Blue Velvet – Fallout 1 into Fallout 2

.Pixote.

Antediluvian as Feck
Modder
........................................................................................

Here before you is the Fallout 2 Blue Cave Mod. This mod will alter the appearance of the cave walls, tiles and certain rocks, etc, as to appear like Fallout 1. This is designed to be used with Killaps unofficial Fallout 2 patch (1.02.26b) and cannot be used with Fallout 2 Restoration Project (repeat cannot be used with RP) – it could but would look like shit and the game might crash.

Before you copy the data folder into your Fallout 2 directory make a back up of the original data/maps folder, just in case you wish to remove the blue cave mod later. The new blue scenery artworks have filled certain “unused” Fallout 2 art slots, so there shouldn’t be any issues there, but if you wish to return to the original Fallout 2 state delete the data /art folder. The text folder includes new scenery descriptions, and will have no effect on the normal game, the same for the new proto files.

*So copy the data folder into the Fallout 2 directory - that’s it...enjoy. For any problems just leave a message on the thread. As an added bonus many of the smaller maps have been boxed in a black field to remove the shitty broken edge look.

Fallout 2 Blue Cave Mod

........................................................................................

Earlier I mentioned….

When Fallout 2 came out I was puzzled as to why the development team chose to change the cave and rock artwork from the original bluish color tones into more natural brownish earth tones. I always thought the bluish tones were beautiful and strange, and in the first map – the vault entrance – you felt isolated and abandoned in that cold cavern.

I’m curious if there are any players who would like the brown cave art in Fallout 2 changed back to the original blue color. I have already built the appropriate artwork, so it would be a simple art replacement - that can be easily undone if you change your mind. But people need to understand that the maps for the two games are quite different in nature and it might take awhile to adjust. Below is an example of the bottom level of the Military Base with the new blue look.

This will done only for the original Fallout 2 maps, potentially it could be applied to the Megamod, but sadly this will not be done for the Restoration Project, because of the difference between the two maps is too great (maybe one day if I have the time).

For this to work properly some of the light levels on certain maps will need to be darkened. So is there anybody willing to change the light levels in the scripts so the maps match Fallout 1 more closely.

RmnDnSV.jpg

Original Fallout 1 blue cave.

uvbEiX5.jpg

Fallout 2 brownish cave.

agbrDqY.jpg

Fallout 2 Military Base with the blue art.

Last edited:
Nice observation, Pixote. I'm kinda torn. I agree the blue looks and feels colder, more lonely. But the brown seems a little more ... realistic. But then - what's realistic about seeing *anything* in a cave?!! :scratch:

I'd be one to support the blue-ish caves - but maybe only for 50% cave maps, where that feel is appropriate to your judgement. Good to keep some variety, IMO.

It’s really an issue of taste, but I always taken aback after Fallout 1’s initial movie sequence stopped and you found yourself stuck in that blue cave. The contrast in between the cooler colors and warmer colors was more striking, but I’m not putting down the artwork of my beloved Fallout 2. The adjustment in the light levels will make all the difference IMO. I suppose it’s not an issue about realism, but stylization.

:D

I'm lazily waiting on this till 2005. Waiting for the soul who's about to rip them from FO1 art, or simply repainds them.

And now, it looks like I've been answered! Hells bells!

Why are you waiting so long, mister Lizard?

I thought about re-adding the blue cave walls already since I started with SD1 in 2005. I just have never done it, because ... I don't know. Maybe the less blue walls are better for the eyes.

You don't even need high skills for this. Afaik you just have to extract the FRMs out of Fallout 1 and replace the Fallout 2 ones. This should be enough, in theory.

It would seem the the blue'ish art goes well with the silvery vault walls, while the brown'ish art goes well with the rusty vault walls.

That would be my opinion for when to use what.

But it would still be a style call on a case by case basis. Ex. I would leave the Toxic caves the brown'ish art given the way the entrance transitions. But once down the hole (next level), could switch to the blue'ish, make the place not feel so well lit.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Lexx said:
Why are you waiting so long, mister Lizard?

I thought about re-adding the blue cave walls already since I started with SD1 in 2005. I just have never done it, because ... I don't know. Maybe the less blue walls are better for the eyes.

You don't even need high skills for this. Afaik you just have to extract the FRMs out of Fallout 1 and replace the Fallout 2 ones. This should be enough, in theory.
I just forgot. Like ever. Too many ideas and no diary.

I also agree that it fits best for the caves and not for maps that integrate caves and brownish walls.

I'd say blue caves for caves near the ocean (because they are probably moist) and brown caves for caves near deserts/lack of water/not deep caves.

