Bombs over Boston

Guiltyofbeingtrite said:
Mad Max RW said:
Did you watch MSNBC at all this week?

Last time I checked nobody on NMA worked for MSNBC. And if you want to single out MSNBC, include CNN and Fox News for their reports of suspects being arrested before it happened

Those were bullshit, too, and they should all be held accountable for reporting bogus stories. What you're doing now is the same thing I see over and over again. Dismiss one fuckup by deflecting to another. It may not be your intention but it comes across that way.

Mad Max RW said:
Those were bullshit, too, and they should all be held accountable for reporting bogus stories. What you're doing now is the same thing I see over and over again. Dismiss one fuckup by deflecting to another. It may not be your intention but it comes across that way.
So why did you mention one agenda (that got almost no attention) and not the others. Like, you know, the ones prematurely blaming muslims, or North Koreans (lulz), or the goddamn moron who asked the first question at the mayor's press conference and talked about a "false flag" event? And why did you not mention it until now?

In addition, how is what you are doing not deflecting from the issue at hand? The first thing you say now that the identities are out revolves not around the perpetrators, not around the bombing, not even around the media coverage. No, the first thing you do is attack one agenda you perceived. And one specific agenda, too, so don't go about claiming that you cared about everyone reporting bogus stories.

Because if you cared about people reporting bogus stories, you would comment on stories that were actually reported, not some random speculation you heard from MSNBC. Like the multiple bullshit reports from the New York Post, or the multiple people who were falsely identified as being terrorists last night, or the complete mess that CNN has made of reporting on this event.

If you gave a shit about honest reporting and people pushing agendas, you'd be complaining about a wide spectrum of things. Instead, you complained about one very specific agenda that happened to offend you. Get off your bullshit high horse.

Go back and reread this entire thread from the beginning and try to not spot the hypocrisy. The fact of the matter is nobody ever calls out the mainstream media when they jump to conclusions blaming the far right. Or just blaming America in general. I'm not going to get into another argument with you because you will just lower yourself to banning me again to "win". What you do here is too obvious. Smile.

Mad Max RW said:
Go back and reread this entire thread from the beginning and try to not spot the hypocrisy. The fact of the matter is nobody ever calls out the mainstream media when they jump to conclusions blaming the far right. Or just blaming America in general.
The fact of the matter is that none of that actually happened in this thread.

Also, the idea that "nobody ever calls out the mainstream media" is simply not true. There's an entire industry of right-wing media, including the single largest news organization in the country (how is that not mainstream, exactly?) which thrives on going "mainstream media does/doesn't do XXXXX" oh, around fifteen times every hour. But those don't count, right?

Wait, why is MSNBC mainstream, but Fox News isn't? Why are you calling out MSNBC instead of CNN, or the New York Post, or indeed Fox News itself?

Right, because you're pushing your own agenda and disguising it under the guise of righteous indignation at the existence of another agenda. Good fun!

Mad Max RW said:
I'm not going to get into another argument with you because you will just lower yourself to banning me again to "win". What you do here is too obvious. Smile.
Here's a hint on not getting banned: don't troll and insult other forum users. A concept you seem to have a hard time getting your head around.

Mad Max RW said:
So it looks like trying to blame the bombings on white pro-gun American conservative Christians didn't pan out again.
Islamist radicals tend to be very pro-gun and conservative, though. Not trolling, just pointing it out to make sure you realize this.

Mad Max RW said:
Go back and reread this entire thread from the beginning and try to not spot the hypocrisy. The fact of the matter is nobody ever calls out the mainstream media when they jump to conclusions blaming the far right. Or just blaming America in general. I'm not going to get into another argument with you because you will just lower yourself to banning me again to "win". What you do here is too obvious. Smile.

Why don't you quote those evil, evil people instead of having us take your word for it? Some assumed, among other things, that it was domestic terrorism because it looked like domestic terrorism, and compared it to McVeigh because the situations are both similar and different. No one was jumping up and down blaming Fox News and the NRA or whatnot in this thread, sorry.

Mad Max RW said:
Those were bullshit, too, and they should all be held accountable for reporting bogus stories.

actually they cannot. after the whole monsanto milk with hormones thing, the reporters sued fox news for invalid termination cause and putting known false information in their officially reported outcome of the investigation.

the case went to the us supreme court, which dismissed the journalists case on all counts. the judges ruled that the wording "freedom of the press shall not be infringed" was interpreted to mean they could say anything they wanted to, even if they knew it to be false, on their news programs.

so no, they cannot be held accountable for any content they release in their news programs unless it violates slander or libel laws.

Sander said:
Mad Max RW said:
Go back and reread this entire thread from the beginning and try to not spot the hypocrisy. The fact of the matter is nobody ever calls out the mainstream media when they jump to conclusions blaming the far right. Or just blaming America in general.
The fact of the matter is that none of that actually happened in this thread.
Dude, it didn't take long for this thread to devolve into the usual pedantic litany (from founding fathers' slaves, Kissinger, Dresden? and NASA's culpability for starving African kids) of American transgressions, and how they are responsible for radicalizing these poor victims. Turns out these suspects were taken into America as Chechen refugees, taken care of pretty well, given scholarships, lived in Cambridge, the most liberal and welcoming city in the country.

