Fallout 2 mod EcCo Gameplay Overhaul (new version for RPU)

Crafting obviously inferior ZipGun from more powerful pipe rifle seems strange... 3AP for a gun is out of the question (there certain perks..).
Not so strange, because 3AP is a fair exchange. :wink:
No, there is no such option in Mr. Fixit. It can be done. Would certainly make crafting more appealing to players who don't want to invest much in Repair, Traps or First aid... Would it not make crafting too overpowered?
In case of Vic - yes, sadly (high Repair, Lockpick and Throwing). Maybe rebalance his skills? :confused:

Generally in English speaking countries the concept of something "making me hard" is considered a good thing, as it relates to the phallus. (erection) Sorry for any confusion.

Generally in English speaking countries the concept of something "making me hard" is considered a good thing, as it relates to the phallus. (erection) Sorry for any confusion.
Ah, sorry :) I googled that already :-P

Have you tried the traps yet? Do you think melee traps make sense? What is better, a bear trap or a spike trap? ) How about reusable melee traps?

Have you tried the traps yet? Do you think melee traps make sense? What is better, a bear trap or a spike trap? ) How about reusable melee traps?
May I answer? :grin:
No. Yes. More possibilities are always better. How about "skip-next-turn" trap? Or "instant-knockdown" trap? Or "paralyze-every-time-perception-or-agility-check-is-failed" trap, so poor enemy could just stay all the time patiently waiting for your strike? :cool: One of the components could be small/big energy cell or two. And dazzling grenade still not implemented. :wink:
Or maybe something a little better suited for energy weapons user like me - tazer? :mrgreen: A little ranged (maybe range 10) damage here, a little knockdown there and tazer could be the very first energy weapon useful on early-mid stages of the game.

No. Yes. More possibilities are always better. How about "skip-next-turn" trap? Or "instant-knockdown" trap? Or "paralyze-every-time-perception-or-agility-check-is-failed" trap, so poor enemy could just stay all the time patiently waiting for your strike? :cool: One of the components could be small/big energy cell or two. And dazzling grenade still not implemented. :wink:
Or maybe something a little better suited for energy weapons user like me - tazer? :mrgreen: A little ranged (maybe range 10) damage here, a little knockdown there and tazer could be the very first energy weapon useful on early-mid stages of the game.
Those are interesting ideas.. Not likely I will do most of them. The real problem is not implementing functionality (scripting), but making graphics for all that. I earn my livings coding, but I'm not good at drawing :) I can find some image and work it in photoshop to properly convert it to fallout format, or apply some filters, that's all. Also, to add new ground trap graphics I will have to add new scenery objects, and I really wanted to avoid that. RP adds a lot of new scenery objects, and if more to come in future - that will be a pain merging it. Also many will people will not like the new graphics, unless it is made by adept.
I'm thinking of some simplier solution - using stone tile trap graphics for melee traps and metal floor for mines. Or better (but harder) - use different misc scenery graphics for traps, depending on ground type (like you concealed the trap, and the trap may be anything from stretching mines to poisinous spikes..): bushes on ground, floor panel on wood and metal floors, etc..
About traps effects.. I think adding a chance of additional "critical" effect (skip turn) for spike trap will be good. Paralyze is interesting, but I fear it may be overpowered (and need additional programming to work).
Dazzling grenade is nice, but thinking about it I doubt it will be interesting for the player to use and how it will fit into fallout world... (harsh place where non-lethal weapons make little sense)

I will think about Tazer if I can find proper image for icon :) Definetely not craftable.

Or better (but harder) - use different misc scenery graphics for traps, depending on ground type (like you concealed the trap, and the trap may be anything from stretching mines to poisinous spikes..): bushes on ground, floor panel on wood and metal floors, etc..
Maybe not better but simple - use different colours for different traps :grin:
About traps effects.. I think adding a chance of additional "critical" effect (skip turn) for spike trap will be good. Paralyze is interesting, but I fear it may be overpowered (and need additional programming to work).
Ok, how about "paralyze-every-time-perception-AND-agility-checks-are-both-failed" trap? Maybe put it on TODO list of some kind of 0.5.x update?
Dazzling grenade is nice, but thinking about it I doubt it will be interesting for the player to use and how it will fit into fallout world... (harsh place where non-lethal weapons make little sense)
You may reconsider dazzling effect if you`ll meet more than three enemies at point-blank range. Metzger and his band are closest example. Or Kaga second and further encounters. Especially when you solo or just married. :oops: Enemies are almost always stronger than you, it`s better to "survive now, kill later" on early stages, imho.
I will think about Tazer if I can find proper image for icon :smile: Definetely not craftable.
Thank you. :clap:
How about a very nice image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser?
120px-Police_issue_X26_TASER-white.jpg

