How did you discover Fallout ?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by PsychoSniper, Jan 20, 2004.

1. limerick

limerick The Wisest Human, The Greatest Thinker

Dec 31, 2017
    i couldnt tell you exactly but i think this was around the google play days. i was in like 5th or 6th grade and TES3 came out recently, saw some video on one of the older games (i think it was two) and thought it looked really bad. funny now because 1 is probably one of my favorite games (of all time)

2. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    My dad, uncle and aunt played Fallout and Fallout 2 a lot. When I was old enough I finally got the discs for my personal use.

3. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    I may have mentioned it before, but a friend of mine (who was between residences at the time), had it shipped top my house; that's how I found out about it—along with Redneck Rampage (an FPS released the same year). I didn't play the games at the time... but sometime later I did.

I didn't get around to Fallout until after I'd finished Baldur's Gate; (which made it a rough and uncertain transition BTW).

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Cellmember

Cellmember First time out of the vault

Feb 24, 2014
    I first discovered Fallout 3 back in 2009-10, just randomly came across a person playing it on the tube, decided to try it out my self, got hooked loved every bit of it, then when NV came out jumped on that which then led me to looking for more fallout which I then came across 1, 2 and Tatics and then 4 and now I await more fallout and am a massive Fallout fan, but not blinded fallout 4 wasn't that great, good for what it is but definitely lacking RPG wise.

5. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    3/4 are some of the worst sequels of all time. I can enjoy 3 as a game as poorly written as it is because it had like... actual quests. 4 is just 95% procedurally generated quests. That coupled with bethesda's awful writing and non characters and general defiling of lore and continuity has ruined any chance of me enjoying 4 on any level.

Sorry to shit on your love for 3/4 it's compulsive at this point. It's a real problem for me.

6. Cellmember

Feb 24, 2014
    4 is my least favorite and I do agree. NV is my go to.

7. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    New Vegas is one of the greatest sequels in any entertainment medium tbh.

8. Cellmember

Feb 24, 2014
    I can agree.

9. SquiglyContiello

SquiglyContiello First time out of the vault

Jan 3, 2018
    Fallout 3 was recommended to me by a friend who said it was Skyrim with guns(I was a bethesda fanboy back then) so I tried it and liked the lore and world. I eventually moved on to NV and liked the role-playing elements, when I heard of the first 2 games having better RP elements I decided to try them out. I was initially thrown away by the turn-based combat(the first cRPG I played was RTwP) but eventually I got accustomed to it and eventually ended up liking it more than 3/NV combat.

10. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    It's like the terminator 2 of video game sequels tbh.

11. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    That's not unheard of... I remember that a Bethsoft member once returned to their forum after some time spent dormant, and apologized for previously heckling Fallout fans. He had been a staunch advocate of FO3... until he actually played Fallout 1 & 2. Citing that he now understood what they had been saying.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. SquiglyContiello

SquiglyContiello First time out of the vault

Jan 3, 2018
    I guess most 1&2 haters never played them. I'm pretty sure MattyB ended up liking Fallout 2 more than 3/4 as well.

13. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Fallout is my first RPG. When I was reading a PC Gamer magazine in 1997, I saw the character wielding a minigun in one of the screenshots in Fallout preview. It got my interest immediatly, because before Fallout I only knew RPGs in fantasy settings (not old enough knowing Wasteland) and I'm not fond of fantasy. After I tried the demo from the included CD, I rushed out to buy the game and official guide (translated). Since I didn't understand English well enough for all dialogs (was only a middle schooler), my playthrough was bascially shittons of trials and errors, like I tried about 20 times in dialog tree to finally convince The Master to suicide. :P

14. Cellmember

Feb 24, 2014
    That sounds about right.

15. Courier Six

Courier Six First time out of the vault

Jun 23, 2017
    I don't recall how I discovered the franchise, but I clearly remember how I first got into it. I borrowed Fallout 1 from a high school classmate and neighbour of mine. I didn't play much back then but I clearly remember reaching the Brotherhood bunker shortly after emerging from the Vault and firing my first gun at Cabbot because I got upset because he wouldn't allow me in. Needless to say, that ended really bad for my character. Him being torn to pieces by Cabbot's minigun really left an impression on me lol.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  16. azukee2

azukee2 First time out of the vault

Apr 1, 2018
    My mom passed away in 2010 and that's when i bought Copeout 3 GOTY, then New Vegas and eventually the original fallout collection.
    A game series very near and dear to my heart.

17. Aurelius Of Phoenix

Aurelius Of Phoenix First time out of the vault

Mar 9, 2018
    One day I bought Fallout 3 GOTY on sale because it's apparently AMAZING!!! Play it...meh don't see what the fuss is about. Years later play new vegas on PS3, Okay this is better, still plays like shit but at least it's written decently. play on PC, wow this is pretty good.