Do you want to see player vehicles make a comeback?

aboniks

Still Mildly Glowing
I'd like to, if it can be something other than a poorly planned appendage. NV and FO3 would have been ridiculous with vehicles in them, simply because the maps were too small for that sort of travel.

I can imagine some cool/startling encounters you could have while speeding across the wasteland. I'd like to see a deathclaw initiate combat by jumping out int front of my jeep at night, or see a cazadore splatter all over my windshield.

Anyway, what do you think? Should a future fallout game be designed with vehicle travel as a viable integrated option, or should they stick to the current foot-traffic method?

At the very least the caravans should come back. I liked taking the caravans in Fallout 2. I think a place like Detroit would be a excuse to do a Highwayman, as others have mentioned in the past. It should not be easy to get though, and the fuel should be scarce. I think hardcore mode could add more difficulty to it, so that the car would not be overpowered. I don't want to see every motherfucker in the wasteland with a car or dune buggy though. I will flip out if that happens. That is one reason why I think the vehicle should stay out of the series for the near future. There is too much they can ruin.

I would be more inclined to add a few horses to the series, rather than add a working vehicle with Bethesda's crappy engine.

If the map would get bigger and vics more popular, would that lead to a shift toward a GTA- Fallout?

Ben said:
If the map would get bigger and vics more popular, would that lead to a shift toward a GTA- Fallout?

oh god no. anything but that.

I'll admit to being surprised that all the mountain bikes seem to have been eradicated in the fallout universe. But Grand Theft Huffy doesn't have the same ring to it, I guess.

aboniks said:
Ben said:

I'll admit to being surprised that all the mountain bikes seem to have been eradicated in the fallout universe. But Grand Theft Huffy doesn't have the same ring to it, I guess.

I don't think I would use a bicycle. Skyrim has horses but mounted combat is not an option. So I don't use the horse. Seeing that a bike-by shooting is probably unlikely, my post apocalyptic bike would collect radiation.

I'd be fine with a vehicle if it was implemented in lieu of the actual fast travel mechanism. You "activate" the vehicle, you can fast travel to any discovered location that can be reasonably reached with said vehicle. This would also somehow fix the teleport feature the game had in FO3/NV.

Ben said:
aboniks said:
Ben said:

I don't think I would use a bicycle. Skyrim has horses but mounted combat is not an option.

Actually, there is a possibility that a patch will be released that allows mounted combat. Bethesda already made it as part of their "program whatever you want" thing. I would post the video, but it was removed by some stupid copyright claim.

CthuluIsSpy said:
Ben said:
aboniks said:
Ben said:

I don't think I would use a bicycle. Skyrim has horses but mounted combat is not an option.

Actually, there is a possibility that a patch will be released that allows mounted combat. Bethesda already made it as part of their "program whatever you want" thing. I would post the video, but it was removed by some stupid copyright claim.

I'd like to see that implemented, but there is no jousting (which would kick ass) or even mounted archery. I mean, come on, Zelda 64 had mounted archery. It would make things like hunting bears much easier

If vehicles/mounts were to be used in Fallout you would have to be able to shoot from them - At least from a horse anyway. Otherwise you would be heavily gimped by riding your horse. Cavalry would be pretty useful in the wasteland IMO. They might fail against Power Armor, but against Raiders I think it would work ok.

In the New Vegas comic the NCR seems to use horses, and I think it would work pretty well, also maybe have some carts pulled by brahmin so caravans actually look like caravans. And it could open the window for a return to the "protect the caravans" quests.

Walpknut said:
In the New Vegas comic the NCR seems to use horses, and I think it would work pretty well, also maybe have some carts pulled by brahmin so caravans actually look like caravans. And it could open the window for a return to the "protect the caravans" quests.

If I'm not wrong, All Roads is not completely canon.
It has some continuity errors, both with NV and older installments - appearance of horses is an example. Trying to recall, in Fallout it is said that last horse was killed by raiders...or was it a donkey? You can actually find its skeleton in the game.

Atomkilla said:
Walpknut said:

If I'm not wrong, All Roads is not completely canon.
It has some continuity errors, both with NV and older installments - appearance of horses is an example. Trying to recall, in Fallout it is said that last horse was killed by raiders...or was it a donkey? You can actually find its skeleton in the game.

