Different Concepts for the Legion

Faceless Stranger

Board Drifter
Title says it all, what do you think would have been a less ridiculous concept for the legion, or how how would you have improved on the existing one?

I personally would've made the Legion inspired by Nazi Germany, calling themselves the Fourth Reich, shortened to "The Reich" when brought in outside conversations. They could have been industrial with a large interest in energy weapons mimicking the Nazis' ingenuitive nature by reworking and developing their own crude, but potential-filled energy weapons and robots. In this sense they would've been as advanced if not more so than the NCR, lacking only numbers due to strict criteria for their military men, using those they deem inferior as workers. The soldiers of The Reich could even use German phrases and pronunciation which would seem alot more plausible than latin. Their leader, the Fuhrer, could follow Caesar's opinion that the NCR is a clone of the system that started the war, and want to bring under the flag of their Reich, they could show pro human disposition, having prejudices againdt ghouls and mutants, but allow them in on occasion.

This way it would seem at least that the Mojave would fall under a civilized faction should you side with them, and not machete wielding savages.

I don't know. I'm an avid fan of fallout and playing against Super Mutants, Energy Weapon wielding Enclave Robots and the Enclave again. I think the Legion as crazy melee heavy warriors is a cool way to go. But I think it would have been better if there was a Sub-faction that were like the Amazons. Since the Legion don't let women in their ranks to fight. And I think it would have been cool to have a sister tribe where you could help them stay with the legion or turn them against them kinda like the Khans :D.

A group of Neo-luddites following a charismatic leader.

the leader follows the Caesar storyline mostly , (FoA gone rogue) but what moves him is he sees the NCR doing the same mistakes that happened before the big war, and decides that he starts a cult (as in small religious group, not "evil" per say or a sect if you will) to wipe out all advanced technology. He goes into the tribal lands, and his cult takes shape, gaining followers. He defeats a AI that has gone haywire, and unites the tribes to go on a great war to eliminate the "evil" technology.

Makes it a much more "Grey" area - is the leader really correct that humanity is best at near stone age levels, or can we be trusted with the technology that builds a society, but also can wipe us out in war.

If i designed the legion i would've made them a roving motorized horde descended from old world MCs that originally survived by pilaging and constantly moving in the search for gas, with Hell's Angels-like far right philosophy, nazi ideology, etc.

WHAT A PUNY PLAN!!!!

images

And of course, they'd have crossbows.
Lots of smooth, shiny, intensely sexual arousing crossbows.

Hassknecht said:
And of course, they'd have crossbows.
Lots of smooth, shiny, intensely sexual arousing crossbows.

With strings made off heavily oiled brahmin tendons. Ooooooh yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Faceless Stranger said:
I personally would've made the Legion inspired by Nazi Germany, calling themselves the Fourth Reich, shortened to "The Reich" when brought in outside conversations. They could have been industrial with a large interest in energy weapons mimicking the Nazis' ingenuitive nature by reworking and developing their own crude, but potential-filled energy weapons and robots. In this sense they would've been as advanced if not more so than the NCR, lacking only numbers due to strict criteria for their military men, using those they deem inferior as workers. The soldiers of The Reich could even use German phrases and pronunciation which would seem alot more plausible than latin. Their leader, the Fuhrer, could follow Caesar's opinion that the NCR is a clone of the system that started the war, and want to bring under the flag of their Reich, they could show pro human disposition, having prejudices againdt ghouls and mutants, but allow them in on occasion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that how Enclave were presented in Fallout 2? And as disastrous Fallout 3 was, they still somehow ooze of Nazism. So....as bad and comical Legion in NV, at least the devs gave us something new.

Ever play No One Lives Forever? If you knew H.A.R.M, that's how I want the Legion played out. Colorful, hilarious but still can kick your ass. Look the CL we got, everyone were too damn robotic, they barely show any shred of humanity. Even Enclave in F2 shown that they still living as normal community, aside of killing every outsider.

The thing that ruined the Legion in my opinion was how cartoonishly evil they were, with Caesar not elaborating alot on the supposed redeeming aspects his theoretical synthesis would have. I'd have prefered it if they were a bit more like Neo-Luddites, as mentioned before. Opposed to modern technology and the ways of the ''Old World'', and therefore diametrically opposed to the NCR. I don't really mind the entire Roman Empire aesthetic, it's a nice way to make them unique and make their level of organisation plausible. Perhaps it would be best if they had a kind of ''Barbarian'' feel to them, like that of the ancient Celts. One the one hand they would be very brutal and disorganised, but on the other are less dominating and propose a more natural alternative than the NCR. This would keep the Legion as a faction that can play the bad guy at times, but also have some kind of depth and believability as an alternative to the NCR.

quotetheraven90 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that how Enclave were presented in Fallout 2? And as disastrous Fallout 3 was, they still somehow ooze of Nazism. So....as bad and comical Legion in NV, at least the devs gave us something new.

