EA 'didn't give a sh*t' about System Shock 3

Tannhauser

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Orderite
A recent article from CVG. Not anything that is really news, but interesting to hear it put out there.

CVG Article said:
Levine: EA 'didn't give a sh*t' about Sys Shock 3
Apparently EA wasn't very interested in a sequel to System Shock 2, according to Irrational's head honcho

Irrational Games is currently beavering away on Bioshock, the game that's been widely dubbed the spiritual successor to the dev's acclaimed System Shock 2, but it turns out the studio could as easily have been developing System Shock 3 - according to Irrational boss Ken Levine, however, EA just wasn't very keen on the idea of a sequel.

Levine has reportedly revealed in an article appearing in PC Gamer (US) magazine that he actually put together a story design for System Shock 3 which EA had, but said that the publisher "didn't give a shit. It's just not their thing".

"One of the reasons I wasn't interested [in System Shock 3] is EA just didn't give a shit about that game", he said, continuing: "I think if EA were to do it, it would've been just a regular first-person shooter with a boss monster at the end".

"They [EA] didn't see it as big brand and I didn't want that uphill battle", Levine further explained. Meanwhile, he took the opportunity to praise Bioshock publisher 2K Games.

"We have a publisher who cares about this game, and they believe in this kind of game. 2K Games is the company that helped reinvigorate Elder Scrolls [with The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion] and Civilization. They believe in core games", Levine said.
-Stuart Bishop

"They [EA] didn't see it as big brand and I didn't want that uphill battle", Levine further explained. Meanwhile, he took the opportunity to praise Bioshock publisher 2K Games.

That explains it all right there...

Well with EA being the biggest publisher and catering to console it just shows there idea of what doesnt sell...

Great find Kotario. It'll make everyone mad.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Vox said:
Who EVER cared about System Shock?

Even Deus Ex haven't sucked so bad!

...ok it did.

Crawl under a rock and die, pls.

"We have a publisher who cares about this game, and they believe in this kind of game. 2K Games is the company that helped reinvigorate Elder Scrolls [with The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion] and Civilization. They believe in core games", Levine said.

You know how much of a shit company EA is when the company responsible for Oblivious is considered good compared to it.

Vox said:
Who EVER cared about System Shock?

Even Deus Ex haven't sucked so bad!

...ok it did.

System Shock and System Shock 2 were FPS games that were far ahead of their time, much like another title that was overlooked, Terra Nova. Yet, EA would rather prefer unimaginative shit like Halo.

Which is exactly why every development house EA has touched has died from corporate stupidity.

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri...

Ah yes, the memories this brings. I believe it was the first original game I ever purchased.

Damn, how I want a sequel to that little underrated gem...

When System Shock 2 came out I thought it heralded the birth of the intelligent shooter. Instead it and Deus Ex heralded the death of the intelligent cRPG. :(

System Shock II was excellent, though given that Bioshock is being developed for a cross-platform release I'm starting to get worried that it's on a similar path as Morrowind after Daggerfall.

BioShock certainly sounds interesting, but we all know how much print can lie.

Looking Glass, Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, Jane's Combat Simulations... all dead under the EA hands.

System Shock and System Shock 2 were FPS games that were far ahead of their time, much like another title that was overlooked, Terra Nova. Yet, EA would rather prefer unimaginative shit like Halo.

Which is exactly why every development house EA has touched has died from corporate stupidity.

terranova was one of the best games I have ever played. How I miss Looking Glass.

Some of the Looking Glass team are in Irrational Games now, also in Arkane Studios. But... it's not the same, It will never be the same.

slamelov said:
Looking Glass, Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, Jane's Combat Simulations... all dead under the EA hands.

Ya, EA is pretty much the downfall of all good games. I'm amazed they even stay in business with all the shit they churn out. They fact that they are douchbags aside, I simply don't find their games to be any fun at all. There are a select few projects they were involved with that I enjoyed (like The Sims) but for the most part, its just crap...

