Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Set in 2029, two years after the events of Human Revolution, Adam Jensen returns and joins forces with an Interpol-funded task force aiming to hunt down and capture augmented terrorists in a world that now hates and fears transhumans. Jensen has a new suite of augmentations that allow him to cleverly navigate stealth, combat, and social interactions, but how Jensen chooses to solve every problem is entirely up to you. At the end of Human Revolution, the Illuminati caused every transhuman to go into a fight-or-flight response and attack anyone near them. In the next issue of Game Informer, you can find out how this event caused humanity to hate and fear those with augmentations.

TsoPXXBNgN8.jpg

jdfhyx0XSBs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CG reveal trailer.

Wow. Look at all those weapons I'll never use. :p

Trailer looks like arse to be honest. Then again, all CG trailers do. Hope the actual game handles the topic with way more finesse and options to choose your stance.

Also, I can already bet that Jensen's backstory will be a big facepalm story. I mean, we've got a choice between "miraculously survived" and a blatant retcon here...

Finally, kind of disappointed from what I'm reading - that the previous game will in no way affect the events of this one :(

I think they mean that your choices from the last game don't affect what happens in this game. It would be hard for them to make a game that took in to account all the various ways you could end the previous game and they'll probably make the canon ending a combination of all those somehow. We'll see. *shrug*

I'm still gonna like it. I've been a fan of Deus Ex for years. After this I hope they make a sequel to Invisible War.

This news makes me ooze outta my shoes. However, after the failure that was Thief in 2014 and Deus Ex: The Fall, I'm a bit concerned that Eidos Montreal might not deliver. The game is already taking pre orders, so I've gotta assume it's coming out soon, hopefully this year?

So maybe by the time I finish the original, Invisible War, and Human Revolution I can play this one.

I never demanded the present object.

Good this is getting a non mobile game continuation, I just hope they don't go the same retarded route as THIAF and make a bunch of shit contextual.

I heard on Podquisition that the devs are working toward a more "action oriented" gameplay focus.

mlfw8212-Bend_Over.gif

From what I understand from the Game Informer leak is that they heard from players that playing stealth-style was more fun than playing balls-out action style so they're doing more to accommodate the action-style players. The game will have full stealth capability like the first game.

Hi all,

At one side I am very interested in this game as I liked Human Revolution a lot and thought it was a good game for most of the duration of the story/campaign and I liked how nice it looked.

But on the other side it sort of started to loose steam after a while, giving the feeling that the designers stopped caring and just wanted to make some end to this, or that they just did not have plain time to make the last part very good.
I found the game not very replayable to be honest, perhaps because of what I mentioned above but also because I did not feel a replay was really rewarding anymore.

Also I did not really care much about the focus on the mechanical augmentation issue in the story, at some point it became so dragged out and the focus of almost every discussion by every character you meet.
In DE1 it was just one of many subjects around which the world revolved, political corruption, out of control privatization, environmental damage, energy crises, the increasing inequality between the rich and the poor and the practical non existence of the middle class, terrorism of various types, unethical scientific development, epidemics, and so on.

HR mentions some other stuff like a civil war in Australia and so on but practically does nothing with it.

Last, I had a talk about this game on Steam chat and realized during it that I did not find Jensen at all that interesting as a protagonist. As my conversation partner pointed out, he is rather a brick.
Denton in comparison was a lot more likeable, he could be sarcastic or snarky depending on how you played him, but he could also care about people, especially the common ones in the street who didn't have much influence in the forces that shape society and their lives.

There were some elements like that in HR but I can't recall them as well as the ones in Deus Ex 1 such as the situation in which you decide to help the hotel owner of the 'Ton with his problems with his daughter, or decide to deal with Jojo Fine.

As my conversation partner already mentioned; it is kind of interesting that the guy who was designed to be some kind of superman/augmented assassin could sometimes be much more humane than 'natural' humans.

As for HR being a real prequel to Deus Ex 1, I pretty much have the same feeling as some others here do and also say no.
It shares elements, names, and so on, but it could just as well take place in a whole different universe.
(on that note, when the developers mentioned in an interview that they 'grounded' the Illuminati more, it felt sort of like a slap in the face of the original writers. Sort of a 'they tried their best but we just know plain better' mentality.)

I'll keep a look out for Mankind Divided as it seems a rather average year for sci-fi-ish titles, but I don't have to high expectations from it other than being perhaps an entertaining game for a few days.

Last edited:
It bums me out because I'm playing through the series for the first(sorta) time and I don't like the backstory to the original being hindered by a sub-par prequel storyline. I guess I'm afraid they retconned something in HR and will so in the newest one. I'm at Hong Kong in Deus Ex atm. Hope to beat it soon.

Toront, my advice is; enjoy Human Revolution for what it is.
It is very hard to follow up on Deus Ex, Invisible War got it wrong when they tried to make it behave more like a FPS and primarily designed it for the consoles.

I am not saying that Deus Ex 1 is a perfect gem, it has plenty of flaws.
But this game was very hard to follow up on, even by the original designers.
I do not agree with them that the somewhat more futuristic setting of IW was what killed the game, more the execution of it. Not enough effort was done to connect us more to the world of the Post Collapse.

The story of Human Revolution is good, however has flaws. I would consider it Deus Ex, but has instances where it copies the base elements and adds little. The amount of content in HR is a whole hell of a lot less than the original.

The gameplay and level design? No. Close, but it's way too "next-gen". It pushes you from area to area way too fast with little motivation to explore the levels.

Also, the conversation system seems like an awesome beta that forgot to add in all of the content afterwards.

Hacking is BOSS though.

It's one of those examples of a game having the ability to take the series to the next level, ala Empire Strikes Back, but releases "Saw 4."

I'm fine with adding combat elements. Deus Ex has alot of combat elements and could be a great tactical action game.

The thing I'm afraid of is "Next-gen" combat elements.

Looks kinda cool, I've heard a lot of good things about Deus Ex, never got around to really playing it.

Perhaps I should play them in anticipation for this game, should I play the original? Or skip straight to Human Revolution.

Personally I can't even see why it should be asked.
The original Deus Ex of course!

But I think that when it comes to playing a 'logical' predecessor to Mankind Divided such as similar gameplay, atmosphere of the locations, that you probably should only have to play Human Revolution.
I still would not call that the best Deus Ex game though.

Back