Carsten Strehse of SSE talks about the Fall and Fallout 3

Slaughter said:
Baboon said:
SoA?? Anyway, Fallout is one of the, if not the, greatest game ever made. A more experienced developer should have it (although nothing EA) simply because the series deserve no less.
Sorry, Soldiers of Anarchy :). Review list here.

As for Fallout, I want the best for it too, agree with you there. But I fear more that some huge beast get their hands into it and make "Sims: The Fallout version" than that Silver Style get it.

Let's be fair:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/soldiersofanarchy/

http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/561371.asp

Interplay, as of late, has had a problem releasing accurate news about their business. I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to see if they can pull themselves out of the hole they're in, before making a decision on the status of their licenses.

They likely will try to keep the whole Fallout license to themselves, since they don't have D&D anymore. Here's to hoping they will at least sell the PC rights to the most capable company, IMO Troika would do the best with it.

True but there's still the problem with Troika not having the money to buy it. At this point, I think Interplay needs any money they can get, since FOPOS is crap and nobody will buy/has bought it. It would be foolish to wait for a high bid, as there aren't too many companies that are interested in it. That's just what I think though.

True, although Troika is part of Sierra now if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they have enough money to buy the license if they must.

Just give Interplay some time to bury themselves a little more, they aren't desperate yet.

Also their stocks went back up almost to where it was when VB was rumored to be Fallout3.

Ningus said:
Slaughter said:
it is very much possible that this is just a publicity stunt
I don't know. Wouldn't Interplay say something if it is only a stunt?

No. Why would they? Any publicity stunt consigning to their company and that isn't overly negative on them is a good publicity stunt.

kumquatq3 said:
and Obsidian did recruit some BIS staff, right?

Some? The vast majority of Obsidian is ex-BIS people

I like how the stamp BIS apparently automatically makes people RPG-creating geniuses.

"He's from BIS, he should do Fallout!"

I know, let's make Fallout 3 with Sean K Reynolds as the lead designer!

Whilst SS's abilities as designers is questionable (unproven, plus the language issue, and some of their ideas...) I do think Carsten has the fans in mind a lot more than most developers. I'd feel happier with the FO license in their hands than Ineptplay's, though my ideal situation would be for SS to let Troika or Obsidian have a go at making the game with SS as backers, rather than a SS developed Fallout. I'm sure they could work something out between them, since everyone wants to do Fallout between those three companies, it's just a question of getting the license away from ineptplay.

Let's not forget the major reason why I don't want Obsidian and/or BioWare to touch the Fallout license. To them, evil is usually just good for hire, and that doesn't bode well for a setting in which dubious moral decisions are frequent.

Carsten sure is a world-class idiot if he thinks he isn't going to be screwed by Interplay, or just left out on a limb as Interplay folds. Sure, he's a nice guy when it comes down to it, but in a developer sense, he's still way green. Nearly all of the developers who have developed a title for Interplay have been fucked over or have had to take Interplay to court. One of the reasons why I think Cain was declined could be very well that he's been around for awhile and would be wiser to how companies like Interplay (current) tend to treat developers.

SS still has to be proven, or perhaps Interplay is relying on another spin-off to the Fallout series, or the Fallout license has been brought down enough for Interplay to consider having it licensed out again. Frankly, I think it may just be a marketing attempt by Carsten to pull in more Fallout fans his direcction, but most I've seen aren't too impressed and would rather see Fallout die than be in the hands of yet another overseas developer (insert issues about the setting here), a basically unproven one at that, or developers who have made several stigmas and misconceptions about the CRPG genre by using the D&D license in wholly uncreative ways that pander to the munchkin crowd. Many could throw a FR book into a blender and come up with better.

Let's also not forget who would have design controls and I really think it would shape up into another Fallout Tactics or worse, since there's really no people who have worked on Fallout there at Interplay anymore to consult with. At least there's no Dan Levin anymore (but his replacement turned out to be far worse, changing from a fixation on bodily functions to gratuitous swearing and further removal from the Fallout universe), but there's no positive creative input there, and just wait until Interplay plays some "editor" cards.

Anyone still in doubt as to this situation, or shall I make it a bit more clear?

I like how the stamp BIS apparently automatically makes people RPG-creating geniuses

I suppose, but that wasn't what I was going for

Tho, I would be happy if they got FO. Besides for the usual suspects, I think they have some good people there. I rather have them get it than Trokia at this point.

I know, let's make Fallout 3 with Sean K Reynolds as the lead designer!

:wink:

Note how he is not at obsidian?

