Creation Kit and Bethesda.net mods are out

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Kilus, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Brahmin Noodles

Brahmin Noodles Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 26, 2016
    To be fair, doesn't Valve own all the rights to mods on the Steam Workshop? I think it's shit business practice, but I'm just saying that Bethesda isn't the only company to do crap like that.

2. DirtyOldShoe

DirtyOldShoe Some kind of lucky

Dec 15, 2015
    Except that is not the case.
    D. Game Mods

Content also includes Game Mods. The term “Game Mod” means downloadable, user-generated Content developed or created by You or a third party using an Editor Tool (as defined below). In certain cases, as determined by ZeniMax, Game Mods may be made available to other users of a Service or a Game and in such cases, such other users may download the Game Mods from ZeniMax or third parties and use such Game Mods in connection with playing a Game or receiving a Service from ZeniMax.

If You desire to develop or create one or more Game Mods, then You will be required to download from a ZeniMax website or otherwise gain access to via a ZeniMax website one or more software tools through which You may create or develop Game Mods (each such tool is an “Editor Tool”). To obtain a copy of or get access to any such Editor Tool, You will be required to agree to the terms of a separate EULA (the “Editor EULA”). If there is a conflict between the terms and conditions in any such Editor EULA and the terms and conditions in these Terms of Service, the terms in the Editor EULA will control over the conflicting terms in these Terms of Service but solely for purpose of the specific Editor Tool and not for any other purpose. Please review the terms in the Editor EULA carefully.

With respect to Game Mods made available for download from a ZeniMax website or made available from a ZeniMax server, ZeniMax may, at any time and in its sole discretion, elect to remove such Game Mods from the ZeniMax website(s) or server(s) without notice to You.

Each Game Mod is owned by the developer of the Game Mod, subject to the licenses granted by the developer to ZeniMax as set forth in the Editor EULA.

ZeniMax may, but is not required under this Agreement to, validate, test, evaluate or pre-screen Game Mods.

ZeniMax does not endorse, sponsor, guaranty or approve any Game Mods, including without limitation Game Mods available for download from a ZeniMax website.

Your experience with any particular Game Mod may vary from other users’ experiences.

IF YOU ELECT TO INSTALL, DOWNLOAD OR USE ANY GAME MODS, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW AND SUBJECT TO THE STATUTORY OBLIGATIONS (AS DEFINED IN SECTION 1), ZeniMax reserves the right (but has no obligation except as required by law) to OFFER, make available, REVIEW, remove, block, edit, move or disable GAME MODs for any reason, with or without notice, and HAS no liability of any kind WITH RESPECT TO GAME MODs, including WITHOUT LIMITATION when ZeniMax determines that a GAME MOD violates THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, the EDITOR EULA. The decision to remove a GAME MOD at any time is in ZeniMax's sole and final discretion.

To the maximum extent permitted by law, ZeniMax does not assume any responsibility or liability for GAME MODs or for the removal of any GAME MODs FOR any failure to or delay in removing, any GAME MOD.

To sum it up, If it is their tools used they can post it, advertise it, share it and remove it at whim, but it remains in the authors ownership. That way they can avoid issues with console. All responsibility goes back to the modder. Unfortunately for Bethesda, no one told them that just because you have a TOS doesn't make it legal and binding. If someones game, console or life gets fucked up and Bethesda could have done something to stop it, no TOS can protect them.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  3. Risewild

Risewild Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Basically if I understand it right, that means that the mod developer owns the mod unless the CK's EULA says otherwise, which it does, since it says anything made in it is property of Bethesda. :confused:

EDIT: I think if there is any problem with a mod and people complain, the author will be the one blamed, by what I understand it means the mod is owned by the author unless Bethesda specifically says it is not... I think it is a way of Bethesda to not take any responsibility for errors and problems, but also to safeguard themselves and "appropriate" any mod when it is convenient for them for whatever reason.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  4. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    The difference here though is that Valve supports the modding community and even in some cases helps great mods turn into stand alone games. Remember Counterstrike? That was a mod before it became a game and they uplifted the modders who made it by buying them and supporting them.

Black Mesa? Was a recent mod that Valve said that they could turn into a stand alone and market as a game with Valve only retaining some of the properties at the IP/copyright holder.

Hell Portal was a college project someone made and they hired them and let them make Portal.

Valve learned early on that supporting their modders was by far the best thing they could ever do for their company. And in doing so have furthered Video Games as a form of art rather than just a business model.