Roshambo said:

Excepy Maxis which I think it's doing well.

Oh and the same thing is posted on PCGAMER US Sept edition.

EA gobble up popular franchises and milk them to death. Take the FIFA games for example, the same shit year after year with minimal changes, perhaps a few cosmetic upgrades and a couple of new players but beyond that they're exactly the same.

If you like the Half-Life franchise avoid buying the boxed versions at all cost (EA are the distributors).

zioburosky13 said:
Excepy Maxis which I think it's doing well.
There is no more Maxis. Like all other dev houses, they were eventually absorbed by EA and ceased to exist (though the process was surprisingly protracted).

mortiz said:
EA gobble up popular franchises and milk them to death. Take the FIFA games for example, the same shit year after year with minimal changes, perhaps a few cosmetic upgrades and a couple of new players but beyond that they're exactly the same.
Plus the standard 'new shiny realism feature' every year that's equally disastrous every year. Except for last year's installment which was supposed to be decent. Nowhere near the PES series, though.

The new rosters are a must, though. People always want to play with the up-to-date teams, not outdated ones.
If you like the Half-Life franchise avoid buying the boxed versions at all cost (EA are the distributors).
That seems rather senseless. How else are you going to buy the games? Through Steam?
Besides, Valve is and has the goal to remain independent indefinitely. Hence why they distribute the game through Steam. They only had EA distribute the game *for* them.

That seems rather senseless. How else are you going to buy the games? Through Steam?
Besides, Valve is and has the goal to remain independent indefinitely. Hence why they distribute the game through Steam. They only had EA distribute the game *for* them.

It depends on the deal Valve has got with EA obviously. It's either to make xxx number of copies and distribute them for xxx number of dollars or EA get a percentage per copy sold. Since it's only a distribution deal and not a publishing deal this'll obviously be a much lower cut. Personally I'd rather put up with the occasional bullshit when downloading from Steam. It also means I don't have to get off my arse. Besides that there's no way of getting around Steam, even if you buy the boxed version. The only thing it'll save you is the initial download. (which, assuming you have a half decent connection and the servers don't collapse, it'll take you about a trip to the shops worth of time)

mortiz said:
It depends on the deal Valve have got with EA obviously. It's either to make xxx number of copies and distribute them for xxx number of dollars or EA get a percentage per copy sold. Personally I'd rather put up with the occasional bullshit when downloading from Steam. It also means I don't have to get off my arse.
Why would you want to punish EA for doing something decent?
Don't buy their crap products, but if you buy good products you'll be encouraging them to get off their ass and create another one of those products.

Sander said:
mortiz said:
It depends on the deal Valve have got with EA obviously. It's either to make xxx number of copies and distribute them for xxx number of dollars or EA get a percentage per copy sold. Personally I'd rather put up with the occasional bullshit when downloading from Steam. It also means I don't have to get off my arse.
Why would you want to punish EA for doing something decent?
Don't buy their crap products, but if you buy good products you'll be encouraging them to get off their ass and create another one of those products.

There're too many people out there that'll happily gobble up The Sims + multiple shitty expansions packs, plus FIFA, plus whatever else cloned sports game EA Sports puts out. People who only want to buy good games I'm afraid are far outnumbered by the masses, who'll buy just about anything so long as it's marketed correctly. What I do in the long run won't make a blind bit of difference to EA. I don't want to buy products from them for my own reasons over those of EA.

mortiz said:
There're too many people out there that'll happily gobble up The Sims + multiple shitty expansions packs, plus FIFA, plus whatever else cloned sports game EA Sports puts out. People who only want to buy good games I'm afraid are far outnumbered by the masses, who'll buy just about anything so long as it's marketed correctly. What I do in the long run won't make a blind bit of difference to EA. I don't want to buy products from them for my own reasons over those of EA.
So you acknowledge that not buying their products won't make a difference at all, so you're basically saying that you're ignoring any good product they might put on the market (and there are some) just....because.

Back