Bethesda is going to make a Stalker game

The Dutch Ghost

Grouchy old man of NMA
Hello all,

Here is a news tidbit that is going to send some waves through the fan community of the Stalker games but according to Dutch game news site 'Insidegamer'.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/.../nieuws/99371/bethesda-mag-stalker-game-maken

Its not sure if Bethesda has the rights to the Stalker franchise but they definitely have the rights to make a game.

Seems Bethesda is on a binge of getting as much Post Apocalypse themed game titles in its assortment.
Time will tell if this will turn out to be another Fallout 3 like change for the series.

Edit:

At least one reaction already that makes me shudder;

Een S.T.A.L.K.E.R. van het caliber Fallout? Hell yeah!

Translation "A Stalker game of the Fallout(3) caliber, hell yeah"

If I am honest though, I never saw the Stalker franchise as really deep or rich. It was an very interesting game no doubt. But at the end of the day it was still rather a mindless shooter for me. Particularly the second part of the game when you enter the red forrest. Railroaded shooter for the win! And the Add on Call of Prypjat was good. But still only a shooter with a more interesting setting.

But if Beth would make some Stalker game I have the fear that it will be very similar to Fallout 3 in the way how the gameplay mechanics will be simplified. At least the combat in stalker was pretty good with the choices in weapons and gear (night vision and such).

I understand your reasoning Crni Vuk and I won't deny it.
To me the problem feels more like that Bethesda to turn the game into a formula which their marketing people believe will sell as much possible

Having several IPs under one roof (Fallout, Rage, Stalker) diminishes the variety in PA games for people who are interested in them.

keep one thing in mind though: could they possibly get away with turning the Stalker series into another TES-like game? they already have Fallout for their post apocalyptic twist on TES, how could they possibly use the same mold for Stalker?

I mean, they could, but for what reason?

that doesn't mean that they won't come up with their on version of Stalker, whatever that may be. either way, a Stalker game made my Bethesda will probably lose that particular Stalker flavor that was a big part in making the games good for me. by that, I mean the russian accents, the dark and gritty atmosphere, the challenging combat etc. still, will be interesting to see what could become of it if they end up making it.

if they only end up pusblishing such a game, and let someone else develope it, then all I can say is that I'm glad the Stalker franchise isn't completely dead.

aenemic said:
I mean, they could, but for what reason?
because it sells? No clue. I guess they have their formula and they are very successful with it. Why should they change it to something which they cant do anyway? Take a look at Failout 3 or Skyrim. Their first "serious" attempt of "mature" writing. And its still mediocre at best. Sure much much better then Oblivion. But with the words of the Codex here, they had no other way to go then up.

I am not saying this is what will happen with Stalker or that it is what happened with Fallout. I just have the feeling they bought Stalker and Fallout for the names only not because they are fans to any of those franchises. Just a guess of course. I am not even sure about this whole Beth-Bought-Stalker thing. Time will tell.

I have to wonder that if Bethesda Maryland under Todd Howard are banking on a gambit in which the bugginess of the Bethesda line of games cancels out the bugginess of the STALKER games, like when you multiply a negative number by a negative number. In which case, I think Todd Howard is going to have to re-examine the math.

Crni Vuk said:
If I am honest though, I never saw the Stalker franchise as really deep or rich.

Considering the large number of spin-off novels written in the STALKER universe (I think there's like what, at leat 50?), it's certainly rather vast and rich. I've never been a fan, but they seem to be a hit with the general public in the Russian-speaking world.

keep one thing in mind though: could they possibly get away with turning the Stalker series into another TES-like game? they already have Fallout for their post apocalyptic twist on TES, how could they possibly use the same mold for Stalker?

Yeah, a CoD-clone seems more likely. Because that's the only type of shooter Western game companies have been releasing in the last few years.

As for the announcement, my reaction is: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't touch a STALKER game with FO3 "quality".

Back