Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dude101, Jul 30, 2007.

1. khai9999

khai9999 First time out of the vault

Nov 16, 2016
    @NovaRain there's a bug with gecko skinning perk with controlMode. As the battle ended, gecko skinning perk will raise up.

2. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 -Level 99 in Fallout Fixt-

Oct 28, 2009
    I'm not exactly sure how did You got the extra gecko skinning perks, however there is a bug with Economy and Combat rebalance mod. You see after purchasing the gecko skinning knowledge from a trapper in klamath's trapper town You can get second level of that skill when talking to Smiley after You rescue Him from toxic caves.

EDIT:
    I actually thought this through and came to conlcusion that what You are reporting might be a separate bug, related to how party NPC's perks are handled in ControlCombat=2 or whatever it's called now.

You see sfall team managed to cut out all of player owned perks from NPC's character sheets but later on They've decided to reintroduce some back mainly Gecko Skinning and Awareness AFAIR. there might be other perks treated this way as well. the issue seemes to be related to not properly removing the bonus from character sheet whenever end turn/end combat is triggered thus adding the bonus to the list of player owned perks.

The way i see it NPC's shouldn't have the perk available, only the script for the Gecko Skinning perk itself should be modified so that when player character has the perk, any gecko killed should render a skin regardless of who killed it. Wether was it player, party member (controlled by player or not) or random npc killing the gecko shouldn't matter since player can always skin it after the fight (at least in theory). fixing that EcCo bug would also be welcome as well...

And maybe somebody will finally manage to stop the slowdowns when running Fo2 with sfall on an offline machine. game runs smooth when i have internet connected, however if i remove the plug from router and run the game, it ocasionally slow down to a crawl for a few moments the bigger party i have the slower it gets and longer it takes to return to smooth gaming. I'm running 1920x1080 with party control function + EcCo and Burn's Fo2 Tweaks but the slowdown happened since combat control function was first introduced. The only thing that helps a bit in this matter (litening the consequences) is ArtCacheSize= option in Fallout 2 config set to at least 64 ( but not higher than 256) (sfalls override function of art cache size only makes things worse when enabled) (last tested on 4.0).

3. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Looks like Gecko Skinning doesn't have a rank cap like some other perks, so it can be raised up to some ridiculous level with script functions. I added a rank cap for it when NPC combat control mod initialized. Since this isn't a serious game breaking bug, I'm not planning to release a sfall update just for it. But you can download the attached fixed script here. (EDIT: now included in sfall 4.0.3+)

Nope, I only made Gecko Skinning available to other critters. If you want more perks available, you can modify the gl_partycontrol script.
    BTW, I have no idea why your game slows down on an offline machine. sfall's OverrideArtCacheSize only set art_cache_size in fallout2.cfg to 256 and nothing else. You can try to run the game in a windowed mode with a smaller screen size to see if it runs better.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. khai9999

khai9999 First time out of the vault

Nov 16, 2016
    About ECCO, I'm aware about extra gecko skinning perk. Hope the fix will come soon.

Maybe you should enable debugging log to see what the cause of the slowdown. As for me (I'm offline player),
    the slowdown happen later in the game when I entering any town map and the debug log only show infinite ERROR: attempt to reference map var out of range: 2. What the cause of this error is still unknown to me but I try to investigate as I play right now.

Thanks you so much bro!!

5. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm trying to make a critter semi-transparent via script. If I got it right, then this should do the trick, no?
    Code:
    set_proto_data(obj_pid(self_obj),PROTO_CR_FLAGS,(FLAG_TRANSSTEAM + FLAG_LIGHTTHRU));
    Thing is, it doesn't work. The critter won't change his appearance at all. What am I missing?

Oh, also I have no idea how to remove the flag again later?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    You need to use get/set_flags() for FLAG_* object flags.
    For removing flags, I'd try set_flags(self_obj, get_flags(self_obj) - FLAG_*)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Mr.Stalin

Mr.Stalin Agent of Enclave Modder

Oct 29, 2015
    Example:
    Code:
    #define SetSelfFlag(x)           set_flags(self_obj, x)
    #define GetSelfFlag              get_flags(self_obj)

// Set flag
    SetSelfFlag(GetSelfFlag bwor FLAG_TRANSGLASS)
    // Reset flag 
    SetSelfFlag(GetSelfFlag bwand bwnot(FLAG_TRANSGLASS))

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  8. Lexx

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah, this works. Thanks! :salute:

9. darkf

darkf Caller of the Void Modder

Jul 12, 2014
    When using the DebugEditorKey, I can't move my mouse after the game pauses (using Windows 10 here.) Unfortunately this means I can't really use it, any workaround for this? (BackgroundMouse would work, except the mouse goes outside of the window and clicks on other things...)

10. Mr.Stalin

Mr.Stalin Agent of Enclave Modder

Oct 29, 2015
    darkf
    Try running game in window mode.

11. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    sfall 4.0.3 and 3.8.8 are released on SourceForge, along with their respective modders packs and win2k version (3.8.x only).
    Mr.Stalin's sfall script editor (extended version) is removed from moddders pack due to request. You can download them from NMA.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Great stuff..

13. the_E_y_Es

the_E_y_Es First time out of the vault

Feb 25, 2018
    What critter is it, and what does the result look like? I'm just damn curious.

Btw I just made this account to ask you this. That's how curious I am.

14. Lexx

Apr 24, 2005
    Well, the result is the look of the ghost in Den.

15. the_E_y_Es

Feb 25, 2018
    Ah, I see. That could be used as a neat cloaking effect or somesuch.

16. Lexx

Apr 24, 2005
    Well,..

17. the_E_y_Es

Feb 25, 2018
    That looks pretty cool. Is this for your mod? Also, did you try it on an Adv. Power Armor? That would be a fearsome thing.

18. Lexx

Apr 24, 2005
    This is a screenshot from Fallout 1, where this was used the first time. :>

19. the_E_y_Es

Feb 25, 2018
    Well darn. I only played Fallout 2, so I didn't recognize it.

Thanks for clarifying, I look forward to WW.

20. Brunzer

Brunzer First time out of the vault

Apr 9, 2010
    Not sure if my issue is related, but I just did a fresh install of Fallout 2 with the latest Sfall and when I reached level 3, Gecko Skinning was among the perks to choose from.

My installation is as follows:
    Fallout 2
    RP 2.33
    Sfall 4.03
    Economy and Combat rebalance mod