The pulpy references of Fallout

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Aurelius Of Phoenix, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Aurelius Of Phoenix

Aurelius Of Phoenix First time out of the vault

Mar 9, 2018
    Fallout especially Bethesda's fallout has a lot of references in pulp magazines like weird tales or amazing stories. I believe these are some of their few good additions to the canon.

The silver shroud is a reference to Walter B. Gibson's The Shadow

For more on the Shadow Here:

Grognak The Barbarian is an obvious reference to Robert E. Howard's Conan The Barbarian

For more on Conan The Barbarian Here:

Also Robert E. Howard wrote for Weird Tales which H.P. Lovecraft also wrote for.

So someone at Bethesda has an interest in old pulpy characters and writers, this is one thing I'd like to see expanded on in the new fallout games. Like how the elder scrolls has books why can't Fallout have pulpy novels based on Grognak, Shroud, or the mechanist. I'd also like to see more radio dramas in the future.

Did y'all notice any other references and do you like these pulpy references?

Also what would lore additions that Bethesda made did you like and believe should be expanded on?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Pariah Dog

Pariah Dog Smugdog

Jun 28, 2018
    The pulpy stuff is stuff I actually kind of like seeing in Fallout. Honestly, the whole SCIENCE! schtick has its origins in pulp and schlocky scifi/horror (Giant Ants being possibly a nod to THEM! in particular, come to think of it), so playing with this aspect is something I have to begrudgingly give Bethesda.

Additions? Well, if VB is considered to be canon and not apocryphal we had what was effectively the start of a space force. We didn't have MUCH of one yet, but it would be safe to assume that Captain Cosmic and Jangles the Moon Monkey (was that what it was called? forget) wasn't the only article of popular media revolving around space at that time.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. Aurelius Of Phoenix

Aurelius Of Phoenix First time out of the vault

Mar 9, 2018
    Yeah, Fallout 3's quest about the giant ants was even called THOSE! so it's definitely a reference, and with the whole sea of tranquility painting in the museum of freedom we were fighting the Chinese on the Moon so we definitely had a space force. The new creation club release really fleshed out Captain Cosmos and Jangles the Moon Monkey a lot more than the base game as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found a great artist who made some pulp themed New Vegas art on Deviant Art seems like a great artist: https://www.deviantart.com/eyeofsemicolon/gallery/

1. One For My Baby

He has a handful of other ones as well so I'd check him out!

• [Like] [Like] x 4