What has Bethesda done now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Risewild, May 9, 2019.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    When it comes to gaming we are ironically experiencing one of the best and worst age at the same time ... on one hand it was never as easy to get and support some really good games and concepts out there. Like as how I mentioned gog. But you can also get a lot of indie-games and what not. That's the really awesome part. And there are still some really good studios out there which throw out high quality games with interesting ideas.

The other side is this almost predatory behaviour many large companies adopted. They downright shit on their consumers and fans and they even ask for more ... it's incredible the amount of punishment some take from EA and others. DRM, gambling mechanics, pre-order-scams and all that shit around it, yes I call it scams because that's how shitty it is. In some cases you're paying the full price for a bugged game because someone thought it would be awesome to let people pay for being bugtesters.

I am so glad that I decided to really only go with the positive side of gaming. I am very carefully choosing my games now, I don't buy them on a whim, unless they are extremely cheap. I am just to old to deal with all this bullshit that's just frustrating me.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  2. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I think the problem is that many gamers today don't realize how bad big companies treat them.

I hate falling in the stereotypes, but no big company would be able to get away with what they do today in the gaming world if this was the 80's or 90's.
    Consumers wouldn't fall for it and would give a huge backlash that would badly hurt the company.

These days people are very passive and the number of fanboys (I also hate this word) that shill real criticism is staggering.
    I call it the "sport's club syndrome", where people will blindly defend against any criticism aimed at their sport's club, like the criticism is aimed at them. I used to call it "sport's club syndrome" because it was usually visible in sports fans, but now it happens with most brands, if someone likes those brands, they are at risk of developing this. It's very strange seeing this happening with companies/brands.

3. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I guess gaming simply matured. Video games have been more like a niche. Compared to today and other forms of entertainment like Music or Movies.

4. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Yeah, gaming matured and gamers became more immature or something. :rofl:

Although I think one of the big factors for this, is that people now live more comfortably and have enough money that they can buy games before release, season passes, bundle of several games all at once, etc. That they don't care if a company is scummy or not.

I remember back when I was a kid, I would have to manage my lunch money (sometimes even skip lunch altogether) in a way I could save some so I could afford a game if I saved for more than an year. If the game was sucky or the company was trying to ripoff the consumer, I would immediately see it and would remember it, I wouldn't buy games from them anymore, because it was hard to get the money for games in the first place.

If people have to go to some extent to be able to afford games, they would be more critical of companies, but like I said, people live more comfortably these days, so they don't see a reason to be critical of gaming companies.

Games are the new circus, and people will always want their circus, no matter what. :aiee:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  5. Squadcar

Squadcar Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 1, 2018
    Games have a much wider appeal now. As they simplify their gameplay and make accessing them initially more and more affordable the worse it will get. How many random people who hardly play games do you think you could into Skyrim vs. something like Morrowind? I'd say a lot more people are willing to play Skyrim.

It's simple and easy to understand. It lets you do everything you want in one playthrough that you want. It appeals to a wider audience because they don't need to invest time into the game to feel satisfied. You can give them some legendary loot and they're happy with it. They don't need a good quest, they need to see their level up and their daedric bow that does 10% more damage to Draugr.

They are still more niche than music and movies for sure but they're drifting further away from that. Mobile gaming counting as traditional gaming has also broken down that barrier quite a bit. Assuming if Google Stadia and other similar services become become a success it would help make games even less of a niche since you could hop in and out without the investment of a console.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    While there is some schadenfreude from seeing Bethesda being the butt of jokes, I get the distinct feeling that when TES 6 comes out in a semi-stable state, gamers will go back to boot-licking Bethesda.

I'd say another part of the problem lies with how simplified games that these triple-A companies spit out are being played by impressionable young people and people who are not big into gaming but are big into the spectacle games have. So to them, those games are the peaks of their experience and thus, they seek out similar kinds of stuff but few realize the genuine gems that do exist but are not as simple to get into. Plus the latter group of people tend to seek out games that appeal to their real life interests, hence why too many of my acquaintances always buy and play FIFA.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...I Remember...

Sep 11, 2010
    Well, to be fair you should have picked something halfway decent instead of Morrowind. :V