sense. Nothing is as pleasing and aesthetic as reality. Take a snowflake for example. FO3 constantly breaks this feeling by confronting the player with arbitrary, unrealistic bullcrap. Which is mostly copy/paste too.

I am really concerned about humanity. Not because of some impending desaster... no.. because of the retardation of the majority.[/quote]

Holocausto said:
Corvin said:
It is almost staggeringly linear. The NPCs are not actually all that deep. The 'moral impact' of one's decisions doesn't ultimately matter.

Not that this has stood in the way of many of my favorite RPGs before... but all of these things have been said to matter deeply by people around here.

...and, facial animations?

It also fronts an almost horrific copy protection scheme... which Fallout 3 doesn't have.
I'd prefer staggeringly linear if the story/atmosphere/setting is compelling and makes you want to continue. STALKER is linear yet destroys F3 to me. And yes STALKER is not really an RPG but that's not really the issue. The issue is if a game grabs you or not. beths free range style could be great if pulled off well but so far I haven't played a game from them which pull it off for me. I always end up eventually going 'ok am I gonna keep doing these generic quests given by boring as hell NPCs over and over and mindless loot collecting/stat pumping till my head explodes or am I going to stop playing' (I stop playing). If there is no stimulating plot or quests or sub stories I might as well be doing something else IRL equally as mundane though actually productive to me (such as working out).

Also how would you rate the moral impact in The Witcher vs F3? Which one sucks less?

I liked Stalker (sans bugs) a fair bit better. I began to get bored with The Witcher... there's a lot of walking around quests and some stuff that's almost Diablo-ish. I've been told that the moral impacts are clearer further in but I didn't see much evidence of that and I tried to differentiate decisions in different play throughs... it didn't seem to really matter though. The alchemy junk is also really MMO-ish. The American-ized sex scenes are also almost appallingly stupid... maybe they're better in the Euro version.

I'd work out or play modded Fallout 3.

Back