How To Build A Great Character

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Gameplay & Tech' started by DwayneGAnd, Sep 8, 2017.

1. DwayneGAnd

DwayneGAnd It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 12, 2016
    This is where character creation gets more complicated due to lack of traits. Due to open sandbox style, in past playthroughs, I have often found myself facing opposition that is too strong for me. This even when I played on the easiest difficulty setting! So I have no idea how to navigate the wasteland safely and what parts of the map to stay out of until I achieve a higher level.

I have the Ultimate Perk Pack installed, but even then, the perks of fallout 3 are similar to fallout 1 and 2 in that certain perks affect either melee or long range combat, forcing you to choose between melee or guns. Yet from what I have read, it is possible to achieve 100 in all skills if you play right, using both guns and melee.

I have the following builds planned:

Sharpshooter: Uses small guns, energy weapons, big guns, in other words, specializes in long range combat.

Silent Assassin: Wears Chinese Stealth Armor and uses both guns and melee. Most weapons are silenced to remain undetected.

Melee: Uses melee weapons.

Brawler: Uses unarmed weapons.

Pyromaniac: Uses weapons affected by pyromaniac perk.

Heavyweight: Focuses on weapons that do not deal critical hits such as explosives, Eugene minigun, and Kneecapper. Luck is dumped.

As you can see, I focus on a certain style. Long Range, fire, stealth, melee, unarmed, or non critical. In previous playthroughs, I found that even after maxing all my important skills, I still had some levels left to achieve and get skill points to invest in combat skills that my build does not use.

I would like to know if any of the builds above are viable. How can I navigate the wasteland safely without encountering very tough enemies early? Should I stay on certain paths? How should I build up my skills? What should I set my attributes at for each planned character? How do I create a perfect character? What kinds of weapons should I carry with me so I can tackle any situation?

2. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    It's Fallout 3. All builds are "whiny 19 year old little shit looking for his or her daddy". Navigating the wasteland safely without encountering tough enemies? They're all leveled, anway, you won't encounter anything that can kill you. Build up skills by leveling up (duh doy).
    Perfect characters don't exist.
    Carry those weapons that do enough damage, that you have ammo and can expect to find ammo for, and that you like.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. ThatZenoGuy

ThatZenoGuy Residential Zealous Evolved Nano Organism

Nov 8, 2016
    Fallout 3 makes Fallout 1-2 look like games designed by Adolf Hitler and Satan.

You can probably beat the game as a level 5 character.

4. MPPlantOfficial

MPPlantOfficial First time out of the vault

Aug 24, 2017
    Melee and Unarmed are shit in FO3. Hard enough doing the mirelurk quests and reaching all the unlimited respawning super mutatnts but they eventually land you in an unwinnable situation where Enclave troopers are firing at you from unreachable places while you have to protect a squad of 4 scientists.

Who knows. People have said Melee makes Vats an "I win Button" but I never really used Vats for anything else except Mirelurks with their tiny faces.
    Only way to really play this game is using the "Terrible Shotgun" you can get by killing a merchant in a cave for negakarma.

5. ThatZenoGuy

Nov 8, 2016
    Literally nothing in the game barring the cheating 'ignore armour' DLC enemies are remotely challenging, melee, unarmed, guns, explosives, everything works on everything because DT isn't a thing.

Even worse, the shotgun is from a FRIENDLY RAIDER MERCHANT...Somehow.

6. MPPlantOfficial

MPPlantOfficial First time out of the vault

Aug 24, 2017
    He could probably count him as an "Unarmed Prisoner" after killing the Raiders except the son of a bitch has the strongest weapon in the game...

7. Pwener

Pwener Tunnelers? They Don't Sound That Tough...

Aug 15, 2017
    Nah, just tell yourself he's a raider and shoot that bastard right in the face. If you don't lose Karma then you're cool.

8. Risewild

Risewild Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    We don't get negative karma. Smiling Jack is in the Raider faction and has Evil karma. We can kill him all we want without getting any negative karma ;-).

9. ThatZenoGuy

Nov 8, 2016
    And who cares if you do get negative karma, give some hobo a bottle of water and all sins are forgiven. ^_^

10. Prone Squanderer

Prone Squanderer A bit of a Sillius Soddus.

Jan 3, 2016
    Of course. Water hobos are actually Jesus in disguise.

11. Risewild

Risewild Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Hey, purified water is highly valuable in the Capital Wasteland. After all, they need to make a purifier to save it. That is why a bottle of Purified Water costs... 20 caps?!?!?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. ThatZenoGuy

Nov 8, 2016
    >Planks of wood with nails literally worth a week's supply of water.

>Still can't afford water.

<;D

13. Danuis

Danuis Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Fallout 3 has a few skills I never touched. Big guns, Melee, Unarmed, Explosives, Barter, Energy Weapons. Due to the amount of skillbooks, you can leave those at 40-50 and just book them to 80-90 each.

And that's not even on a min-max build. Small guns are just so prevalent, that it's a challenge to go on a melee run and definitely a unarmed run. Unlike more D&D games with proficencies in weapons, a Small Gun master gives you barebone sniper, assault, pistoleer and the like mastery, and most specialized perks are for V.A.T.S only, right? I count 8 V.A.T.S perks. If you don't use V.A.T.S, those perks are worthless for more generalize damage perks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017