Artificial nucleotide base pair created

Brother None said:
PS: "school-going"? Pretty sure most of our resident Dutchies are older than that.
University is a "type" of school, last time I checked. You do get educated there, n'est-ce pas?
Unless you'd rather call it a whorehouse, which is correct as well.

Ah, the memories... :D

BN said:
Actually I'm pretty sure we don't have a manned mission to Mars because with our current technology as it is we can't afford it. Besides, what's the advantage of sending a manned mission over a space probe? Nada.
THere are no advantages in climbing Mount Everest either. There are no advantages in diving as deep as humanly possible either.

Advantages of manned mission over space probe? Tons, I reckon. Space probes get stuck, move about as fast as snails on valium, can't make decisions on their own, ... they aren't human, in short.

It would help if, in the long run, we plan to put permanent space stations on the Moon and Mars. Manned missions would learn us how to cope with this and that, I guess.

Yeah, SF, but still... In the long run...

:roll:

Oh, who am I kidding. Where stuck here, aren't we? We're stuck on this sad, lonesome planet.

Take that space station down now. Immediately. It's a waste of time and money. And human lives.

I have a good reason to go on Mars - there is the Machine God buried under the surface of the planet, one of Emperor's facets, that holds the secret of the Machine's Spirit. This will eventually lead to the humanity's Golden Age of Colonization.

W40k FTW

Ravager69 said:
I have a good reason to go on Mars - there is the Machine God buried under the surface of the planet, one of Emperor's facets, that holds the secret of the Machine's Spirit. This will eventually lead to the humanity's Golden Age of Colonization.

W40k FTW

:rofl:

Awesome! :clap:

As for Alec's rage at religious people and ethics: My love for Fallout immediately sprang up a potentional "FEV" creation, because in the background story, that's pretty much how it came about - human genetic experimentation :mrgreen:

Praise the emperor...

Anyhow, it's the oldest job that is still feasible today aside from maybe masonry, and it sounds a hell of a lot better than trying to say it's older than asphalt or stucco.

As for the rest of my post, I pretty much agree with you to some extent, I do believe there has to be some ethics towards science in the same for as doctors are required to do no harm.

But as far as the sanctity of the human body, hasn't stopped people from getting piercings, mutilating their block & tackle(in the name of religion might I add), and doing various benign surgeries to prolong life and repair damaged bodies.

Some may argue that it's a step too far down the road of tinkering with the human species itself, and opens up doors that could potentially wipe out the human race if not carefully monitored and protected from such malicious individuals.

However people still engineer guns, people still produce explosives, and people still do damage to each-other on a large scale without genetic engineering, who's to say that they'll be able to do more with it against the benifits of for example the internal combustion engine or rocketry.

Technology is a double edged blade, and we still don't know how to wield it properly yet and many times we cut ourselves, but so far we haven't managed to obliterate ourselves off the face of the earth, not for lack of trying either mind you.

As I said before, bring on that third arm so that when we need it, we won't be asking for a hand from anyone!

It's his title, not his name, however nobody knows his name so they refer to him as The Emperor (there happy now? :P :D)

Don't make me drop a Rokk on your head!

Pray for forgiveness blasphemer, I will surely inform Ordo Hereticus of your actions, so watch your step, heretic.

Anyway, we should concentrate on mastering the possibilites we have now, instead on leaving the job half-done and moving on. There is still a lot to learn about biology and chemistry that exists today.

To say to work on something because everything around them is imperfect is plain silly, to say the least.

Did were firearms perfected before flight was being experimented with (Hell some people still think firearms have quite a ways to go!)

Progress can be found in the strangest places, imagine the boon to medicines if we can tailor antibodies for things like Aids, or cure someone's ailing heart by giving him a shot in the arm and a 'come back next week and we'll see the results'.

In the meantime this could definitely benefit archeology and living history studies, Jurassic Park anyone?

Not to mention Agriculture (Make a living tube sausage the size of a truck that's just fed through a tube until it ripens then is slaughtered, doesn't take up as much space as a cow(for the amount of produce created) and cheapens the process of feeding someone significantly.

Couple this with cloning technology and you got yourself a good ol' body bank, cloned parts made specifically for your body, 0.01% rejection rate guaranteed.

Couple this with Computing and we could have a living computer, the amount of data stored in the human brain is immense, if it could be turned into a readable device for a machine, imagine the potential for storage, not to mention computational speed, only pure optical computing could beat it!

Then we have space travel, with genetic manipulation comes longer lifespans, more durable bodies to be able to make that manned mission to Mars and beyond without the ill effects of constant lack of gravity due to genetic manipulation or the short lifespan which would make any trip further than the moon close to meaningless.

Science excels by taking pieces from active research to make a quilt of sorts, by taking a bit from the guy next to you, you can find yourself coming up with things you may never have dreamed possible on your own without that input.

Yeah, I guess.

Anyway, this is far from practical for now, I shall remain sceptical until some further news will be posted.

Back