Some update. Added taser as suggested by Effektor (will not be common, don't kill me, purists). Added feature where NPCs skill are used when your character doesn't have enough skill. It can be turned on and off in test0.msg file.

Now I would like some feedback on this feature. Will this make crafting too easy? (basically, all items that require repair skill will always pass because Vic has 75 on stage 1 and it is raised very fast up to 160)
Is there NPCs with very high Doctor or First Aid skills?
I'm considering making two optional versions of crafting config:
a) NPCs help you craft, but some skill requirements are higher (this way you kind of depend on your party, but this is logical and interesting, IMHO)
b) NPCs can't help you and skill requirements remain like now (I've made them quite low, because you can't expect the player to spend many skill points in Repair, Traps, First Aid, etc.)

Still can't figure out how to proceed with traps...

Some update.
Link, please?
Added taser as suggested by Effektor (will not be common, don't kill me, purists).Added feature where NPCs skill are used when your character doesn't have enough skill. It can be turned on and off in test0.msg file.
Oh, just amazing, thanks! :clap: By the way, any hint where I can find/buy tazer before New Reno? Just want to test it on Kaga, yes :mrgreen:
Now I would like some feedback on this feature. Will this make crafting too easy? (basically, all items that require repair skill will always pass because Vic has 75 on stage 1 and it is raised very fast up to 160)
Is there NPCs with very high Doctor or First Aid skills?
1. Not too easy, but usable alternative for easy cheesy caravan`s looting (I mean someone vs someother encounters) imho. However you can always add some other skill checks... outdoorsman, for example.
2. Lenny.
Still can't figure out how to proceed with traps...
Recolour vanilla trap graphics :cool:

Link, please?
I meant informational update for now :-) There is not enough changes yet for new version.

Oh, just amazing, thanks! :clap: By the way, any hint where I can find/buy tazer before New Reno? Just want to test it on Kaga, yes :mrgreen:
Haven't finished this yet, but right now only Vault City sells it. Maybe one store for such "rare" item will be enough and VC is an inevitable place for the player to go.

Recolour vanilla trap graphics :cool:
It's not only graphics but how exactly they should work...

Also I've found out that the engine can't poison another critter except the dude, so all "poisoning" ideas can be ruled out (this can be implemented with sfall global scripts and global vars, but I don't think it is worth it).

I just tested normal dynamite and plastic on some unarmored townsfolk, to my surprise it is quite powerful. So I significantly increased damage of traps armed with those and upped the required skill. This is now the most dangerous types of traps available.

I meant informational update for now :-) There is not enough changes yet for new version.
Awaiting :grin:
It's not only graphics but how exactly they should work...
New idea, how about some kind of "cripple" trap? NPCs can be crippled, at least in RP.
Next, "drop-weapon" trap.
"Fear" trap, if it`s possible without rewrite each critter`s script.
Maybe "instant-critical-miss" trap.
"Choose-random-target-even-own-team" trap looks like fun :mrgreen:

New version is up: http://yadi.sk/d/qLJ3UNlGH9hHr

v0.4.4:
- fixed Smitty dialogue to allow learn crafting after you got a car
- fixed people drop their fist-weapons on death (how would that be possible?)
- fixed "window hang" bug in Poison schematic definition
- new weapon: Taser
- restore Zip Gun in game (craftable)
- party NPC skills used in crafting
- added craftable and installable spike traps (stone plate graphics)
- added configurable friend-or-foe system for traps
- implemented gaining experience points for all trap kills
- slightly reduced 10mm ammo pack size

Some feedback:

- Traps are awesome and add a bit of tactical controll and preparation to fights. I've only tried the spike trap so far, though, but it seems to always make the enemy end their turn so it's a "instant lose turn trap". Might be a bit too good if you can plant a mine field like I do). The fact that you can reuse them pretty much infinitely might be a tad too good.

