Ashley Cheng: nobody's talking

On another note, what is happening to Fallout at the moment is something we have been withnessing for years. The decline of Gaming culture. The "new wave gamers" dont care about the roots. They want flashy, easy,FPS-type and short games so they can spend little time mastering and finishing that what they have bought. Shareholders agree! Shorter games = faster market openings.

What's astounding is that the system is rewarding developers for making more retarded games.

It's like, broken logic.

You make crappy art, and no one exhibits your shit, but now it seems that if they just give some paint to their three year old, throw that up - they get money practically thrown at them.

Bullshit is becoming the new trend.

Re: Actually...

drakesteele said:
Top view was how RPGs were done when all we had was 2-D graphics, and while they were great, technology has moved on.

Already the veins in my head swell.

drakesteele said:
I absolutely LOVED all the Ultima series, and they were flat, top-view, character-based graphics... Heck I used to play Nethack and that was literally characters only. Used to play it for hours.

The set up: "See guys, I'm not a console kid but in fact am an old-time computer RPG fan. I've played them for years. So don't just dismiss me as a moron AKA Oblivion fanboy, OK?"

drakesteele said:
Top view, isometric views, are going back, and not forward. 3D is the current state of the art, and VR is the next level coming.

A preliminary demonstration of his ignorance of the history of computer RPGs, from the 1980s to the present day.

drakesteele said:
You are mistaken if you think otherwise. Trust me. I've been using computers since 1981, and have been a computer technician since I was 16 back in 1986, training people on and fixing their Commodore 64s and Apple ][s, and I've seen the technologies come and go.

And despite having such creds he is still completely clueless.

drakesteele said:
The progression has been:
ASCII top-view (Nethack) -> custom character ASCII top-view (Ultima) -> black and white top-view and isometric views (a few mac RPGs and such) -> Color top-view and isometrics (Fallout 1/2) -> Non-hardware-accelerated 3D (aka Doom) -> DirectX accelerated 3D top/isometric-views (NeverWinter nights) -> Full 3D First-Person (Ultima IX/Morrowind/Oblivion/FALLOUT3)

His neat and tidy timeline is full of inconsistencies and holes.

Let us begin then, though really, my head is spinning.

drakesteele said:
Now if you're counting The Bard's Tale originals and some of the other dungeon crawlers as "First Person" um... No. They were still pictures of hallways. Not quite the same thing. They didn't move in the same way true first-person does. Nice try.

OK Mr. Old-Timer, since you're such a veteran computer gamer, then you should be familiar with an ancient C64 game published by Datasoft called Alternate Reality. It was the first true 1st person (by today's standards) CRPG anyone had ever seen, a real technological breakthrough in its time. We're not talking "pictures of hallways" as you describe Bard's Tale as either, but a full-motion 1st person adventure. Now that was 1986. Meanwhile, 8-bit RPG developers continued to use top-down and iso and "still picture" 1st person ala Bard's Tale for years and years to come, despite this oh so wonderfully immersive, full-motion 1st person perspective that even shitty 8-bit computers were proved capable of handling. Why? Because the focus was upon using workable P&P style game engines and not upon trying to create realistic 1st person, 3D environments. The object was to make a good RPG, not to come up with yet another action game, of which there were so many - exploration, information gathering, and strategic combat, not joystick waggling.

Jesus Christ, look at the SSI AD&D Gold Box series. The graphics were shite yet the game play (if you were an AD&D nerd) was second-to-none. Could SSI have made the graphics better? Could they have focused more on realism AKA IMMERSHUN? Sure, because there were plenty of other 8-bit CRPGs out there with 10x better graphics, but great graphics weren't a priority for the designers of the AD&D computer games. Creating a faithful pen & paper style experience on the computer was. Could you have pulled off big battles with 6 party members vs a roomful of 20 Zenthrim cultists, an undead dragon and three beholders in 1st person? NO, and that's why they used a flat, 2D view.

