ArcaniA - A Gothic Tale. Gothic ? Quite not ...

Crni Vuk

M4A3 Oldfag oTO
Orderite
Well I have not played the game but a Review I have found tells a lot. And the huge negativity it gets from Gothic fans seems to be true also. Its ... who would have guessed that. Only Gothic in its name ~ for those which know Gotic will understand it, for those which do not know it, letz say its similar to Fallout 1/2 - Fallout 3 ... making a good RPG suddenly for the "casual" market.

I think this Review pretty much sums everything up.

Arcania Review - RPG Watch

The good pat it in it is that he tries to make a review from 3 points. One time from the "casual" player, from the "hardcore" (oh do I hate that word) RPG player and last but not least from a "Gothic" side of view. Its not surprise that it seems ArcaniA fails on both ends, the Hardcore RPG and Gothic RPG side. Letz be honest here, Gothic was never known for its great choice&consequences, it was pretty linear. But at least the world and characters have been always unique and the story was entertaining, exactly cause of the memorable characters. Gothic 3 with all of its bugs and to big ambitions from the start has caused some chaos but it seems to be "ok" now with the community patches. Arcania while trying to be a RPG also tries at the same time to make Gothic more "mainstream" and if you ask me it fails miserably as RPG, at least from what I can read. Its hard to comment on a game that you have not played but I have been undecided about to get it or not. Now I know that as one who likes good RPGs I hvae to pass this.

A few informations from the review:

In random order taken from pages of my notes:
The story is very linear with no meaningful choices or options along the way.

There is no way you could actually do anything other than succeed in ArcaniA -- the worst that happens is that you lose a fight and reload.

I discovered no choice in the entire game that would have a meaningful impact on the story. Most of the dialogue is just a single line for you to "choose" so the dialogue box is little more than a way to pace your reading.

Storyline linearity means that replayability is limited to trying the three specialties of mage, warrior, and ranger.

There are lots of "named" in the game -- but at best they are minibosses of no consequence. Most seemed to be just slightly stronger versions of the rest of the pack you were fighting.

Even with "Quest markers" turned off, you are pretty much led by the nose through quests, if compared to traditional RPGs. Targets are easy to find, dungeons usually are pretty clear in what direction to take, areas you should avoid are "locked," etc. The worst example of this was one time when you actually would have had to search a large area to find someone -- a mage cast a special spell that made bunches of swampweed glow along the path he took. When you approach the NPC who is the target of many quests, the game will go into an automatic cutscene so you cannot miss him.

Graphically weather and daytime changes are impressive, but they have no discernable impact on the story
Steal anything anytime. Take it right off the table where someone is sitting.

There are no consequences for taking anything in the game.

No need to have a lockpicking skill. All chests open in the first part of the story. After that you get a "special key" that lets you play a minigame to open any locked chests.

No hidden traps, only a couple visible traps, and no disarming in the game. I found just one instance where a trap could be disabled (by a lever if you were able to get through some fireballs).
Skills and spells were deeply reduced from G3.

There are no trainers. There are only eight major skills, including just three spells.

All attribute level-ups are automatic.

Fighting seems much easier, at least on normal. Arrows fly in a straight line. Targeting is "kind" for ranged and casting. As a mage I was able to die just twice in the first 3/4ths of the game. Fighting did become much harder in the final quarter of ArcaniA. There is no friendly fire and you cannot harm yourself with area spells. Other than burning, I did not find any other damage over time (like poison) that could affect you. Melee attackers seemed to come one at a time -- ranged attackers did fire at will. All mobs tether back to their starting point if you run far enough.

Crafting is a simple select-and-click if you found/bought the recipe and have collected the ingredients. Craft anywhere -- no workbenches or forges needed.

No needs for repair, rest, food. There are no limits to inventory quantity or weight.

Seems like this is again a game with "monologues" instead of "dialogues" labeled as RPG when in fact it is much closer to some adventure game ... good to know it at least as it saved me some money.

@Dialogues, even better: In case there are more than 1 dialogue options available, the one you have to chose to continue, will be displayed in a different color. It can be seen already in the demo and I found that pretty hilarious. As if the dialogues are so deep and complex, that one can loose the red line and needs some help to come back to the point.

Though I really dont know why they even offer any kind of "dialogue" at all when the only damn choice you have on the screen is a single reply ... I never have seen a sense in that really. Which isnt just a part in ArcaniA but many other "RPGs" as well.

But I guess its all about the ilusion of dialogues when it are infact just monologues.

Yes, it was better if they did full cut scenes. There are only several choices in game.
All other options are just "Tell me about that".
You can't insult NPC to attack you.

You can't attack any NPC that is not your enemy.
And so on...

Not bad hack'n'slash for quick run. Bad Gothic game and RPG.

That reviewer identifies himself as "a Classic RPGer" when he clearly has no idea what the fuck he's talking about. He speaks of Gothic 3 nostalgically, when that was the game that shifted the series from 'Brutal RPG' to 'Buggy, Casual RPG-Lite'.

voxclamant said:
ArcaniA is one of the first major releases by a leading developer using a solid graphics/game engine aimed at the new "Casual RPGer" mass market that all the top RPG developers seem to think is their future -- customers who demand simplicity and easy accessibility in order to try RPGs.

