Fallout 2 mod: Vault Rats

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Pipboy2000

Pipboy2000 Companion to the Last Proton
    Orderite

Sep 29, 2003
    Yo lisac, good woork.

So is there a script that prevents The Protectron from being critically hit? I've bashed away at him with the slugger like 12 reloads and haven't gotten one critical with my 20% chance...

2. lisac2k

lisac2k Vault Senior Citizen
    Modder

Oct 26, 2004
    No. The robot is a copy of Sentry Bot Mk II (more-less, with a few stats changed) and is wearing the Metal Armor (virtually). You can hit it critically with anything, as long as the hit succeeds. Try aiming the sensors/CPU.

On the other note, I really don't know how could one prevent a critter being critically hit using the scripting system. It'd be an extreme example of work-around.

3. Lich

Lich Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Dec 23, 2004
    Thanx for scripts source. I got idea about encounter "kids who play RPG" and floating conversation is best method to do that.

4. Eoz

Eoz First time out of the vault

May 21, 2007
    Lisac, it seems there's a bug with the weapons magazine. When using it, nothings happens; No message in the bottom left display, the weapon tagged skill is not upgraded and the magazine stays in the inventory.

I tried with your original version too and another player also reported this.

5. Pipboy2000

Pipboy2000 Companion to the Last Proton
    Orderite

Sep 29, 2003
    Eoz, yes I forgot to mention that. Ditto.

Yeah, this would be perfect for a random encounter.

6. lisac2k

lisac2k Vault Senior Citizen
    Modder

Oct 26, 2004
    Nope, it's not a bug :roll:
    The problem by the books is that they (their protos) are being recognised by an engine routine and handled as books. That includes raising the appropriate skill, removing the book from the inventory and displaying a message.

Making a new custom book, and more important hanging a script on it, has a lot of side effects. One of them is that a message will never be displayed if you use the book from the inventory. I've tried fixing this editing the script and proto file, but it's rather complicated and it didn't work.

Long story short - I made a new key item (which can be used on something), assigned a script to it and that's it. Just use the book on the dude from one of your slots/hands. Vault Rats 1.02 Document has been updated with this info too.

7. Slaughter Manslaught

Slaughter Manslaught Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 11, 2006
    Cool mod! I loved that radio on the Pipboy 3000! And pretty much all the mod was lots of fun! DIE, VERA, DIE!! And the endings, where the best was no doubt that ending of the "Toilet of Revenge!" I'll never look to a toilet the same way I did before!

8. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Do you still have the french version of the mod ? Apparently, it was lost by the french community. (the download link is dead and the people involved in the translation are no longer active)

Otherwise, that was a great nondescript mod. It has definitely more that what initially appear.
    The jokes were nice, but i had more fun trying to go around the system. Like trying everything possible to kill the child, or trying to provoke a fight between the robot and the gang, as my character was too weak to face any of them. (initially didn't know you you could recruit it). It is what i like with the short mods. You have to struggle a bit more to beat the bad guys as you are unable to level up that much.

9. PlanHex

PlanHex Spam Janitor Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    Doesn't look like NMA ever had the french version. Original is still in the archive. http://archive.nma-fallout.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1064

10. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Dunno about NMA, but the author might still have it if he is the kind of person who collect everything related to his creations.