Boast Your Fallout Box's,Also: Localizations Suck (F3 split)

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Brother None, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    I lost both my original Fallout boxes, I only have the CDs left.

Which makes me very, very sad.

2. Angrim

Angrim Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 27, 2004
    I know how you feel, Kharn...

I think my mom has thrown away every fucking PC game cartboard box I've ever own.

It makes me sad. And angry. I should've taken them all with me when I moved away from home.

*Sigh*

3. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    i've got the boxes (they're in my pc game box-wall of course), but my CD's are fubar thanks to my brother (though i got backups, but it still hurts). reminds me to kick him in the nuts next time i see em.

anyway, i've always regretted that i don't have an US made manual (you know with the metal binder thingy).

4. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    I still have original Fallout & Fallout 2 boxes that I bought soon after premieres.
    Sadly, both boxes and manuals are in polish, and manuals are 4 times shorter than .pdfs.
    I don't know why they bothered translating them instead of selling original english boxes and manuals - anyone who can't read an english manual would be unable to play the english version of Fallouta anyway.
    And they weren't any cheaper than western editions...

BTW.
    Was a shortened manual a normal thing in UK version or the polish distributor wanted to save on paper?

5. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    In Poland, CD-Projekt has released a jewel box for Fallout. Very cheap, but awfully packed.

6. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 24, 2004
    My Fallout is a 'value-box' version a.k.a just the disk, no manual.
    My Fallout 2 is a gift from my friend and again, no manual. I suspect he has 'manual-fetish'.

7. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    And Polishized, AFAIK.

The last translated game I bought from CD projekt was NWN2. The translation was so utterly horrible than even Intoxicate would have done a better job.

Not buying a single translated game again. I'll have my bro ship the goodies from England.

8. Morbus

Morbus Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 16, 2006
    This is offtopic but: is it normal (or usual) that people buy translated games there in Poland? :o I thought people always prefer the original version of any any artwork (given they can understand it, of course). I'm surprised that you even bought translated games :? even more in developed countries like poland... :?

9. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    ask the french, spanish, etc. they want everything translated. hell, even americans if the original language isn't english.

10. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    I don't know why, but here in Poland, some people consider translanting games a progress :? ...

11. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Also the Germans. I can't stand watching German television because *everything* is overdubbed.

12. Morbus

Morbus Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 16, 2006
    Lucky Portuguese it seems :lol: No money for translations, but no money for education too xD So a lot of people don't know english or other languages... Not even correct portuguese, most of the times :P

13. Stephen Amber

Stephen Amber First time out of the vault

Aug 4, 2004
    Still have the manuals, but pretty sure mom threw the boxes... think she even asked about throwing them. If I thought they might have eventual value I might have kept.

Hmm pretty sure I have Wizardy 1 box and all... hidden away where mom can't find.

14. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    Pretty sure this has no relevance to the thread whatsoever.

Splitting it along with the derail.

15. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    Yep. Sucks to be German. That's why I _love_ DVDs. I wish I lived in Switzerland, I'd love to go to a cinema and actually watch a movie in its original language.
    Same thing with books, PC-Games (plus the fact that we kinda have an indirect censorship) , ...

16. DGT

DGT It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 7, 2006
    Someone mentioned Americans wanting things translated... this is because very few Americans are multi-lingual; AFAIK, notably less (in terms of %) than Europeans. So... not a desire, so much as a need. If they're to experience it at all, they must experience it in English.

17. Dracon M'Alkir

Dracon M'Alkir Vault Senior Citizen

Jul 19, 2004
  18. Von Drunky

Von Drunky Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Mar 10, 2007
    I have an empty Fallout 2 case if you want it. I have no idea where the orginal CD went so i used it to house my burned copy of Fallout 2 which is now unreadable. The offer is on the table.

19. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    Complete with manuals and cd cases, everything in working order... :D

My precioussssssssssssssss...

20. BayArea

BayArea First time out of the vault

Apr 12, 2007
    I've still got both FO:I and II in their original boxes unopened...I play with the dual-jewel case so i don't have to open them...kinda weird but whatever.