One of the first casual RPGs by a leading dev? Morrowind/KoTOR are immensely casual, console-friendly rpgs; and they were released nearly a decade ago. Also, unlike Arcania; they were blockbuster hits at the time.

Arcania will sell like shit and be forgotten in a week or two.

voxclamant said:
No needs for repair, rest, food. There are no limits to inventory quantity or weight.

He clearly hasn't played Gothic/2. Who gives a shit what the mechanics of G3 were. That pile of trash was broken beyond repair, and was given the collective middle finger by fans of the series.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
One of the first casual RPGs by a leading dev? Morrowind/KoTOR are immensely casual, console-friendly rpgs; and they were released nearly a decade ago. Also, unlike Arcania; they were blockbuster hits at the time.
But Morrowind was from the start designed as "sand box experience" at least somewhat in the foot steps of the previous Elder Scroll games (even though when those have been some kind of dungeon hack experience, or what was called back then roque like games ... pretty old terms yeah) and Kotor at least gave you as Star Wars game the choice of roleplaying. So with Morrowind you always knew what to expect and could enjoy the game as that and I had a lot of fun with it. From Kotor you HAVE to expect a form of casualisation as heavy moral topics just dont fit in a Star Wars setting (Remember Star Wars IS partialy a product for the casual market), I cant expect from them to have the same tone or content like letz say Gothic 1, The Witcher or the same depth as Planescape Tourment. Thats not what I want from the Star Wars setting. So a black vs white scenario is something fits Star Wars what ever if we like that or not. But it is the noble Jedy vs the evil Sith.

From a "usual" RPG stand point I would have simply expected more from ArcaniA and I am not even saying that one has to see it from a point like Gothic or compare it really (even though it has the name ... but what that means ...). Gothic letz be honest was always linear as fuck, the previous games at least as I never have played Gothic 3. But the chances to really chose in Gothic 2 have been small. What made the game a great experience was that it had a rich story and characters. You could do a lot in the world and people would even react to your actions acordingly like stealing goods. In ArcaniA many say that you can take everything and no one will ever do anything. Thats not really aceptable for a usual RPG, not when you want to roleplay a form of "Thief".

Well damn, that's disappointing to hear. I felt the demo was linear and lacked exploration, but was hoping that they just made it linear because of having to cut out a lot of full version content. I loved the exploration in Gothic 3.

Wow, I should get this while I'm waiting for the Divinity 2 expansion.

I know I'll be burned for heresy here, but I'll say that I like what I'm seeing. I absolutely hate "srs bzns" aRPG, and I absolutely hated previous Gothic titles. This one, however, looks promising from my perspective, only more so thanks to how much it looks like Divinity 2.

well if you like Hack n Slash with a few bits of dialogues here and there then I am sure you will enjoy ArcaniA. No reason to complain about that. What I complain about is that the box when you buy it tells you something different. That it is a RPG and not some kind of action adventure.

errr

is it just me or does this sound like it could be a review of bioware/bethesda games?

Crni Vuk said:
well if you like Hack n Slash with a few bits of dialogues here and there then I am sure you will enjoy ArcaniA. No reason to complain about that. What I complain about is that the box when you buy it tells you something different. That it is a RPG and not some kind of action adventure.

I guess this part would sort of bother me:

All attribute level-ups are automatic.

I tend to like h&s if it also gives me a lot of freedom to customize the character. In short, I'm a big Divinity series fan now. I think. Anyway, I'll post my impressions about Arcania when I get to try it out, hopefully this weekend.

hence why I dont see arcania really as RPG. I mean from what I have read someone played the game and stoped to level up on level 14 (meaning he stoped to put any points in skills, the level cap is 30) and he had no trouble to beat the game on "normal" difficulty as literaly all you need to is click, click, role to the side, click click till the enemy is dead.

I think one part of a good RPG are if there are skills that they have a meaning. And not just a simple decision between a fire ball or ice magic. High dexterity should give you some kind of bonus same with high strength or inteligence.

I mean try playing Fallout 1 the "usual" way without ever leveling up ...

Cant bellive no1 mentioned the poor optimization.I get the same lag regardless of video settings.There are invisible walls everywhere u cannot swim,and there is the glitch where when u exit from a dialog scene ur guy spreads his arms like Jesus which is probably the funniest portion in the game due to the complete lack of jokes and puns the previous games in the Gothic series.

It was destroyed by RPG Codex; Sometimes I don't agree with them (I liked Kotors, ME, ME2, DA, and Morrowind) but I won't try this one it apears to be pure new shit.

I hope now they'll just leave "Gothic" in its fucking grave.

Seriously now. Gothic 1 was great. Gothic 2 was good. Gothic 3 was bad. It's addon was crap. ArcaniA (did anyone seriously expected a game with such a name to be good?) is even worse.

So is this game's structure more like Morrowind/Oblivion or is it more like the Witcher? I'm talking the world/exploration department.

I haven't played the Gothic series (well, I tried G3 a long time ago but my computer couldn't handle it) so I don't really have much to compare to. but I did play Risen and enjoyed it a whole lot. I went in expecting a pretty linear game with only minor rpg elements, and that's what I got. and it did it very well. from what I gathered from that review, this game is more in vein with Risen than previous Gothic titles. is this true? I'm pretty interested in checking it out at least, for my casual adventuring needs.

Back