You could always have a FEV crossbreed similar to a horse.

It's theorized that there were going to be horses implemented, but Bethesda said no because that's an Elder Scrolls thing. Some references to horses are buried in the game's background, such as All Roads.

Tabitha makes reference to "Bear people sitting astride Battle Cattle" which is a possible reference to NCR cavalry - be it horses or riding brahmin. Some even suggest that Rhonda had been damaged in a fight with them.

DevilTakeMe said:
It's theorized that there were going to be horses implemented, but Bethesda said no because that's an Elder Scrolls thing. Some references to horses are buried in the game's background, such as All Roads.

Tabitha makes reference to "Bear people sitting astride Battle Cattle" which is a possible reference to NCR cavalry - be it horses or riding brahmin. Some even suggest that Rhonda had been damaged in a fight with them.

It makes sense for anyone without vehicles to look for some sort of transportation. At one point it will be too absurd not to use something like a Mule, Horse, Molerat, or something. The concept art from Fallout 3 of the molerat rider was pretty awesome. I think it fits the setting. Maybe bring back the giant molerat and make them mounts?

TorontRayne said:
It makes sense for anyone without vehicles to look for some sort of transportation. At one point it will be too absurd not to use something like a Mule, Horse, Molerat, or something. The concept art from Fallout 3 of the molerat rider was pretty awesome. I think it fits the setting. Maybe bring back the giant molerat and make them mounts?

It would have been nice, and it was possible in the engine, as people had created pilotable Vertibirds, bikes and cars for FO3 and New Vegas...

As for molerats, I think people stay away from making mods with molerats ever since that "molerats with boobs" fiasco.

DevilTakeMe said:
Well according to the cut ending of Old World Blues, the Battle Cattle are acually Brahmin, and Tabitha is terrified of them for some reason... and the Think Tank would broadcast a staccato static to make Brahmins into man-eating beasts.

Walpknut said:
Well according to the cut ending of Old World Blues, the Battle Cattle are acually Brahmin, and Tabitha is terrified of them for some reason... and the Think Tank would broadcast a staccato static to make Brahmins into man-eating beasts.

You could argue that Brahmin are Battle Cattle, but it's not conclusive evidence. The cut OWB ending doesn't quite make "Battle Cattle" clear. It refers to giant "Battle Brahmin" that appear from Black Mountain and then "Human Cattle" from the NCR who are brainwashed into thinking they're in Tranquility Lane.

OF course, Nightkin like Tabitha seem to have some weird psychological problems with brahmin. Davison has his brahmin skull, Antler. The stealthed Nightkin in Novac guns down brahmin because he thinks they're screaming at him. Wind Brahmin salesman.

Going back to the subject of vehicles... Old World Blues makes it clear that trains had been running through the area prior to the appearance of Elijah. It would have been nice to see that.

DevilTakeMe said:
Walpknut said:

You could argue that Brahmin are Battle Cattle, but it's not conclusive evidence. The cut OWB ending doesn't quite make "Battle Cattle" clear. It refers to giant "Battle Brahmin" that appear from Black Mountain and then "Human Cattle" from the NCR who are brainwashed into thinking they're in Tranquility Lane.

OF course, Nightkin like Tabitha seem to have some weird psychological problems with brahmin. Davison has his brahmin skull, Antler. The stealthed Nightkin in Novac guns down brahmin because he thinks they're screaming at him. Wind Brahmin salesman.

Going back to the subject of vehicles... Old World Blues makes it clear that trains had been running through the area prior to the appearance of Elijah. It would have been nice to see that.

I think trains will play a important role in the wastelands future. NCR has a huge advantage over other factions because of that. They can move troops and supplies much quicker with a railroad. If they manage to keep the railroad safe from raiders they will be booming before too long - that is if they weren't kicked out of the Mojave....

I think this looks pretty promising. I thought of this thread when I stumbled across the video. I figured it showed a decent portrayal of how vehicles might look in the game. Obviously in a future title it would look a lot better. I think it could be pretty cool if done right.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YIjq0-IuBgc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YIjq0-IuBgc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back