Bethesda talks Fallout: New Vegas

Cojones said:
Not any longer.

Yeah, Mitsoda's run with Obsidian wasn't a big success. He worked on one of their never-were projects and did a version of Alpha Protocol which has pretty much been canned by now (total project direction change: and people wonder why Sega got pissy)

I think he's been gone from Obsidian for some time now, really.

MrBumble said:
Is there a way to know who is on the project other than begging on their boards ?

Begging won't bring you much I don't think. This is officially shut PR-wise right now, everything has to go through Bethesda for now. I was surprised Sawyer could confirm as much as him being lead :P

"... Accentuate The Positive ..."

"... Accentuate The Positive ..."

BN said:
... You're just a bit hardheaded . But it's ok. We need those. ;)

Fixed?

Well, what set of cheeks would one really wish to ... address?

And BN if you be happy, I be happy. :ok:

Dialing down the snark.:drunk:

""Dust be diamonds, water be wine, happy, happy, happy all the time-time.""

FO:NV regard not intent, FO:NV has FO content!

Do not sub let the drop zone, ... anticipating Ausir's next vertical envelopment ... FO:NV already Wiki'ed! :revolution:

4too

Crni Vuk said:
Mikael Grizzly said:
The endings were finished mostly. Thank Lucas Farts for forcing an early release.

have you ever read on the Star Wars fansite the informations about Kotor2 ? The game has quite a lot of loose endings (like the story around the clones of HK-47).

That's because Lucas Farts forced an early release.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472531&pagenumber=1

Read up on the story, it's some good stuff.

Why am I getting so mixed up signals from this thing? About the only thing that was not copy pasted into the FO3 from older games was New Reno. and now we have New Vegas in the pipeline...

Call me sceptic but this whole bunch doesn't really inspire confidence. It feels that B.soft tried to cook a new game out of New Reno and mangled it so badly that they had to admit it even to their own very very low standards.

So here comes the Obsidian. I'm not sure, their track record is somewhat weird (based on my senses and tastes). Obsidian has been stuck on stories with pre-planned borders (Kotors) or stuck with having to make game that is also acceptable or not too complex for the kiddie generation. (Console kiddies, de_dust2 kiddies whatever.)

On one hand they have a really creative side a bit bigger than Amazon Basin, on the other hand they always have to force that creations from a pinhole so that it is still bite sized and not too heavy for the current generation...

Probably shackled by Bethesda directives. Shackled by the inconsistiencys of the basic story (Vegas is a desert. It is a friggin artificial place. No maintenance=Dead Vegas... 200+ years after the war we will probably see an Olympic Swimming Pool becouse its cool I guess..). Shackled by making a game for Consoles first, Pc last.

We will see how much goodness they will still be able to create despite all these....

Mikael Grizzly said:
That's because Lucas Farts forced an early release.
well letz hope this time at least things will be better in the end.

But I dont know. Obsidian alone doesnt make me worry. Its just when ever I hear the name Bethesda in realtion with "Fallout" that makes me shudder ... :shock:

Obsidian is perhaps the only active developer who could take on Fallout and do it justice. This has the potential to be the true sequel we've wanted for 10+ years. We all know, though, that potential =/= product. Hopefully Obsidian negotiated creative control as part of the deal.

At the risk of re-treading a theme from Fallout 1 (and a botched one from 3), it would be easy to imagine that water is wealth in the post-apoc Nevada desert. Easy to utilize a Mad Max scenario with water replacing fuel. I think post-war Nevada is much more in line with Fallout than an urban area.

If Beth truly is committed to multiple Fallout games into the future, perhaps the "spinoff" world will establish a series separate from Beth's bungle and show some faithfulness toward the originals. I wouldn't bet any money that it will happen, but it would be nice.

jfreund said:
Obsidian is perhaps the only active developer who could take on Fallout and do it justice. This has the potential to be the true sequel we've wanted for 10+ years. We all know, though, that potential =/= product. Hopefully Obsidian negotiated creative control as part of the deal.
No, it really doesn't. What it has the chance to be is Fallout 3 with good writing and improved gameplay. It's a step in the right direction but let's not call a canoe a carrier here.

Brother None said:
Can't really translate "we tried very hard not to put much in the way of parameters on them" into normal English, it's too much PR-ese for me. It sounds good, but it doesn't mean anything.

Calculated voidance of any predefined input parameters was bilaterally hypothesized to output a considerably more robust synergy plan. Why, didn't you get the memo?

Objective considerations of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account. —Ecclesiastes 9:11 in modern English, George Orwell, Politics and the English Language.

UncannyGarlic said:
No, it really doesn't. What it has the chance to be is Fallout 3 with good writing and improved gameplay. It's a step in the right direction but let's not call a canoe a carrier here.

Yeah, but I think that was really all it was missing.. I know many here don't agree, but I enjoyed the visuals and the combat was ok, what I got let down on mostly was the story and the lack of depth to the locations. If they simple take the engine and craft a set of new locations with a good story and actually provide a bit more narrative to the locations you find, I think it will be quite a satisfying game.

Ranne: Brand new siggy for me, thanks!

On topic: This news about fallout1/2/Van Buren devs working on a fallout 3 spinoff is good.
Fallout 3:Literacy. How bad can it be?

Xenophile said:
UncannyGarlic said:

Yeah, but I think that was really all it was missing.. I know many here don't agree, but I enjoyed the visuals and the combat was ok, what I got let down on mostly was the story and the lack of depth to the locations. If they simple take the engine and craft a set of new locations with a good story and actually provide a bit more narrative to the locations you find, I think it will be quite a satisfying game.
But I still hope they will also tweak the gameplay. Story and writting are one part Fallout 3 is lacking. But the gameplay made it also possible to become a jack-of-all-trades. Which doesnt help in the enjoyment of a RPG much either if you ask me. For a brainless shooter yes, but a RPG should be rewarding, meaning that it should be at least sometimes really hard. Not always, but parts of it. If you know what I mean. What does it help to conquere this big fraeking armor, super plasma gun, or story twist if it doesnt feel like your character earned it? Trough a hard battle, or with its skill (like that he was able to use intelligence to discover a big lie etc.).

syllogz said:
So this is going to be something like the Planescape mod for NWN2 (or any large quest mod for Oblivion), except with professional game developers.

In a sense it is kinda good, because Obsidian doesn't have to develop everything, only the storyline (quests, NPCs, etc), landscapes and town, and some assets for that special setting.
This way they will actually be able to finish it by next year.

I really hope they do a lot more.

The animations amongst other things are in sore need for improvement.

Back