Afterfall Goes Console

Morbus

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
From the official site:<blockquote>It is our pleasure to inform all of our fans, that gossips about Afterfall console releasing are 100% true. Officially there will be an Afterfall conversion for next gen consoles, which will see the day light in more less the same time as PC. The word "conversion" was not used by an accident, because this is what the Afterfall console version will be - direct port from PC. So we would like to calm down all exacting gamers, that this movement won't cause any "cuts" in story or in graphic - we're still making pure cRPG.

However two things will change. First, console conversion give us opportunity to reach gamers which don't have appropriate PCs to have fun with the game, and by so to enlarge group of recipients. Second is the game control. In console version you will of course explore the world with pad, however PC player will have choice between standard keyboard+mouse control and pad.</blockquote>

So, in essence "screw you all, we are doing this the way our sponsors want us to. Forget the mouse only gameplay, this is a console RPG, so you will be able to play, either with the mouse+wasd config, or with a xbox 360 pad on your pc because this are a games for the windows game.

<intoxicate>OMG u r all haterz this game wil roxxorz</intoxicate>

I've given up on Afterfall, it's slowly becoming vapourware, and if it ever sees daylight, it will be far cry from what was promised.

I don't have any problem with console games, but this is just more reason to doubt the game. These days, multiplatform development is for the big boys, not little start-ups. They should target the PC first and port it to consoles if it does well.

Afterfall is selling out.

Complex Turn-Based Combat? RPG mechanics? Moral Ambiguity? Say goodbye. Say hi to crappy console porting, first person vision, excessive ammounts of combat, l33t c00l gr@ph3cs, retartdified dialogue and shooter mechanics.

I don't know anything about this game so I have no comment on whether it's getting dumbed down or not, but:

Slaughter Manslaught said:
Complex Turn-Based Combat?

I think it's worth noting that turn based gaming never died out on consoles and handhelds, and it could be argued that there is more of a market for a deep turn based RPG on consoles than there is on PC.

I've always kind of thought that the reason Morrowind did so well on XBOX and spawned the consoleized sequels Oblivion and Fallout 3 was because console gamers have never gotten to sink their teeth into any remotely deep western RPG.

You could net a large amount of console gamers with a deep console RPG, trouble is you can net far more with Oblivion. However there certaintly is a market.

Here is proof of Computus Elitis, an animal of the Video Game Kingdom. This creature believes that it's method of game playing, the computer, is superior to all. This creature acts like it is superior to the console genus, and insults them with such names like "consoletard", "console kiddie", and "idiots". The animal will go berserk and attack via Internet if a computer game is ported to a console, despite previous opinions of the game.

Edit: Why the flying fuck should we care if it is now mouse+keyboard? Obviously everyone who owns a computer has a keyboard unless they are an idiot or broke theirs and are replacing it. I don't see how it could affect the game save making movement less tedious (and less noisy. I hate hearing CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, and so on).

I'm an ex Forlorn World project team member, so I was always having problems with "liking" Afterfall (aka. Burzuazja).

So I'm not surprised :)

Gentlemen said:
Here is proof of Computus Elitis, an animal of the Video Game Kingdom. This creature believes that it's method of game playing, the computer, is superior to all. This creature acts like it is superior to the console genus, and insults them with such names like "consoletard", "console kiddie", and "idiots". The animal will go berserk and attack via Internet if a computer game is ported to a console, despite previous opinions of the game. .

You are correct in theory, however my powers of induction tell me that the game shall be inferior to what was already a doubtful product.

It is our pleasure to inform all of our fans, that gossips about Afterfall console releasing are 100% true.

Oh and it's our pleasure to hear that...For realz :roll:
Another one bites the dust.