Fast forward to 1997: Iso-perspective is used for FO1 because it seems the most efficient choice for creating the P&P style experience the developers want. 1997, Sherlock, and they're intentionally choosing a 2D design despite the 3D, 1st person game engines IBM PCs found themselves with the horsepower to handle since at least the beginning of the decade.

For the love of God, there's so much that has been said a thousand times over but guys like you will never get it. FPS and other action games have always been about the latest and greatest eye candy. Most good CRPGs haven't. There is a reason that iso was used for CRPGs in the past (before marketing concerns encroached upon those of game design), just like there is a reason that the Japanese continue to use it for the cheesy RPGs that they continue to release today, despite having access to "new and improved" technology: for tactical battles and role-playing environments in general, 2D/iso/top-down/whatever really works. It's why Origin Systems (you mention yourself a fan) continued to use it for their Ultima series up until the late 90s despite the fact that they had developed a 1st person game engine for their Ultima Underworld series in 1992. You think Origin just didn't have the ability to make any more 1st person RPGs after Underworld? Of course they did, but they instead chose a 2D engine because it was the best choice for a role-playing game..

You act like you are such a long-time computer RPG nut but it's obvious that your knowledge of them is very shallow. I could go on, but... Aw hell, OK, the Baldur's Gate series? Yeah, they were just using shitty, outdated 2D technology because computers weren't capable of handling anything more at the time, right? God damn brilliant reasoning abilities you have.

Anyhow, look back at the history of computer RPGs both distant and near-present, then again if it just doesn't sink in, and you'll see that your "design based on limited technology" argument doesn't pan out for shit.

Also, a 3D view *in no way* conflicts with an isometric view. The 'technology' of today isn't first-person view, but rather 3d-engines.

Just look at VB. Proof that 3D can definately work with Isometric view. I do sort of wish that the camera wasn't so static in VB though as it feels a bit clunky and also it could be so easy to implement a First Person view in VB without having to change the game into a FPS I mean it has worked in the past with RTS games eg. Homeworld Cataclysm and the RTS Machines so I don't see why not. (those games feature First Person Camera options, I think Homeworld Catacylsm's FP camera system is a great example of how the Fallout VB FP Camera would have worked.. it doesn't interfere with the gameplay one bit and is pretty fun to play as a scout in FP) the idea has worked before. (it was taken out in Homeworld 2 probably because it was deemed a feature no one used/needed.. which is funny :D)

I think they went a little overkill on the design with Fallout3 and dis-reguarded all the design documents for VB which actually sounded pretty fun.

mr_cyberpunk said:
I think Homeworld Catacylsm's FP camera system is a great example of how the Fallout VB FP Camera would have worked.. it doesn't interfere with the gameplay one bit and is pretty fun to play as a scout in FP) the idea has worked before. (it was taken out in Homeworld 2 probably because it was deemed a feature no one used/needed.. which is funny :D)
You do realise Homeworld is a real-time space strategy game which takes place in space where every angle (360 degree) has to be monitored ?
It's really different from Fallout. Fallout is to simulate a pen-and-paper game experience on a flat surface on a computer. Therefore, isometric view is used to simulate the player's perspective in the game.

Per said:
DarkLegacy said:
bluurg, is that you, Rosh? :shock:

Rosh wouldn't have referenced Baldur's Gate in anything resembling a positive fashion.

Maybe he dosent want no one to know its him and is missleading you all...

I too suspect that bluurg is Rosh, they share the same style. As for the Ip adress it's childs play to chage it, a simple way to have ones Ip is via an email "IP Address Using Email Message Headers" pop that IP in a proxy create a new nma acount and voilà, you have an undercover Rosh.

I'm not sure if I'm more worried about what Bethesda takes out of Fallout as opposed to what they'll add. I mean honestly, can you imagine Fallout without Rad Scorpions, drug usage, and dark humor? I know I can't. It's almost futile to assume we'll get what really want which I think I can safely say is something similar to our original love child *Fallout*. By that I mean the plot, the dark humor, the characters and of course the 50's art style, etc. Lets just hope the folks at Bethesda aren't popping too many mentats....

