Censorship? There is no censorship!

Parenting and child rearing are synonyms. They're the same thing. What did you think 'parenting' even meant?

That makes no sense, unless you genuinely think that anyone was making the point that two people physically making a baby is a social construct. Which no one was.

But again, here's what you actually said when you jumped in:
Akratus said:
If we observe the parenting of people a thousand years ago, or even cavemen, and see that they too take on dual parenting roles, I dare you to call it a social construct.
"Parenting of people", taking on "dual parenting roles". You were talking about parenting, about the ways in which societies take care of their children. About child rearing. And, again, you are completely wrong about those observations.

Again I ask: what are you even trying to accomplish here? Who are you trying to fool?

They take on dual parenting roles. I was merely talking about the roles, not the parenting. It's you who's making this into a big issue. I wasn't even trying to refute anybody. I know what I'm doing but I have no idea what you're doing.

They take on dual parenting roles. I was merely talking about the roles, not the parenting.
Parenting roles as devoid of any reference to the activity of parenting? Because, again, unless you mean through the physical act of making a baby, the idea that dual parenting roles are a constant throughout history is just not true.

I mean, I genuinely don't get what you're trying to say. Can you explain it in simpler terms or something?

They take on dual parenting roles. I was merely talking about the roles, not the parenting. It's you who's making this into a big issue. I wasn't even trying to refute anybody. I know what I'm doing but I have no idea what you're doing.

Just to be fair, I still dont know why you got cavemen in to this. Have they done something to you? Has a cavemen stole your bike? Have they beat you at school? Hmm?!

They take on dual parenting roles. I was merely talking about the roles, not the parenting.
Parenting roles as devoid of any reference to the activity of parenting? Because, again, unless you mean through the physical act of making a baby, the idea that dual parenting roles are a constant throughout history is just not true.

I mean, I genuinely don't get what you're trying to say. Can you explain it in simpler terms or something?

Usually there's a mom and a dad.

D'you get it now?

And what's the implication, here? Do you mean a physical mom and dad, as in two people who pass on their DNA? Because again, no one disputed that. Or do you mean a mom and dad in the sense that they take on parenting duties analogous to the parenting duties mothers and fathers take on in our culture? Because, again, if that's your point, that's just not a constant, and certainly not applicable to animals.

And what's the implication, here? Do you mean a physical mom and dad, as in two people who pass on their DNA? Because again, no one disputed that. Or do you mean a mom and dad in the sense that they take on parenting duties analogous to the parenting duties mothers and fathers take on in our culture? Because, again, if that's your point, that's just not a constant, and certainly not applicable to animals.

Are you implying animals do not care for their young? Because they do.
If that is not what you are implying, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Are you implying animals do not care for their young? Because they do.
If that is not what you are implying, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.
I'm saying that the way animals care for their children is different from the typical mother+father construct we have in current 'Western' societies.

Ok, other question -

How is the Mother - Father construct in western societies different from the mother-father complex in Eastern societies?

Ok, other question -

How is the Mother - Father construct in western societies different from the mother-father complex in Eastern societies?
'Western' is kind of a shitty and poorly-defined concept, which is why I use quotation marks -- but everyone at least vaguely understands what is meant. 'Eastern', though, I don't know exactly what you mean by that. I hesitate to make strong statements about specific societies because I'm no expert on them, and almost every society on earth is heavily influenced by 'Western' concepts these days, for obvious reasons. However, you could look at the concept of the three-generation household common in China, where grandparents tend to take care of many of the child-rearing duties. You could look at traditional Akan (West Africa) child-rearing practices, where child-rearing is the duty of an extended family with those who have the time taking those duties upon them. You could look at societies which practice "visiting marriage", where the husband and wife live with separate families and the child-rearing is primarily undertaken by one of the two, something you see in parts of Africa and China.

Historically, the concept of a couple leaving their parents' homes early in life, and rearing their children together as mother and father is mostly limited to North-Western Europe, and even then is a relatively recent development.

AWWW YEEEEAAAAAAAAH

Kor5P11.jpg

HE IS A REAL AMERICAN
FIGHT TO KEEP HIS SEX TAPE OFF THE NET

Also, he's fighting in the most american way possible: Lawsuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is embarassing. I looked it over again, figured a court case over a sex tape from half a year ago isn't really relevant.

Anyway, it's funny how posting a hulk hogan sex tape is ok, even when asked to remove it, but posting anything sex related of female celebrities obviously means you cavort with satan.

lol:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B35p3XIIUAEbjDs.png:large
https://twitter.com/THB_STX/status/540242275063046144

Kind of relevant:
http://reason.com/blog/2014/12/01/chris-rock-stopped-performing-for-studen

Last edited:
Yeah, the espoused need for every female character to be 'strong' is sometimes a kind of never-satisfied critique. But then again, the argument made is that they're simply tipping the scales, advocating a balance in character types, compensating for overused stereotypes and tropes. Then again again I don't think the industry needs more encouragement nowadays, in the creation of competent female characters. What with companies like Bioware, TellTale, Double Fine, many indies et al embracing feminism. Hell even Call of Duty has introduced female soldiers. But of course, it never was a question of whether equality is good or not, it's a question of what critique flies and what doesn't, and whether a game having something offensive is bad or not. Tagz saying: "Saint's Row appears to revel in the marginalization and treatment of sex workers as mere objects." is kind of silly to me, especially when we consider how the game actually presents it. Nobody has, or will, ever take Saints Row seriously. So how could it be a problem other than in how offensive it is to this particular brand of feminism?

Last edited:
"These tropes are overused, and female characters are all too often limited and used in very specific and very different ways from male characters" is the very short-form version of most cultural critiques of female characters, including Anita Sarkeesian's. That image, like most of this and the previous thread, is not reacting to the actual content of those cultural critiques, but to a straw man version that somehow people have internalized.

Yes, you can have flawed female characters. In fact, your female characters should be flawed (as should all characters). Yes, you can have female villains. Yes, you can have female characters with negative traits. The point is that female characters should be treated with the same depth and variation granted male characters, but they often aren't.

That opening line is pretty hilarious, considering KoP, RevueMage etc etc.

Back