Bethesda going out of its way to ignore New Vegas

your being unfair in your post; you only counted PC reviews, and while i don't know what percentage PC sales count for the fallout games, they don't count for all of them and they aren't the average of all reviews. in your gamespot example you count the console reviews, which are more favorable towards all of the games, but especially towards fallout 4. console gamer's make up a fair amount of sales for fallout 4, and to exclude them from the total reviews isn't fair. not that it really matters in the end, what matters is amount of sales. the only reason a developer like bethesda would care about reviews is if it impacted sales; which it clearly didn't.
I counted only PC games because that thread I posted that, was about if people still preferred Fallout 2 over Fallout 3. Since Fallout 2 wasn't released for consoles I couldn't include console player ratings of games.
But I can go to the extra mile now for this thread, since I have a couple hours to spare.

• Fallout:
    • PC - 8.8
  • Fallout 2:
    • PC - 9.1
  • Fallout Tactics:
    • PC - 7.6
  • Fallout 3:
    • PC - 7.8
    • PS3 - 7.9
    • XBOX 360 - 8.5
  • Fallout 3 GOTY:
    • PC - 8.6
    • PS3 - 8
    • XBOX 360 - 8.3
  • Fallout New Vegas:
    • PC - 8.7
    • PS3 - 7.9
    • XBOX 360 - 8.3
  • Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition:
    • PC - 8.7
    • PS3 - 7.8
    • XBOX 360 - 8.4
  • Fallout 4:
    • PC - 5.5
    • PS4 - 6.6
    • XBOX One - 6.4
Let's throw The Elder Scrolls games there too:

• Arena:
    • Not Available on Metacritic
  • Daggerfall:
    • PC - 8.3
  • Morrowind:
    • PC - 8.9
    • XBOX 360 - Not Available. Only has one review and it gives it 10
  • Morrowind GOTY:
    • PC - 8.9
    • XBOX 360 - 8.7
  • Oblivion:
    • PC - 8.1
    • PS3 - 8.0
    • XBOX 360 - 8.7
  • Oblivion GOTY:
    • PC - 8.9
    • PS3 - 8.7
    • XBOX 360 - 8.9
  • Skyrim:
    • PC - 8.2
    • PS3 - 6.5
    • XBOX 360 - 8.5
  • Skyrim SE:
    • PC - 5.8
    • PS4 - 7.0
    • XBOX One - 7.3
    • Switch - 8.2
  • Skyrim VR:
    • PC - 6.5
    • PS4 - 8.1
So you can see that in all platforms, Fallout 4 had the lowest rank from all Fallout games that are not spinoffs and even lower than Fallout Tactics too.
Skyrim SE has the lowest rank on all platforms except Switch, because it is the only TES game on switch, but even with a 8.2 on Switch, it's still a lower rank than most other games.
Original Skyrim only has a better rank than Original Oblivion on PC and only by 0.1, but on the other platforms, it gets smashed with just a 6.5 on Playstation while Original Oblivion has a 8.0, and a 8.5 on XBox while Oblivion has 8.7. It gets smashed even more if compared with Oblivion GOTY, which surpasses even Skyrim on PC and XBox with a 8.9 (the highest value for a TES game on this entire list and only achieved by Oblivion GOTY and Morrowind/Morrowind GOTY).

So here you have it, Fallout 4 and Skyrim (all versions) are rated on average and on all platforms as worse than the previous games on their IPs.

Last edited:
So here you have it, Fallout 4 and Skyrim (all versions) are rated on average and on all platforms as worse than the previous games on their IPs.
ok, again, theyre the best selling games in their franchises and people plenty of people still like them. my point is that bethesda has no reason to care about new vegas because its the worst selling fallout game, and everybody knows about their other games.

i wrote this at midnight yesterday so it sounds really gay. what i meant was that their has been a fair amount of controversy around obsidian and from what I can recall pillars of eternity 2 wasn't seen favorably by a lot of people around the time it was released

Yet, they make a few references to it in Fallout 4. The argument of "it was the worst selling game therefore they don't care for it", even though it hardly sold sell less than Fallout 3, is utter crap. They know a lot of people claim New Vegas as the best 3D Fallout (they get tweets constantly) and as much as they want to hide behind the sales of their Fallous and say they not care, they care.

They are humans after all and it must sting to know a lot of people claim the Fallout they didn't even made is the best 3D Fallout game. It even looks like they resent Morrowind because it reminds a lot of people of the time they didn't made crappy games.

Bethesda is bad but they are a business first actually. If it's in their financial interest they would allow Obsidian to do more Fallout but Fallout as an IP is pretty much seen as a Bethesda title and a lot of people irl still dislike Fallout New Vegas.

I wouldn't imagine a company like Bethesda to have petty rivalries that would get in front of business. It's immature. The reason they don't acknowledge Fallout New Vegas is the same reason why they don't acknowledge any game that isn't Skyrim and that is because it's not relevant. Fallout New Vegas is a game from 8 years ago made by a different company.

ok, again, theyre the best selling games in their franchises and people plenty of people still like them.
But the thing is, that plenty of people is not that much. That is what I'm trying to say.
Fallout 4 sold 13.89 million games, but of that only 62% of players had fun with the game (6.2 is the average of all FO4 rates). We know this because of the rates players in all platforms gave. This means that 38% of players gave it a low/dislike rate.
So only 8.6 million enjoyed the game enough to give it a good rate. If people who didn't like Fallout 4 decide to not buy the next Fallout game, Bethesda will lose 5 million copies sold from those disgruntled players. Even if some buy the next Fallout game, and if Bethesda still keeps their business practice, it will be highly probable that those players will definitely not buy Fallout 6. This business practice of streamlining is reaching it's breaking point, because as seen, many players (almost half of them) didn't like Fallout 4. Fallout 4 sold a lot but many don't like it, this will reflect in the sales of the next game.