-=- Mentats

Mentats said:
I'm not sure if I'm more worried about what Bethesda takes out of Fallout as opposed to what they'll add. I mean honestly, can you imagine Fallout without Rad Scorpions, drug usage, and dark humor? I know I can't. It's almost futile to assume we'll get what really want which I think I can safely say is something similar to our original love child *Fallout*. By that I mean the plot, the dark humor, the characters and of course the 50's art style, etc. Lets just hope the folks at Bethesda aren't popping too many mentats....

-=- Mentats

I don't think they're taking mentats, it's more like they're overdosing on psycho...

PaladinHeart said:
The ideal Fallout 3, to me, would include first person exploration and switch to third person isometric turn based whenever combat is initiated. Otherwise... I just don't see it working.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I know a lot of people here would love full-time ISO, but I'd be happy to be able to explore the world in first person as long as the combat is ISO/turn-based.

The one thing I found a bit tedious in the first two games was trying to move the party through a town and watching them zig-zag around until they reached the destination. Having said that a fully ISO game using today's technology would probably handle this a lot better.

Mick

zioburosky13 said:
You do realise Homeworld is a real-time space strategy game which takes place in space where every angle (360 degree) has to be monitored ?
It's really different from Fallout. Fallout is to simulate a pen-and-paper game experience on a flat surface on a computer. Therefore, isometric view is used to simulate the player's perspective in the game.

I think you didn't quite get mr_cyberpunk's views when he's referring to Homeworld Cataclysm.
Yes, Homeworld is a RTS located in space, and where actually, 1080° are to monitored ( it's the only spatial RTS I can think of that really used all axis of movement. Hello Star - Help, I'm stuck in 2D with elevation !! - craft .)

So the default camera system basically allows you to focus on whatever object you want, pan, tilt, zoom in, zoom out.
You even have access to a strategic holomap with eyes on the whole current "sector" of space.

They introduced a FP view in Homeworld : Cataclysm where you could put the viewpoint aboard any ship, which was kinda fun when you used it on a scout vessel in formation around a huge ship.
Like an easy way to get your stomach rid of that last meal you just had.
What is useful in the gameplay ? No.
Was it fun ? Hell yeah, in big battles, provided you could spare a few seconds without issuing orders, you could get that small glimpse of space sim IMMERSHUN.

The point of mr_cyberpunk is just : hell, ok, if to Bethesda the FP or the over-the-shoulder cam is *to be* the default view to satisfy the god IMMERSHUN and its lust for eye candy, let it be, as long as they give us an damn ISO-like view with basic camera controls and no visibility problems.
And of course the ability to actually *play* the game this way, not just spectating.
Let us play the game this "boring way".

Edit: ok, I know for the Starcraft thing. It's supposed to be a RTS in a spatial/SF context *with* infantry. And it's hard to mix space vessels and infantry without resorting heavily on zoom in/zoom out.
Edit 2: Isn't the SpellCheck functionnality a bit broken ?

Re: Actually...

drakesteele said:
Top view was how RPGs were done when all we had was 2-D graphics, and while they were great, technology has moved on.

I absolutely LOVED all the Ultima series, and they were flat, top-view, character-based graphics... Heck I used to play Nethack and that was literally characters only. Used to play it for hours.

Top view, isometric views, are going back, and not forward. 3D is the current state of the art, and VR is the next level coming.

The progression has been:
ASCII top-view (Nethack) -> custom character ASCII top-view (Ultima) -> black and white top-view and isometric views (a few mac RPGs and such) -> Color top-view and isometrics (Fallout 1/2) -> Non-hardware-accelerated 3D (aka Doom) -> DirectX accelerated 3D top/isometric-views (NeverWinter nights) -> Full 3D First-Person (Ultima IX/Morrowind/Oblivion/FALLOUT3)

Now if you're counting The Bard's Tale originals and some of the other dungeon crawlers as "First Person" um... No. They were still pictures of hallways. Not quite the same thing. They didn't move in the same way true first-person does. Nice try.

so many mis-conceptions.

