Cyberpunk 2077

I was frankly a bit dissapointed by the Cyberpunk trailer. The setting may as well be ripped right off Human Revolution (yes I know it's not the first cyberpunk setting ever, but still). Now I won't write it off or anything, but I expected a bit more originality. We'll see how the gameplay turns out.

Yeah, the choice of the trailers plot instantly resembles DXHR, with the change in the color palette. However, as a teaser designed just to grasp attention it plays the role quite well. Of course I'd be much more happy with gameplay/mechanics showed too.

Ilosar said:
I was frankly a bit dissapointed by the Cyberpunk trailer. The setting may as well be ripped right off Human Revolution (yes I know it's not the first cyberpunk setting ever, but still). Now I won't write it off or anything, but I expected a bit more originality. We'll see how the gameplay turns out.
How do you want to add originality without deviating from the source material?
Cyberpunk (the PnP) has been around for ages. If they would stray from that just so there would be less similarity to DXHR, the Cyberpunk-fans would cry out.

Ilosar said:

you get all that only from the trailer? just because it physically looks like something else doesn't mean it has to be anything like it.

It certainly seems so. So the Psycho Squad recruits some members from the psychos?
That's some Blade Runnery right there...

Wow,

I think this is just the type of game i've been looking for, used to play an MMO which had a cyberpunk theme called 'Face of Mankind' but FoM lost its way BIG TIME many years ago.

aenemic said:
Ilosar said:

you get all that only from the trailer? just because it physically looks like something else doesn't mean it has to be anything like it.

From the mouth of CD Projeckt's managing director;

“In 2077 as we imagine it, technology will be so advanced that implants will fit in the tip of a needle, making modification easy. The decision to change will therefore be largely aesthetic and ostensibly harmless. Realskin synthetic skin looks real but is better than real. It’s soft, it has pores that subtly release sweat, but it is so much more. It’s amazing, those who adopt it look like pumped, modified dolls, because they are perfect, or some version of it. When people choose modification, they’re making a statement, they’re expressing a preference.”

“When somebody walks around with a chrome hand, it’s not because there’s some underlying technology that makes their hand look like that. It’s because they think chrome hands look cool. When somebody has a leg with servomotors, it’s because they choose to look extreme (like the best new carbon fiber bike). And their choice is completely based on style, it extends and enriches their style. You’ll get access to a rich arsenal of firearms, but if you want to have blades because they look cool, go for it. All these elements will make it into Cyberpunk 2077. 'Style Over Substance' is our core theme, after all.”

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-reds-open-world-sci-fi-epic

Switch the date to 2027, and I would be convinced he were talking about Human Revolution. I imagine the gameplay will be different, but the setting is nigh-identical.

I know it was a PnP campaign too. But I would have thought they would spice it up a little bit, I don't know.

Pretty much all works of cyberpunk are more or less interchangable.
Maybe they differ a little in the way the cyberspace is portrayed, but all in all most cyberpunk will look like Blade Runner in terms of style.
Deus Ex is based around the classic cyberpunk tropes, which were also coined by the Cyberpunk/Cyberpunk 2020/Cyberpunk v3 PnP.
If at all, Deus Ex should have shown more originality :D

Hassknecht said:
It certainly seems so. So the Psycho Squad recruits some members from the psychos?
That's some Blade Runnery right there...

Yup. They stated somewhere that it's the way psycho squad gets new recruits.

Ilosar said:
Switch the date to 2027, and I would be convinced he were talking about Human Revolution. I imagine the gameplay will be different, but the setting is nigh-identical.

I know it was a PnP campaign too. But I would have thought they would spice it up a little bit, I don't know.

Well, Cyberpunk as a genre is more or less like that. Also, they heavily hinted that the game will be less about transhumanism and more the problems generated by excessive escapism, voyeurism and drug abuse (people using BD drives that let them live other people's live).

Given that they started development during the economic crisis and that Europe is particularly hit, I hope they'll keep an eye on class struggle and capitalism, but on the other hand, I don't know if CDPR is the best studio to do such a thing, given that when they attempted to tackle themes of class with The Witcher 1... well, let's be honest, they didn't do particularly well.

Of course, The Witcher 2 was already a big improvement in writing, so maybe they'd do a better job now.

Ilosar said:
aenemic said:
Ilosar said:

From the mouth of CD Projeckt's managing director;

“In 2077 as we imagine it, technology will be so advanced that implants will fit in the tip of a needle, making modification easy. The decision to change will therefore be largely aesthetic and ostensibly harmless. Realskin synthetic skin looks real but is better than real. It’s soft, it has pores that subtly release sweat, but it is so much more. It’s amazing, those who adopt it look like pumped, modified dolls, because they are perfect, or some version of it. When people choose modification, they’re making a statement, they’re expressing a preference.”

“When somebody walks around with a chrome hand, it’s not because there’s some underlying technology that makes their hand look like that. It’s because they think chrome hands look cool. When somebody has a leg with servomotors, it’s because they choose to look extreme (like the best new carbon fiber bike). And their choice is completely based on style, it extends and enriches their style. You’ll get access to a rich arsenal of firearms, but if you want to have blades because they look cool, go for it. All these elements will make it into Cyberpunk 2077. 'Style Over Substance' is our core theme, after all.”

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-reds-open-world-sci-fi-epic

meh, I still think that's a bit of a stretch. admitedly, I don't know anything about the Cyberpunk setting. but to me it seems like a different take on synthetic enhancements. the concept itself is nothing new, but rather where humanity will eventually end up. but no where do I see that Cyberpunk 2077's story will revolve around the political and ethical discussions around the augmentations.

You have a cyberpunk game being made by a developer that has no qualms about adult themes and graphic displays of nudity. It really is the future.

WorstUsernameEver said:
Given that they started development during the economic crisis and that Europe is particularly hit, I hope they'll keep an eye on class struggle and capitalism, but on the other hand, I don't know if CDPR is the best studio to do such a thing, given that when they attempted to tackle themes of class with The Witcher 1... well, let's be honest, they didn't do particularly well.

wat

Class struggle in Witcher 1? Where?

Why is it that everytime one of these CGI teasers appear, there is a bunch of idiots thinking the game is gonna look like that and that they need new graphic cards?

Well, didn't tell much, just some naked chick destroying slow mo bullets with her skin.

Hate the trailer music and am not particularly awed by the trailer either. It also kind of reminds me of Ghost in a Shell for some reason, wonder if they will have anything on that level of originality. I hope they won't sway to the generic Mass Effect type of shit.

Back