BioShock 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by OakTable, Feb 14, 2010.

1. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Wait, you can sell your Steam games? HOW??

2. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    By having people give you money and then gifting them the game?

Also, writing a review for this game made me realise how much I dislike it. Write-up on story (1st draft):

3. Aphyosis

Aphyosis Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2009
    Its a pity really, because some of it did quite well. The part which shows you where you were bonded was fantastic in my opinion and there was a few other standout moments. I also enjoyed listening to the tapes about the big daddy's as well as getting more backstory behind them.

@ Grin - I do. I winded up using a combination of about 3 plasmids in total because using anymore was cumbersome and wasted a lot of time.

4. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Finally got around to finishing Bioshock 2, and I must agree that it does not live up.

Aside from shortcomings on content level as mentioned by BN, there were also several annoyances in gameplay mechanics and level design.

On gameplay level, I was quite annoyed by things like the research camera thing... While I find it interesting to get a bonus for nice combinations and so on, it is also rather extremely annoying to have to run around with the camera equiped, photograph, get fighting. Especially since the camera's 'aim' blurs some of the image... Not to mention that according to the story, you already have a camera, through which Tenebaum could track you at the start? Giving a bonus for special feats aint bad an sich, but requiring an annoying game element like the camera just plain sucks.

Level design was severely lacking in some places. Not only because it was rather uninteresting in many places, but also because it often coupled heavily scripted events to mediocre design. I had inadvertedly bypassed some scripted events by simply jumping down at one point, but game progression was halted, until I returned to fight a fight I had just bypassed before another scripted event fired allowing me to 'escape'. Very annoying when that happens. I'm not 'against' scripted events, but it always relies on a combination of writing & correct level design.

I also felt no real connection to the characters, except perhaps a little to Eleanor & the little sisters. Lamb was so extremely black & white that it became an awefully uninteresting figure. Sinclair was just annoying overall.

Then there were also little annoyances with the weapons. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the relatively cliché but well implemented weapons such as the gatling (which is horribly underpowered at the beginning? wtf) and the spear gun. However, things like the fact the gatling shares ammo with the thompson miniguns (.45ACP in the real world, which is a mere few centimeters long with the case, look at how wide the in game mag is) while the ammo boxes you find for the gatling are .50 cal and well over a decimeter long (probably .50 BMG irl).
    Then there's naming & explanations... No, a double barreled shotgun does not use 'clips', and the upgrade added cylinders, not 'clip size'... It also seems hard to understand for game designers that a shorter sawn off barrel does not increase damage, it decreases it. It however increases pellet spread (so area of effect). Can't be too hard to at least get that kind of stuff right?

That said, I did enjoy quite a bit of the game, so it surely wasn't 'all bad'.

5. PastaMasta

PastaMasta Mildly Dipped

Sep 25, 2008
    If I were in charge of Bioshock 1's story and writing I would have changed the second half of the game completely. My favorite part in the first was when the submarine exploded, superb atmosphere, voice acting, writing and sound design.

I beat Bioshock 2 like a week ago and I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the first, although more bioshock isnt really a bad thing.

6. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    isnt that kinda ... ilegal >_>

7. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
    I've played, I've finished and I've deleted.

What a a shame, is not even worth the title "Bioshock 2", it will be more honest calling it "Bioshock 1.5" or "the new expansion pack". :?

At least I've been able to sell the game to a friend of mine...wich is cursing my last three family generations, BTW.
    And I did tell him that the game was horrible, before he pays for it!

Sorry mate, business are business.

[ ]'s

8. requiem_for_a_starfury

requiem_for_a_starfury So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Apr 3, 2003
    I quite liked it, but then I welcome any return to Rapture. But yeah it is just more of the same, it would of been more fun to play as the Big Sister though I suppose they are saving that for Bioshock 3.

9. weaponx

weaponx First time out of the vault

Mar 27, 2010
    I've never played the original but I was told #2 was really good and was thinking of buying. Maybe I won't now. lol.