Creation Kit and Bethesda.net mods are out

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Kilus, Apr 26, 2016.

1. a721402

a721402 Played FPS for decades still suck at it.

Mar 29, 2016
    Other game is not flawless at release can not be use as a excuse for a broken release.
    Cover your eyes won't make the problem go away by itself.

2. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I think the thing about Rockstar is that their game has the online multiplayer component, so certain mods can actually allow to cheat in that game and be unfair for other players.

Bethesda only releases singleplayer games and so they have no reason to not allow mods or offer modding tools, since that was what always made their games popular and being sold so much.

To be honest I say fuck both of them... Hell fuck most AAA game companies these days, when it is not mods it is bad support, when it is not bad support it is selling overpriced shit, etc etc...

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  3. Practicat

Practicat Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 25, 2014
    It's hard to say whether there's a sinister intention in Bethesda.net hosting the unofficial patch. It has improved players' experiences, after all, as far as making the game less buggy goes. If Beth had decided to incorporate the unofficial patch's fixes into their own patch, then the benefit of the mod authors' work would have been diminished, and there may have been accusations of Beth taking modders' work and making it theirs, unless they were compensated (which is another issue).

The work had been done. Is it really unexpected that Beth would chose to host it ASAP, even if the work is not theirs, and thus improve players' experience sooner rather than later?

4. Plzstandbuy

Plzstandbuy Lonely Drifter

Dec 7, 2015
    Even with the creation kit only so much can be done to make this game not shit. We would need the source code because this game needs an overhaul in very basic design. The leveling system needs to be scrapped, and rework the combat system to make it line up with D&D rules.

Then not to mention the story is insulting, the map is a theme park, and there is only a handful of enemy types. What little lore they added is atrocious and actually destroys established lore even more so.

The only thing really salvageable is the engine and some of the assets. If it were up to me I would just make a whole other Fallout game using Unreal Engine 4 or other modern game engines.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 4, 2015
    If a lot of the bugs and issues present in FO4 weren't more of the same shit that have been plaguing BGS games forever, followed by Godd Howard sycophants hand waving them away as being "typical Bethesda, hahaha," patching the game after release wouldn't be that much of an issue.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  6. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The errors of past Fallouts doesn't make Fallout 4 run any smother though. See, that's one of the points I wanted to make. We are talking about Bethesda here, one of the really big onees in the AAA buisness, with years of experience, a lot of resources and using the same engine for two decades. Do you really think they should do the same mistakes over and over again by now? By the way, this is a general problem. A lot of games these days get released in a state ... that's simply unacceptable, and it would have been even 15 years ago unacceptable. See Aliens Colonial Marines, Arkham Knight or well ... any Bethesda game at release.

It makes it easier for us at some point. At least for me. I mean we are a community dedicated for the most part, to the old Fallout games. Really such a surprise that we defend them? This is a fan forum after all. Don't act like this is somehow outlandish or totally unheard off on the internet.

No clue if it is. I thought, beeing unreasonable is a sign of bias. Like I said. We have a reason for our criticism.
    For example, the way how dialog and writing was always a strong point of Fallout, where it now barely plays a role in Fallout 4. Take the number of choices and consequences. How many of those are in F4? A handfull. At most. Skill checks or dialog options which matter have been even totally cut out.
    As someone on the Codex said, Bethesda is making games that look nice, but do they make games that also play nice? A lot of their games have only a quality on the surface.

Maybe, maybe not. This is NMA. And I don't give a shit.

Well, except that I never said, Fallout 4 can't be enjoyed. Like by you, or anyone else.
    Seeing flaws =/= nothing positive.
    The problem is, that if you have a somewhat realistic perception, you have to realize that Fallout 4 is simply not offering you a stelar RPG experience. That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the game. I love mindless shooters. It's just not what I want from a Fallout game.

No reason for that so far.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 5
  7. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    I think we just need to come to the conclusion that FO4 is shovel ware and no amount of modding will fix it.

We should also brace ourselves for what the inevitable crap storm that is paid mods popping up will be. Barricade NMA, the quiet before the storm is here.

8. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    I'll be interested to see how much more of a walking simulator TES6 ends up being, based on what they did with Fallout 4. Skyrim was already pretty shallow, I fully expect the next one to strip out even more.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    At this point, I would not be surprised if TES6 won't be much more than a slightly prettier version of the Doom 4 Map-Creation-Tool that you get with the game. Why even pretend at this point that they deliver a real role playing game? Let people build their own ... adventure!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. Zerginfestor

Zerginfestor dear god, the scrapping

Apr 18, 2015
    http://i.imgur.com/sfQNqsr.png?1

Good lord, what is with people making shitty excuses to shove in Paid Modding? This guy is even pointed and ridiculed at on their cancerous forums for such a shitty 'reason'.

11. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    One little note, the ToS/EULA say that any mod made using Bethesda's CKs/GECKs for their games ARE Bethesda's property.
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/bethesda-owns-the-rights-to-your-skyrim-creation-kit-mods

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  12. a721402

a721402 Played FPS for decades still suck at it.

Mar 29, 2016
  13. Polynoid

Polynoid Faceless creature in green pullover

Apr 13, 2016
  14. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    It's also one of those things that's not really enforceable in any meaningful way, it's just Bethesda covering their bases, same as any other EULA. That's the sort of thing no one, not even the companies involved, wants going to court because it could set really bad precedents.

15. Money4U

Money4U First time out of the vault

Oct 22, 2015
    Hmn.. That's means that even ''mods'' from ''Loverslab'' are Bethesda property?! Bethesda you did this on purpose don't you, you nasty little s*hit ;-P Lol

16. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Uh, but it is pretty much a standard in todays gaming. It has pretty much always been like that. Like I said, when you mod a game, you're using the assets and work of others after all. Obviously, as long you're not making any profit, this isn't really much of a problem.

17. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Now Bethesda just needs to come out and say they made the mods because it's their assets to piss modders off and so I have a reason to get some popcorn and have a good laugh.

18. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...The pain of being dead...

Sep 11, 2010
    Kind of offtopic but I just saw the building mechanic in Rust and man, it really does feel like Bethesda just flat out ripped it off.

19. The_Guide

The_Guide First time out of the vault

Sep 30, 2015
    I hate paid mods. We can't stop it anyway, so is it legal if JSawer sell his own mod? I just can't stand the other people get paid but not them.

20. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    I'm sure at some point in this thread I outlined how screwed modders are in the IP realm of law. But yeah, they "own" your created property when you mod it into their game. How else do you think they could get away with that crap DLC they just released with robots. (The mod the ripped off of was the Robco mod from FNV I think.)

At least they could go the Mojang route and give the modder some credit, and money when they take their idea for use in the game.

But to break this down for everyone else who is unfamiliar with IP and Copyright law. If you mod for a game that has a legally established IP and copyright everything you make that falls under the scope of inclusion is automatically considered the original IP and copyright holders property even if they were not affiliated with the generation of that new IP. Example: Disney, Disney only produced maybe 10% of the IP they currently own. That bought about 60% of the rest while the remainder is work that was done outside of their control that they then later took to court and absorbed.

And lets not go down the EA route because we will never see the bottom of that abyss. But I hope my point is understood that modders have no rights under the current IP and copyright law. Modders who want their IP protected find games that have expired IP and copyright and tinker with those. But even then they have to contend with IP trolls (Yes that is the actual term) who purchase IP to later only use that IP to bully those who try to use what should be a dead IP/copyright.

Paid mods also prevent any form of legal representation for modders as they force said modders to conform to the original IP/copyright holders terms of service as well are subject to any stipulations outlined in any form of contract that would be drawn up by the original holder. (Pretty much they get excluded from legal representation and rights for or under the IP/copyright because they are forced to mod under conditions superimposed on them by the IP holder).

Plus if you use a "program" the IP/copyright holder released to mod something without a licensing contract, even if that mod is not related to the IP in any way they can also say that the "new" IP is theirs as well.

While this is technically a grey area for IP/copyright law, it is still very clear what rights the individual modder has in these cases.

I reaffirm Paid mods = Slavery.

• [Like] [Like] x 1