Aside from the weaker worker thing it was pretty close to the Enclave yeah.

quotetheraven90 said:
Even Enclave in F2 shown that they still living as normal community, aside of killing every outsider.

They were pretty Vault Citish in terms of personal freedoms and dogma but they had friends, lovers, families and commradarie, they're goal was there survival and "the return of the earth to our children and to their children"; obviously much more than can be said for the Legion, they don't even have bonds of commradarie with them being used as fodder a lot of the time.

Can we, y'know, take a break from killing Nazis? Really?

I'd happily replace the NCR with the wasteland nazis though, just to shake shit up a bit.

I would've loved to see some female Frumentarii, nobody would ever expect a Legion spy to be a woman.

No Nazis, please. The Enclave had more than enough of such iconography, and some countries (Germany anyone) would not be pleased by their apearances too.

As for the Legion, make them actually emulate the Roman Empire. Be harsh, but still somewhat fair, providing people inside it a good reason to actually like being there, rather than be bullied and brainwashed into accepting nothing else. Right now they just seem to be a rampaging horde of murderers and rapists with only their leader being anything more than that, not what I call an acceptable and deep faction.

I dunno Ilosar- personally I liked the concept of the Legion as a human wave crashing against the NCR better than the attempts at making them a territorial entity in control of four US states. I think Obsidian could've toned down the rampant sexism as well in order to make the success of the Legion a bit more believable, introducing a more pragmatic approach in order to better exploit the talents and abilities of the other half of their population. Every gang and tribe (Khans, Vipers, Jackals, Fiends) roaming the wasteland in F:NV has loads of females serving both as warriors and leaders, so it makes a lot of sense that the same would be true for a large percentage of the former tribes now comprising the Legion.

James Snowscoran said:
I dunno Ilosar- personally I liked the concept of the Legion as a human wave crashing against the NCR better than the attempts at making them a territorial entity in control of four US states. I think Obsidian could've toned down the rampant sexism as well in order to make the success of the Legion a bit more believable, introducing a more pragmatic approach in order to better exploit the talents and abilities of the other half of their population. Every gang and tribe (Khans, Vipers, Jackals, Fiends) roaming the wasteland in F:NV has loads of females serving both as warriors and leaders, so it makes a lot of sense that the same would be true for a large percentage of the former tribes now comprising the Legion.

But aren't we only seeing legion military branches? I assume they are way less sexist back in the actual country

There's no real reason to believe that. Keep in mind that the Legion is the nation; there's no real distinction between the military and civilian spheres of society.

In any case I've always found the notion that a society comprised almost entirely of tribals would be able to provide effective administration and policing efforts to such vast geographic areas whilst apparently focusing all their efforts on military conquest highly dubious. It would've been far more believable to portray them as a nomadic mass of people attempting to overrun the clusters of civilization flowering in the west.

The Enclave 86 said:
They were pretty Vault Citish in terms of personal freedoms and dogma but they had friends, lovers, families and commradarie, they're goal was there survival and "the return of the earth to our children and to their children"; obviously much more than can be said for the Legion, they don't even have bonds of commradarie with them being used as fodder a lot of the time.

The nazis also had families, lovers, children and care for them, as well the Enclave, and this doesn't made them better people.
In fact is the opposite, thanks to both ideologies. :roll:

My biggest problem with the Legion is how shallow they are portraited. I don't have a slightest problem the way they dress, the culture or the "evil aspect", but most of the Legion is only talked, never showed
Take the Great Khans for example, they are in Red Rock Canyon, an extreme isolated location, they are aware of this and they survive basically scraping what's left of resources and selling chems to the rest of the Mojave.
And the Legion? It's never showed! If I can make it up a logical explanation of why they don't use medicine - wich is dumb as hell, by the way - it's OK. And that's the problem, you make it up whatever you want by the Legion, because the substance of the faction isn't there.
Give me one single town in the game that shows how Legion rule is better than NCR, House, Yes Man or the Followers?

I agree that some lose ends is good for the player's imagination filling the holes, but ALL LOSE ENDS isn't a little too much?

James Snowscoran said:
In any case I've always found the notion that a society comprised almost entirely of tribals would be able to provide effective administration and policing efforts to such vast geographic areas whilst apparently focusing all their efforts on military conquest highly dubious.

Mongols.

The Mongols didn't only have one massive empire, it was several smaller empires made up to look like one massive empire, you dig?

Mr Krepe said:
The Mongols didn't only have one massive empire, it was several smaller empires made up to look like one massive empire, you dig?

It was the largest contiguous empire in the history of the world. Oh, the ignorance.

They couldn't do a Nazi like-organization without Hitler. Hey! I just got a great idea to supplement the OP's. Their leader is a clone of Hitler :D That fits with 50's science fiction right? That would be awesome. Hope you are reading Todd.

Back