Does RPG mean anything anymore?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by NMLevesque, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    Well, look at that. You're narrowing 'stat/value-based interaction' and equate it completely to 'tactics/strategy'. To that, I will reply 'Tactics/strategy =/= stat/value-based interaction', or that 'tactics/strategy isn't the only stat/value-based interaction', at least in RPGs. The most common and easiest example of stat/value-based interactions, would be stat/skill checks. Not just dialogue checks, but just about every kind of checks. From checks found in dialogue (Charisma/Speech), to the ones found in environmental interaction (Perception/Traps).

2. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    I meant those as separate statements, otherwise I would've just double spaced before the second statement. I was referring to the whole Pokemon bit with the strategy/tactics thing. Lots of games have tactics but no roleplaying to speak of.

3. Walpknut

Walpknut Testament to the ghoul lifespan

Dec 30, 2010
    Except Pokemon's strategy comes from it's rpg elements.

It gives out pretty high money prizes and have been going on for years now... International at that not just within Japan.

4. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    Am I supposed to watch a forty minute video to find out how that is the case?