Some serious denial here about what is the root of the radicalization.

Ah well, kid is in Beth Israel now, good Jewish doctors there. He'll be well taken care of. Hopefully a speedy recovery.

Some assumed, among other things, that it was domestic terrorism because it looked like domestic terrorism, and compared it to McVeigh because the situations are both similar and different
Nobody assumed but you, and never provided any reason why. Moot point so don't bother backfilling.

Tagaziel said:
http://twitchy.com/2013/04/19/geography-fail-tweeters-confuse-chechnya-with-czech-republic/

So, Dammit, when are you invading the Czech Republic? Right after you whitewash Timothy McVeigh as a librul?

Does this surprise anyone?

For such a wealthy and large place the US is quite insular and very ignorant to the world outside of it's own Borders.

Perhaps more so then anyother western nation.

Radman said:
Tagaziel said:
http://twitchy.com/2013/04/19/geography-fail-tweeters-confuse-chechnya-with-czech-republic/

So, Dammit, when are you invading the Czech Republic? Right after you whitewash Timothy McVeigh as a librul?

For such a wealthy and large place the US is quite insular and very ignorant to the world outside of it's own Borders.

I dont think thats fair. Sure its easy to look at america and pick out the vocal idiots but its not a very accurate picture. Where do you find these people? Twitter? Facebook? Thats like sticking your head in a trash can and being suprised at all the garbage

BonusWaffle said:
Radman said:
Tagaziel said:

I dont think thats fair. Sure its easy to look at america and pick out the vocal idiots but its not a very accurate picture. Where do you find these people? Twitter? Facebook? Thats like sticking your head in a trash can and being suprised at all the garbage

Is it unfair?

It's quite a widely reported issue internationally, as this report shows

I'm not turning this into an American bashing thread, but many nations see the US as quite 'closed off' to the rest of the world.

This raises it's head more when you discover only around 35% of the US population hold valid passports - compare this to the UK and it's over 80% of our population.

Tagaziel said:

I said from the start it was muslims. I know where Chechnya is and it's history. I wasn't one of the morons here being full of shit.

Tweeters are by definition idiots to begin with, like American Idol voters. Only 10% of any population has higher brain functions beyond surviving their dreary lives. This includes euros, furries, and forum moderators/admins.

DammitBoy said:
I said from the start it was muslims.

There's a difference between stating something because you have facts to back it up and stating something just because you suffer from the mental impairment known as prejudice.

I know where Chechnya is and it's history. I wasn't one of the morons here being full of shit.

So reserving judgement until more facts are known is automatically being a moron full of shit? Cool.

Tweeters are by definition idiots to begin with, like American Idol voters. Only 10% of any population has higher brain functions beyond surviving their dreary lives. This includes euros, furries, and forum moderators/admins.

Good to know I have those higher brain functions, meeting all of the criteria you propose.

DammitBoy said:
I said from the start it was muslims. I know where Chechnya is and it's history. I wasn't one of the morons here being full of shit.

You have to be a bit more specific though. Because there are so many of them

DammitBoy said:

DammitBoy said:

DammitBoy said:
Bullshit. The mainstream media was hoping and praying it was fat white tea party racists behind the blasts. They came right out and said it on CNN, MSNBC, and Salon.com

<snip>
Ah yes -- the mythical monolythic mainstream media, which does not include the single biggest news corporation in the U.S.A. by your reckoning.

Amusingly, it also does not actually include the mainstream media but just a few individuals, most of whom did not actually blame "fat white tea party racists" but questioned whether it was possible this was an instance of domestic terrorism (and we've seen a lot of that which has nothing to do with "fat white tea party racists"). Which apparently is illegitimate, but going "IT MUST BE MUSLIMS" with no supporting evidence is A-Okay!

DammitBoy said:
I said from the start it was muslims.
In other words: you jumped to a conclusion with no evidence and were lucky to be right. Hurray for you!

TheWesDude said:
so no, they cannot be held accountable for any content they release in their news programs unless it violates slander or libel laws.
So what you're saying is that yes, they can be held accountable for slander and libel.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Dude, it didn't take long for this thread to devolve into the usual pedantic litany (from founding fathers' slaves, Kissinger, Dresden? and NASA's culpability for starving African kids) of American transgressions, and how they are responsible for radicalizing these poor victims. Turns out these suspects were taken into America as Chechen refugees, taken care of pretty well, given scholarships, lived in Cambridge, the most liberal and welcoming city in the country.

Some serious denial here about what is the root of the radicalization.
I didn't really read that in this thread, but that's not really the point we were talking about either. That was about directly blaming right-wing, conservative Christians for the bombings -- which didn't happen.

There's also a point that acknowledging that there are a lot of factors that lead to America becoming a target, some of those factors being of American making, does not mean that you're "blaming" the USA.

When I first heard that the bombers were from Chechnya I immediately wondered whether the media would focus on the fact that Chechnya was once part of Russia (fear of communism) or focus on the fact they were muslim. Since things collapsed there with the end of the USSR they could blame the US for what happened or if they're religious focused have grudges towards non-muslims since that's been going on there for so long.

Apparently the media won't stop mentioning the region...also not Chechnya, but RUSSIA. I find it odd.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Back