I`m still willing to give this game a chance but i really have low hope now that it`ll the CRPG we were hoping for. I really need to see some gameplay. Ah well there is still... Shelter! :P

Gentlemen said:
Here is proof of Computus Elitis, an animal of the Video Game Kingdom. This creature believes that it's method of game playing, the computer, is superior to all. This creature acts like it is superior to the console genus, and insults them with such names like "consoletard", "console kiddie", and "idiots". The animal will go berserk and attack via Internet if a computer game is ported to a console, despite previous opinions of the game.
You are right when you say that between Consoles and PC is not so much of a difference. Considering that Oblivion [sadly] sold on pretty much all platforms rather well even though when its values as RPG are rather poor.

Gentlemen said:
Here is proof of Computus Elitis, an animal of the Video Game Kingdom. This creature believes that it's method of game playing, the computer, is superior to all. This creature acts like it is superior to the console genus, and insults them with such names like "consoletard", "console kiddie", and "idiots". .
:facepalm:
The term "console kiddie" comes from the fact that the average age of a console gamer used to be considerably lower than that of a game-playing PC user. Moreover, while the difference in age demographics may be a bit less pronounced today, it is still there and it is still quite noticeable. With some consoles, the gap has even expanded, quite substantially: 52% of European DS owners and 28% PSP owners are 14 years old and under. Next time you decide to make a baseless accusation, you better get your facts straight, kid.

BBC Gamers in the UK said:
Device Preference:

Age Group 6 - 10 Gamers
These young gamers play across all four platforms, but the PC is the most popular, very closely followed by consoles... 67% also play on the more popular handhelds... It’s likely that parents are getting involved with the type of games this age group play, as Educational games are second on the “most played” genre list, with Puzzle/Board/Quiz games coming in third.

Age Group 11 - 15 Gamers
This group tends to opt for consoles first (particularly the PlayStation 2), PCs second, and mobile gaming third.

Age Group 16 - 24 Gamers
Again the PlayStation 2 and the PC come out on top, although they were much nearer in preference level (at 71% for PlayStation 2s and 67% for PCs) than either of the previous two groups... The answers of this group characterises more of an obvious move away from the gaming patterns of the 6-10 and 11-15 year old groups and also demonstrated the PC moving up to meet, although not overtaking, consoles in popularity.

Age Group 25 - 35 Gamers
But this time the PC has just pulled into the lead over the PlayStation 2 in order of platform preference and now commands 64% compared to the PlayStation 2’s 60%... The gamers in this group seem to be looking for something a bit more cerebral in what they play...

Age Group 36 - 50 Gamers
40% of this group also agreed that there were too many racing, shooting and fighting games on the market at the moment; although 12% ranked First-Person Shooters as their favourite genre. There is also a high proportion of this group (40%) that game on just one platform only, likely to be a PC or a PlayStation 2. This group is where the PC surges ahead in platform popularity, beating back the PlayStation 2 by a strong margin – 76% to 50%. It’s interesting to see that this group gave the highest support for the statement: “I think games could be used for education as well as for entertainment.”

http://crystaltips.typepad.com/wonderland/files/bbc_uk_games_research_2005.pdf

I know one of two (or more) elderly people at this place:
http://www.gameboomers.com that have problems using wsad movement or the keyboard for both. This is due to arthritis and other things that happens to you when you grow old. I have no problem using the wsad and keybaord; I'd rather use the mouse, though.

And many adventuregames (which is what the site gameboomer's is all about) do have first person perspective i.e. Samorost, Zork, or Nikopol. I doubt it is the first person perspective that will seem problematic to me or other players of adventure gamers or rpgs.
Many rpgs also have the first person perspective e.g. the old Might and Magic games.

I don't quite understand the use of the term 'next gen console'? Shouldn't it be 'current gen console' as they probably are developing it for the PS3 and the Xbox 360...

I, personally, have no problems with Afterfall being ported or converted from the PC to the Xbox 360 or the PS3. As long as the game is being developed for the first, just like DA: Origins, I'm just happy that many more people will get to play Afterfall.

