Buy the originals!

Here is my question to those who have purchased these.

Besides the installer, have the games actually been updated?

In Vista the FMV sequences in Fallout 2 always have 8-bit color and look like crap. Has that issue been fixed?

In XP and Vista, without a fan-made patch, when traveling in the wasteland on foot (or car), the travel time was super fast with a modern computer making you skip all the random encounters. Has this been fixed?

I'm considering getting these, but if it's just the same un-patched games with a new installer, then I'll pass.

Captain Iraq said:
Six dollars?
About 5 years ago you could bought them for one euro here in Germany.
gotta be lucky to find such a gem...

and 6 dollars really is nothing for the quality you get. if i didn't already own them, i'd be on them.

With these prices it wouldn't be such a bad deal if it Fallout was not available for FREE download at gametap......

If manuals, cases and other goodies are not included in this set, then it is not worth buying. (Of course this is my sole, humble opinion)

I have to agree with the "finger itching" bit though :D

Szeder said:
With these prizes it wouldn't be such a bad deal if it Fallout was not available for FREE download at gametap......

If manuals, cases and other goodies are not included in this set, then it is not worth buying. (Of course this is my sole, humble opinion)

I have to agree with the "finger itching" bit though :D

The problem with the gametap versions of Fallout 1 & 2:
- not patched (both at version 1.0 as far as I can tell)
- can't patch them (gametap filesystem is encrypted)
- can't apply mods

about a week ago here in czech republic, ive bought white label edition (fo1, fo2, fo:tactics + bonus material) and it cost cca 10 dollars.

I'm not saying this is the best deal ever, guys, though I'm a big fan of having something digitally available for as long as you want and whenever you need and as many times as you like, if you already have it, or can get it cheaper, good for ye.

Beelzebud said:

In Vista the FMV sequences in Fallout 2 always have 8-bit color and look like crap. Has that issue been fixed?

As far as I know: no. I'm not sure, tho', GOG has fiddled with the games in multiple ways, but I think those kinds of flaws are still in.

Brother None said:
I'm not saying this is the best deal ever, guys, though I'm a big fan of having something digitally available for as long as you want and whenever you need and as many times as you like, if you already have it, or can get it cheaper, good for ye.

Beelzebud said:

As far as I know: no. I'm not sure, tho', GOG has fiddled with the games in multiple ways, but I think those kinds of flaws are still in.

Most probably, they didn't patch it, but they did great job with other games (e.g. Flashpoint, which I bought a week ago, is without any annoying DRM rebooting your computer every hour).

Beelzebud said:

I've done a full playthrough of each game (Tactics excluded) on Vista (albeit 32bit) and never experienced that problem. Granted they're rather pixelated when blown up to modern resolutions, but that's about the extent of it. Did you launch them in compatibility mode?

Dang, you guys are whining a lot. GOG is now in open beta, allowing each and every one of us to purchase these golden nuggets of PC-gaming history for a measly $6 a pop. On top of that, the games are properly reprogrammed to work on modern-day machines (XP and Vista), with no DRM or CD-check whatsoever, are fully patched to the latest version, and once you have payed for your copy, you can download the game as many times as you want, on any computer you want. In addition, you also unlock 'additional material' such as the full set of manuals (in .pdf format), the games' respective soundtracks, and the Fallout Bible - at no extra cost whatsoever! And yes, modding the game still works.

So what are you complaining about? GOG is doing all of us a huge favour, offering not only Fallout, but all kinds of classic games for us to play with no errors - at what can only be described as a symbolic sum.

Thanks for the news post. I'm already an extremely satisfied customer at GOG (Earthworm Jim 1 & 2; Fallout; Fallout 2; Fallout Tactics; Giants: Citizen Kabuto; MDK; Sacrifice), and I thank the boys behind it from the bottom of my heart for knowing how important these games are to we old coots. I hope they keep it up, and I expect their library to steadily grow over the coming months.

Kindo said:
So what are you complaining about?

Um. People have a right to give whatever reasons they want for not buying the games from GOG. If someone says he'd only buy the game with a manual or that it's cheaper elsewhere, there's no need to read more into it.

Per said:
Um. People have a right to give whatever reasons they want for not buying the games from GOG. If someone says he'd only buy the game with a manual or that it's cheaper elsewhere, there's no need to read more into it.
Obviously. I simply felt there was an abundance of complaints for a service that cannot possibly be deemed useless or unnecessary, seeing how it's not yet another digital distribution of these games.

I signed up and bought FO1, FO2, and FOT for less than 20 bucks and they came with manuals in pdf, the fallout bible, some of the concept art, and even a little pack of nice avatars made from the talking heads in FO1 and 2.

I would have spent that 20 bucks on beer that I'd not have after tonight, so I consider it a net gain.

I've also never played Tactics so I'm thrilled to get it cheap.

:)

Heh. I've still got my manuals floating around, and I'm pretty sure I still have my FO1 and 2 big boxes stuffed in a closet. Might have to see if I can scrounge them up and hawk 'em on Ebay, then buy 'em off GoG for myself.

I enjoy having physical copies of games, but hell. That's a pretty nutty price.

Back