The whole Steam Greenlite project was inspired by stand alone mods that should be turned into marketable games, and later incorporated all fledgling games.

Now I know everyone is going to bring up the Valve/Steam and Bethesda paid mods fiasco, but once Valve caught wind of the outcry they crushed it without even talking to Bethesda about it. Comparatively game company wise Valve has been the most supportive of its fan bases and modding community. Not to mention the fact that they rarely if ever send out lawyers to crush mods or other IP that is similar to their own.

The only case I ever heard of Valve doing anything remotely legal against a modder was Black mesa. And that was because Black Mesa had Source at the end of its name and they were in the middle of talks about getting it turned into a stand alone marketable item rather than a mod. It wasn't a case of protecting copyright but to allow the modders to have free reign over as much of the games property as possible to prevent stunting their growth.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  5. LoneRange

LoneRange First time out of the vault

May 9, 2016
    there is the explanation of why there are no horses in the Fallout games
    Beth: They will be the main character in the FO 5 !! kkkk

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  6. LoneRange

LoneRange First time out of the vault

May 9, 2016
    [spoiler
    I mods only for my amusement, that meets my needs.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    Ain't horses extinct in Fallout? I remember a big discussion about this during the FNV hayday where it was brought up that because of radiation poisoning and that horses can't puke they'd... Die? Or something.

(And Chance's flashback is not reliable, he's a strung out druggie who's losing grip on reality.)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    That's a shame, horse is a good meal.

9. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    Mirelurks supposedly taste awesome. At least according to... what was her name? Grandma sparkle?

10. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Cats were also extinct but then we have Fallout 4... And they are not extinct anymore :confused:
    So maybe some horses survived in some cowboy themed vault or something stupid like that :lmao:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    That's not funny. In fact your scaring me. I mean beth wouldn't disrespect fallout that hard.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. Practicat

Practicat Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 25, 2014
    You can't take what Mr. House says about cats for granted, right? His remark that cats are extinct is another one of his pretentious claims characterizing his arrogance.

And another thing: I admit now that mods cannot restore the level of role playing from previous entries in the Fallout series, not because doing so is difficult, but because it's impossible due to hard coded constraints.

13. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    *fixed

14. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    Urgh. Do you see any cats in Fallout 1 and 2, or even heard about them? Any mention at all?
    Using your disbelief of Mr. House's saying cats are extinct to describe him like that is just..... urgh. Irrelevant. Okay, there was supposed to be Van Buren where it seemed cats were to make an appearance. But would you consider Mr. House's dialogue as a way for Obsidian to tell us about the fate of any other animals from before the Great War? Shouldn't cats undergo some form of mutation? Is there any explanation Bethesda gave us regarding why cats are the exact same from before the bombs fall?

Now, now, more on-topic. What are the thoughts of anyone here who have tried the GECK? Is it as good or better than the previous GECK?

15. Gary

Gary End my suffering.

May 5, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. a721402

a721402 Played FPS for decades still suck at it.

Mar 29, 2016
    Can't remember who and which thread, but someone do said it's creation kit of skyrim with some new little goodies, and it have always online DRM.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  17. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    Ah, yes. What a fool am I, having played just 3-4 days ago. I'm not sure how NMA feels about it, since it's from Fallout 2, but I stand corrected.

Hmm..

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    I mean, one could always pull the old excuse that "oh well horses could've survived 'somewhere', we don't know that they're extinct on a global scale". But I don't like that. Some species should've gone extinct when a nuclear war happened and kitties and horses should stay extinct IMO. Bringing them back from nowhere just feels wrong. Yes, we don't know for certain that horses and kitties are extinct but when it has been implied or flat out stated by characters in the games I think it would be for the better to stick to it. There are so many creatures out there that aren't supposedly 'extinct', why not bring them into a future Fallout game? Why cats? Why horses? What good does it do to piss on what has been previously established (or at the very least strongly implied)?

It's the aftermath of a nuclear war, a global war of hellfire, blacked out skies and extreme lethal levels of radiation. Some things should've gone extinct.

Mountain Lions hasn't been declared as being extinct for example. They're part of the kittie family. They're just not house cats. I wouldn't mind if they appeared in a Fallout game.

19. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    But Fallout has Horses:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. tekhedd

tekhedd Hoarding ammo IS gameplay

Oct 28, 2008
    So... finally caught up on this thread and it's insteresting, but after reading 12 pages of text, the thing that sticks in my head is "but 'stupider' is a real word."