1) original games were text entry first person view games. then ultimas did iso/1st mixxed. then sierra did side-scrollers. and YES the BT and other dungeon crawlers was first person view. thats what DEFINES first person view. a view that the person would see if they were at that location. thats why its called 1st person because 1st person in english language is talking/seeing as the person. iso-metric was the LAST style ever used. even 3rd person was used. progression went: 1st person ( FPS view ), 3rd person ( shoulder cam ), then 2nd person ( iso-metric ). either you skipped a few games, or didnt pay as much attention as you claim.

2) fallouts graphics are actually 3d graphics converted to sprite graphics. your monitor shows objects as a 2d object. it does not matter what technology is used to generate the object, if you think the engine displays it in anything other than 2d you are extremely incorrect. we do not yet have 3d monitors. they generated 3d objects, converted them into fixxed sprites due to technology, and displayed them like the 2d objects they are.

as an aside, the ultima games used a top-down map for city/map travel, and a first person for dungeons. even for aklabeth which is ultima 0. they did not have iso-metric view until ultima 4.

I understand V.A.T.S. this way:

Most RTwP systems limit the unbalancing effect of pausing by keeping the turns from their parent turn based system, but having everyone's turns occur simultaneously, at regular intervals. When you pause and choose an action, that action waits in a queue until the next turn.

Fallout 3 ditches the turns and gives you a continuously refilling store of action points. You wait until the bar gets high enough, and then you pause and choose your action, which occurs immediately. All NPCs are acting in real time.

This makes sense for a single-character game with a focus on ranged combat, because it allows you to choose exactly when and where to attack. It would be impossible to use cover sensibly if you couldn't predict when your gun would go off. The system would be fiddly and irritating if you had to keep track of six people's AP bars and explicitly order all of their attacks, but that's not an issue here.

But! You can also attack while unpaused, if you aim the gun yourself. I suppose this would serve as the equivalent of X-Com's interrupt shots or DND's attacks of opportunity. It has the side-effect of "dramatically" slowing your AP recharge rate.

I can only think of one reason to have one combat mode impede the other: to force the player to focus on one or the other. If I'm right, that means it's possible to focus on V.A.T.S. and use it more or less exclusively. You move around in real time, but you can let die rolls decide the outcome of your attacks; aiming is optional. If someone happens to wander into your crosshairs, you can choose to take the shot, but it means a longer wait until your next AP attack.

On the other hand, you could just run and gun, occasionally pausing to go into your inventory or try out a disarm shot.

Sounds plausible, right? I wish someone would confirm it.

The argument that most RPGs nowadays are FP is flawed anyway.
Not even one good RPG of these days is(or will be) FP.
I challenge people to actually FIND a RPG other than Oblivion that was or will be FP.
FPP limits the options for RPGs and supports a more twitch-based gameplay. I'd say simply that there's no way ever that FP RPGs are going to be as "role playing" as iso or top-down. They have failed anyway already.

The core gameplay was in 3rd-person view though even in Bllodlines!
You just went FP when you were shooting with a gun and I've said again that when that happened you were playing an FPS.
Anyhow, even that example can say a lot... Since on the economical side it failed miserably, even though it was admittedly a very good game.

Jimmious said:
The core gameplay was in 3rd-person view though even in Bllodlines!
You just went FP when you were shooting with a gun and I've said again that when that happened you were playing an FPS.
Anyhow, even that example can say a lot... Since on the economical side it failed miserably, even though it was admittedly a very good game.

Bloodlines failed because of Activision pushed Troika to finish the game which contains tons of bugs. Not to mention the unpolished game engine.
Althought the trio's game has many bugs (due to insane amount of scripting), most of them are really impressive and gives better roleplay experience than other so call RPG game on the market.

Curse you push-alot publisher! :twisted:

Back