BioShock in for a bumpy release

Well, I just downloaded the demo, and I'm glad I did, because I had no idea that my hardware was completely incompatible with the game. I need to get a SM3 card.

also, please note conveniently located red tanks (Red means boom) scattered all throughout rapture. Using telekinesis you can pile them into a bundle, top it off with a corpse and just wait for a little sister (and her big daddy) to come strolling up.

I've beaten it with two different play styles:

First run:

Medium difficulty
Used a lot of wrench + tonics
Took the evil path

The first run was pretty fun, a good intro into the world of Rapture. I don't want to give any information that could be considered a spoiler, so don't read the small text if you haven't played yet: The wrench is overpowered with the tonics

Because of this realization, I came to play my second run through completely differently.

Second run:

Hard difficulty
Loaded saved games if I died(Didn't use the revit. chamber once)
Used ranged weapons 99% of the time
Took the good path

This run was a lot more enjoyable. It was just the right amount of difficulty for me, and refusing to use the revit. chamber made me feel a lot better about beating the game. Using ranged weapons caused me to change my weapons/ammo/tactics a lot more, so it seemed a little more like a RPG than a adrenaline-fueled kill-fest RPG.

SuAside said:
after patiently waiting for my Bioshock copy to arrive, as i had expected i ran into problems with the Securom protection. not like most people did (with the activation limitation thing), no, far worse.

i start to install Bioshock and as the install ends, i get a simple pop-up that i should insert the original dvd and not a copy and that i should rerun the install. when pressing OK all installed files magically disappear and i'm left with nothing. of course, i used the original disk, no doubt about that.

i've had Securom problems before with W40k:DoW and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but those were all easily solved by installing the game & cracking it. (wonderful when you have to do that to a legally owned and bought game)
i contacted THQ about it, but never got anything back.

so now i cant even crack my legit copy of Bioshock, since it doesnt even install. wonderful.
i suspect that the problem with Securom can be traced back to my Benq 1620 dvd-rw that i use. (which was a really good dvd writer in its day and still is). i never had any problem reading sublevel data etc, but why the fuck would Securom fail to read out the fact that it is an original DVD with it?

gah!

Try going into your dvd-rw drive and uncheck the checkmark next to the text 'enable recordings on this drive' under the recording tab.

This helps in other games (like oblivion - just a tech comparision, though).

I don't why Securom does that. :roll: :crazy: But I do know that youy should contact Securom pr. email, showing them a picture of the receipt, the game, the game disc, the manuals front and back and the case or box. And just ask them politely --- why Securom refuses to let you install the game?

You still have the installable? files on your game disc, though? Have you tried exploring the disc and installing the game from the setup.exe icon?

MrBumble said:
metalboss44 said:
This actually reminds me of when deus ex 2 came out. That game got some great reviews too but the fans knew the game was a steaming pile. It didn't include support for SM1 cards which was unexpected. It also was completely crippled on the PC. Bioshock seems to be following suit, although they are upping the ante by adding this over the top copy protection that only serves to punish the people who purchased the game legitimately.

1)Bioshock *IS* what it was advertised as : a deep shooter.
2)Bioshock *IS NOT* System Shock 3
3)Bioshock *IS NOT* a "steaming pile" :roll:
4)Bioshock works great if you have a decent rig.
5)Bioshock *IS NOT* completely crippled on the PC
6)Bioshock not supporting SM2 *IS NOT* a surprise if you actually know what a "100% DX9.0c compatible graphic card" means
7)Yes, the protection system sucks

As for your # 6 comment, I didn't even know that a '100% DX9.0c compatible graphics card' meant that you needed a Shader Model 3 card to run & play Bioshock. And I consider myself something of tech nerd (more than most people anyway) when it comes to computer.

How on earth, or in the stars, for that matter are ordinary gamers, causual games and the average moms& dads who just want to give their kids a great gift buying Bioshock, supposed to know

that a dx9.0c card = Shader Model 3 ??

aries said:
As for your # 6 comment, I didn't even know that a '100% DX9.0c compatible graphics card' meant that you needed a Shader Model 3 card to run & play Bioshock. And I consider myself something of tech nerd (more than most people anyway) when it comes to computer.

How on earth, or in the stars, for that matter are ordinary gamers, causual games and the average moms& dads who just want to give their kids a great gift buying Bioshock, supposed to know

that a dx9.0c card = Shader Model 3 ??
For god's sake, stop double posting.

Also, anyone who knows what Shader Model 3.0 is knows that that's part of what meant by 'Direct 9.0c compatible card'. And besides that, it says that you need a directx 9.0c compatible card. There is *no* video card out that is DirectX 9.0c compatible, and at the same time does not have Shader Model 3.0. So even if you don't know that DirectX 9.0c also comprises Shader Model 3.0, you should know whether your video card is DirectX 9.0c compatible.

Also, I'm splitting off this weird swearing rant from the Bioshock thread. Clearly posted in the wrong place.

Back