And what is wrong with shooter mechanics? It depends on how it is done. In Far Cry, the gameplay is really hard, and it has shooter mechanics, in Gears of War like in Mass Effect, you can take cover. And the gameplay in Call of Duty 4 is really great, too. And you can just add in stats, abilities and skills. And then you could have a great rpg game with shooter combat. Or a shooter game with rpg stats.

I don't know if the story in Afterfall will have moral ambiguity or retardified dialogue since it is know (also) being convcrted (developed) for consoles. Bioshock came out for consoles, too. That didn't hurt its story, did it? Resistance: Fall of Man seem to be having a great story, too.

I don't quite understand the use of the term 'next gen console'?

Its a buzzword, nothing more. They're so next-gen that good computers are superior. Since two years ago.

And what is wrong with shooter mechanics? It depends on how it is done. In Far Cry, the gameplay is really hard, and it has shooter mechanics, in Gears of War like in Mass Effect, you can take cover. And the gameplay in Call of Duty 4 is really great, too. And you can just add in stats, abilities and skills. And then you could have a great rpg game with shooter combat. Or a shooter game with rpg stats.

The problem is that FPS games are very popular. So, to appeal to FPS players, they take out the RPG from combat and dump more FPS content. Look at Deus Ex. That's HOW you do a hybrid. Look at Fallout 3. That's how you you DO A BAD HYBRID. Fallout is mediocre as both as a RPG, as a FPS and as a FPS/RPG Hybrid. Combat is just made of fail and suckage. And there so many dungeon crawls that you will want to kill yourself by the endgame.

I'm not ready to give up hope completely for Afterfall. At least not until it gets released and I read some impressions from people here on the game. I don't think the adding of gamepad support for the PC version or even the porting of it to consoles necessarily means that the game will be inferior from its original vision, but of course they are not exactly positive signs either.

I somehow know that 'next gen console' are buzzwords. I was just thinking that the next gen consoles must be the Xbox 720 and the PS4, not the current gen consoles that is the PS3 and the Xbox 360

I have no problem with Afterfall using shooter combat as long as it is good shooter combat like the ones used in Call of Duty 4. I agree that Fallout 3 and in part, Mass Effect, is the way not to do hybrid rpg/fps.

Bethesda did what they do best when they made Fallout 3. They did an open-ended sandbox game where you could go anywhere; then they threw the dungeon designs from Oblivion in the game.

Let's just hope that Afterfall will have a decent story and good gameplay.

If Afterfall became a first or third person shooter it would ruin the original Idea and what they had originally set out to do. As an Isometric turn-based system there is just more rpg elements you can add while not having to spend huge amount of green on graphics simply because the camera is pulled further away. Someone mention that mass effect played well as a FPS type of RPG. I will agree here and say that Mass effect was a good game. But Mass effect only played well at being Mass effect and not afterfall, it could not compare to a turn based, simply because it is not turn based. Since afterfall was described as such and promised as such, it being an FPS (or the like) would only hurt its content. In a turn base you can choose all sorts of actions or moves unique to themselves. Each player can truly have their own unique character (also since the camera is pulled, while focused on the character but from a almost "birds eye" point of view, it allows a focus on the character and less on the player). In Mass effect, while it had rpg elements (skill and dialogue options), most if it relied heavily on the players skill (except for dialogue, which was more or less Good or Rough (not necessarily evil), nothing really grey lined).

Movement using the point and click method will usually beat out a FPS rpg simply because it adds more options (as well as usually eliminating chances of accidentally clicking the wrong thing simply because something else was in front of you. Seems to be notorious within an FPS or Third person RPGs though). So for me having to useing arrow keys, or the like, isn't good news in my books. Multi-platforming is also a let down. The only way you could have a good Afterfall for multiple platforms is by creating the PC version independently and apart from the console versions. But as we all know they are a small company with no huge financial backup. Therefore they can't afford to split up their team and ultimately they are going to have to dumb down the PC version and possibly an worse console game. I could easily see all platforms suffering with mediocrity simply because they could not stick to their guns and stay with one platform. Another point for "big business" management I guess.

Back