Now you are talking about that colour, seems that blue are darker. Keep blue in caves and brown in ruins.

Sorry gentlemen but with replacing art it’s generally one or the other. Its impractical to have one cave in brown and the other in blue – to do that would require all of the blue artwork to be prototyped in the mapper, and every blue wall rebuilt, every blue tile relayed, etc…and if you added to the mix that everyone would want this or that map changed, it would be difficult to say the least. At best I think this will just be a replacement art mod for those lovers of the original Fallout 1 blue cave look.

Lexx said:
You just have to extract the FRMs out of Fallout 1 and replace the Fallout 2 ones. This should be enough, in theory.

True enough Lexx, but there are a few wall pieces that needed some attention, such as the walls with the timber posts (Klamath Rat cave). I haven’t actually checked every map yet for problems, but I’m aware that I will need to fix a few frame offset problems with some of the wall pieces (some the numbers were different). So there will be some maps included in the mod…so should I use Killaps unofficial Fallout 2 patch as the bench mark. The only major conflict I see is if the developers used some of the cave rocks on the surface – but I will check for that.

killap said:
I also agree that it fits best for the caves and not for maps that integrate caves and brownish walls.

But we did have the blue and brown wall conflict in Fallout 1 – Vault 15, The Glow, Necropolis, etc – but those maps appear to have a darker light level compared to Fallout 2.

Klamath Rat Cave Brown
gbl4ClL.gif

Klamath Rat Cave Blue
LGNJdSI.gif

Last edited:
.Pixote. said:
Klamath Rat Cave Blue
cavebluerat.gif

Looks good! and it would be nice to have this alternative.

.Pixote. said:
But we did have the blue and brown wall conflict in Fallout 1 – Vault 15, The Glow, Necropolis, etc – but those maps appear to have a darker light level compared to Fallout 2.

So much looking at FO2 art and screens that one forgets about such things, huh? :)

But you're right, light levels seem to be key, although not so much according to this screenshot i found in the NMA gallery:

^This, the underground Necropolis map is awesome. One of my favorites, and you can see in that screenshot that brown-ish edges and wall details are combined with the blue walls... i think that shows that it was a conscious decision to make it like that.

Anyway, i like this idea, go for it .Pixote. :ok:

.Pixote. said:
Sorry gentlemen but with replacing art it’s generally one or the other. Its impractical to have one cave in brown and the other in blue – to do that would require all of the blue artwork to be prototyped in the mapper, and every blue wall rebuilt, every blue tile relayed, etc…and if you added to the mix that everyone would want this or that map changed, it would be difficult to say the least. At best I think this will just be a replacement art mod for those lovers of the original Fallout 1 blue cave look.
Exactly how many tiles and how many wall pieces are we talking about here?

I'm thinking that if you add the new artwork to the mapper(new protos), then write down what brown tile corresponds to what blue tile. Something like...
Code:
tiles:  cav1000 = ???
walls: obj_pid: 50331873 00000225 = obj_fid: ??
       obj_fid: 50331723 ca054 = obj_fid: ???
Then set the mapper to save textfiles in the mapper.cfg.
Save a map.
Get a global search program and search the map.txt file. Then just type in what to find and what to replace it with.
Then rebuild the map from the text file in the mapper.
Oh and any exit grid data needs to be set again as it is not saved to the text file.
Could this work?
If so, if you have all the maps you want to change as text files in one folder (but no other maps), you can change all of them at once.
That should make it fairly quick, no?

I think the contrast is very effective when there's blue and brown. Its like an exaggerated art style.

With that said, i just don't think it fits caves with stuff in them =(

Darek said:
Exactly how many tiles and how many wall pieces are we talking about here

176+ artworks.

Darek said:
I'm thinking that if you add the new artwork to the mapper(new protos), then write down what brown tile corresponds to what blue tile.

I’ve done the maps to text thing before, but I was just testing the mapper, and I couldn’t make head or tail of most of the numbers…maybe it could be tested with one map, and see from there. I will pass the artwork to whomever wants to try, or at least knows how to do this properly. But before I pass the whole community the files I need to check every map in Fallout 2, as a precaution. The most critical thing is altering the light levels for the blue maps - reducing the ambient light levels. The caves should be darker than what’s found currently in Fallout 2.

So is anyone up to building the ALL MAPS TEXT for one of the Fallout 2 caves… :wink:

If you could of just changed that one cave I'd be all for it. But the other caves I'm used to the brown. IT would feel wrong if it suddenly went blue on me.

Back