And this is all without taking into account all the disaster Fallout 76 has been, I bet there will be quite a few people that will skip on buying Fallout 5 thanks to Fallout 76, there is the Creation Club shenanigans too, which made some people not like games with it included (which is obvious Bethesda will include in all their future titles), there are the things with people who got tired of Bethesda bugs. What once was a "charming" part of Bethesda games, is now seen as lazy and annoying, and it's starting to put players off.

There is even quite a number of players that compare Bethesda with EA now. And will boycott it.

This means that Bethesda needs to change something, because although it sold more, it also has a much larger % of people not liking the newer games in their IPs. Which means less people buying the next game at release and only buying it really cheap on sale or not buying it at all. This is a self destructive path they are on. And the numbers over time, prove it.

There will always be fanbois, but if Bethesda keeps going like this, their numbers will dwindle until it's not profitable anymore.

To be honest, I think that is why Bethesda decided to start the new Starfield IP. It's supposed to be the change to attract new players, because Fallout and TES IPs are getting less and less good reputation and results. So with a new IP, it will attract all the people who stopped buying Fallout and TES because they will hope it will be an improved game based on the previous games they enjoyed (a kinda return to their roots), it will not be like that, of course. But people's hopes are too strong on some to be able to resist the tiny chance of "Starfield will be like the good old Bethesda games".

Starfield feels like a knee-jerk response to Star Citizen's alarming ability to vacuum up money on good faith alone. I honestly want to know how much of that decision was influenced by SC's kickstarter success. I'm pretty cynical about this but there's no way it's a coincidence that they suddenly decided to shoot for the stars, around the same time it was announced that Star Citizen had crowd funded 200 million plus dollars.

According to something I watched Bethesda had wanted to make an original sci-fi game for a long time and now they see an upwards trend towards sci-fi genres and feel like now is the best time to try it out.

Sci-fi's always been semi-popular if you ask me.

I just want to see Starfield and Outer Worlds released, so I can compare the design philosophies of both games devs.

I just want to see Starfield and Outer Worlds released, so I can compare the design philosophies of both games devs.
you can already do that with fallout 3 and new vegas tho.

the TL;DGAS version goes like this

obsidian:

bethesda:

the TL;DGAS version goes like this

obsidian:

bethesda:

The more I hear James say “what were they thinking?” the more his voice starts to deteriorate in my head. What I mean by that is by the end of the video he sounds actually retarded but I think it’s just because I listened to him say the same thing over and over and over again. It’s a nice compilation tho.

Not in the same way thought.
Fallout New Vegas design philosophy was "restrained" in several ways due to them having to follow Bethesda's guidelines and the lack of time to make the game.

I want to see the design philosophies in these two games, that are two completely new sci-fi IPs, from these two companies. They will have no "restraints" this time. They can do whatever they want to because it is all new ground and there is no previous lore or IP restrictions.

This is what I'm interested in comparing.

Yeah that's a good point Rise. I still think it's interesting to see how they both did one style of game their own ways (NV and 3) and then also look at new IPs with their own decisions and no restrictions based on other IPs' past and customer expectations.

Tim and Leonard seem hesitant to mention there's only two planets and other small locations for their game because people are expecting Bethesda-style worlds where you can just wander off anywhere for a good while. Something like Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3 or such. I don't think that's what we'll get. We'll get open areas but they won't be that size which I'm fine with because it likely means a more focused and well designed map. Who knows how Bethesda will do Starfield.

Yeah that's a good point Rise. I still think it's interesting to see how they both did one style of game their own ways (NV and 3) and then also look at new IPs with their own decisions and no restrictions based on other IPs' past and customer expectations.

Tim and Leonard seem hesitant to mention there's only two planets and other small locations for their game because people are expecting Bethesda-style worlds where you can just wander off anywhere for a good while. Something like Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3 or such. I don't think that's what we'll get. We'll get open areas but they won't be that size which I'm fine with because it likely means a more focused and well designed map. Who knows how Bethesda will do Starfield.
As long as they do it better than they did Fallout as of late.

As long as they do it better than they did Fallout as of late.
I don't think they see it that way—as an error on their part... I think poor performance is blamed on the fickle market, and that their next offering will follow their same pattern of reduced complexity in even flashier gift-wrap.
streamlining_the_systems.png

I don't think they see it that way—as an error on their part... I think poor performance is blamed on the fickle market, and that their next offering will follow their same pattern of reduced complexity in even flashier gift-wrap.
streamlining_the_systems.png
Oh gods I hope not, but you’re prob right.

Fallout New Vegas design philosophy was "restrained" in several ways due to them having to follow Bethesda's guidelines and the lack of time to make the game.
Still feel bad for this New Vegas not existing. I mean, it would still be Bethesda's version of Gamebryo, but all the improvements the game could have gotten with a more loose schedule.

Back