Roshambo said:
Let's not forget the major reason why I don't want Obsidian and/or BioWare to touch the Fallout license. To them, evil is usually just good for hire, and that doesn't bode well for a setting in which dubious moral decisions are frequent.

Still, I think BioWare is getting better with their depictions of good and evil. KOTOR was pretty good with the paths you could take and their consequences. A little polishing could help but they are getting better, IMO.

Still, I think BioWare is getting better with their depictions of good and evil. KOTOR was pretty good with the paths you could take and their consequences. A little polishing could help but they are getting better, IMO.

Not sure if I agree with the comment regarding KOTOR. Sure they tried to put in "morality play" type of issues, but to me, it was entirely too black and white. If you do A, then B suffers.

I prefer the type where if you do A+B, but not do C (which you never knew about), then D is happy, but E is thrown down to the seventh layer of hell.

KOTOR was ok, but truly too narrow of focus for my taste.

Ok well I just made this post on the SS forums, after reading that SS wouldn't allow you to kill kids in the game, the way they say they can't make The Fall too gory, and the way they wouldn't make it pure turn based:

Ok well then I'm against it being developed by SS, and that's official.
Turn based combat is a must for Fallout. Child killing was in both F1 and F2. You may call it sick - but if the NPCs were in the game, they could bleed. It's part of the slightly sick sense in Fallout. It was not a morally clear game. There were drugs, drug addicition, sex without consequences, loads of gore, stereotyped rednecks, swearing, as well as being great. If those little bastard kids tried to pick pocket me in the Den - I'd kill the suckers. Bad luck, kids. That's 'on the edge' of political correctness, but I don't care, that's part of 'Fallout'. It's the happy-go-lucky optimism of the 50s gone badly wrong. Get over it.

FO3 has to be done right - it has to be done by the BIS guys, and the way this thread is going just shows me, unfortunately, that this is true. If the vision you're presenting to me comes to pass, it will be a butchery of the Fallout I love (and the other hardcore fans love), drowning in political correctness and moral preaching. If SS gets the license, I hope they do the decent thing and give it to Troika or Obsidian, as a true Fallout fan surely would, and in a similar way that Konami did to the wasteland license (they came into posession of it and gave it up to Brian Fargo).
I tried to be optimistic, but I can't see it working any more.

I don't think that Carsten will gave FO license (if he will get it) to anyone. He just love money too much to do this :-(

Baboon said:
Well why not? I haven't seen anything wrong with bioware games so far, and Obsidian did recruit some BIS staff, right? But Troika might be the best for this.

Because BioWare:

• Has never made a non-linear game. Even KotOR, with it's four planets you can pick, actually has a correct order of travel.
  • Enforces a strict story on the player, often ignoring dialogue choices by the player. Even in KotOR! Try to piss off Carth enough for him to leave when he keeps interrupting you - you'll get the same dialogue responses as if you weren't trying to piss him off. Word for word, they're the same.
  • Never has made a game with an actual good/evil set of branches. KotOR, once again, has it's only major good/dark choice near the very end, before you head to the StarForge. Then there's the matter of your NPCs often stopping you from actually being evil because it's not appropriate and you can't rebuke your NPCs for this at all.
  • Has forced NPC banter, where NPCs interrupt you at very silly times in the middle of you doing important stuff so they can talk about their personal feelings with you. WTF is that? I'm in the middle of a beholder lair, teaming with very nasty critters - Not the best time for some chick to tell me she's felt like an outcast most of her life. Seriously.
  • LOVES TO SPOIL PUZZLES WITH JOURNALS AND DATAPADS. Imagine finding a holodisc on a dead guy in Fallout 3 outside every little area explaining what exactly is going to happen in that area.
  • Has never made a turn based game, even though they love to claim their real time with pause crap is actually turn based. :roll:
  • In their last few games, you can't attack anything that doesn't attack you first. In other words, you can't just kill a few people to get them out of your way and go on to the prize. You have to jump through their hoops to do whatever they want you to do.

They've never done anything nearly as good as Fallout, and they've been making CRPGs since the mid to late 1990s.

Personally, i'd like to see the license die, totally. Just get to the point where it's not possible for another to be made, like System Shock. FO3, no matter made by, will always be far worst than the originals. And even though I like Troika alot, i'd rather see an original Troikian masterpiece than a rehash of their older stuff. Remember, Fallout is what happened when they did something original (when they were at Interplay).

Also, Silver Style fucking sucks as worse as Interplay. It'd be the same damn fire.

Back