- The ability to craft grenades is incredible an the tweaks to the throwing skill make it very worthwhile. I installed the most difficult barter variant and am playing on the most difficult setting, but molotovs and home made granades are keeping me in there. Question: If grenades are this good, what's the point of a rocket launcher?

- A lot of the craftables end up worth less than the sum of their parts, and are pretty unusable/obsolete. The barter system makes them even more useless. Combining sharpened poles with knives into spears loses you money (I think, and I think even if you sharpen the spear). So what you end up is a carrying a lot of crafting components around that you don't use instead of a lot of money that you don't use. And you don't have any money.

- A good way to solve the above might be "bring n items for weapon upgrade" dialogue options. Weapon upgrades cost a heck of a lot considering how tight the money is, and if you're running a party and want to have 1-3 different weapons on all your dudes for tactical variety you'll need a lot of it. So places to securely dump off craftables for cash would be rather good.

- I'm having trouble with recipies dissapearing. First it was a whole page of them (can't remembere when), and now that I finaly got my hands on a technical manual, my electronic lockpick recipie dissapeared. The el. lockbick mark II recipie didn't. The first issue solved itself when I discovered new recipies, but since your only hint is that the trainers are in the north I have a feeling I've found all of them (tribal, leather, electronics, medicine - I have no clue if there are any more).

EDIT:

- The recipie for Dynamire seems to include Plastic Explosive, which is much rarer I take it, and I can't find a way to craft it. This an unitentional screwup? Maybe I just haven't found a trainer for crafting plastic explosive, but turning 1 Plastic + 1 Junk into 1 Dynamite seems like a strange ting to do.

- Balthas isn't teaching anything, and I kind of expected him to.

- IDEA for mines/grenades: One thing fallout never could realistically have is a way to "draw aggro". A halucinogen granade which made people fire wildly around for a turn, a hologram mine which made people fire at the hologram for a round or two thinking they're being attacked (use ghost graphics or nightkin graphics), or simply a shock granade which makes whoever threw it a high priority target would all be rather wellcome. If possible to code, ofc.

Last edited:
Some feedback:
- Traps are awesome and add a bit of tactical controll and preparation to fights. I've only tried the spike trap so far, though, but it seems to always make the enemy end their turn so it's a "instant lose turn trap". Might be a bit too good if you can plant a mine field like I do). The fact that you can reuse them pretty much infinitely might be a tad too good.
Thank you for the feedback! It is really useful!
Spike traps can be re-used only 3 times, so it's not infinite. I was thinking of reducing craftable pack from x4 to x2 to counter that. Btw, where did you used the traps? I wasn't yet able to really play-test them with real enemies (only script-generated :) ).

- The ability to craft grenades is incredible an the tweaks to the throwing skill make it very worthwhile. I installed the most difficult barter variant and am playing on the most difficult setting, but molotovs and home made granades are keeping me in there. Question: If grenades are this good, what's the point of a rocket launcher?
When playing last time, I don't remember grenades being that powerful (so you compare them with rocket launcher), I needed at least 3-4 molotovs to kill an average mid-game human guard. And I believe I nerfed them a little bit after that. In vanilla, they were pathetic.
About rocket launcher, It was made more powerful too (20-33% more damage for HE rocket, and extremely high penetration value for AP). Also remember that it is very long range. With enough skill and rockets, you can bring havoc to enemies without them being able to get close. Grenades are always more risk :)

- A lot of the craftables end up worth less than the sum of their parts, and are pretty unusable/obsolete. The barter system makes them even more useless. Combining sharpened poles with knives into spears loses you money (I think, and I think even if you sharpen the spear). So what you end up is a carrying a lot of crafting components around that you don't use instead of a lot of money that you don't use. And you don't have any money.
The crafting system was not designed to make money, but instead to give player an option to exchange some less usable items with more rare/unique items. I'm not surprised that you lose money with hardcore barter settings. To make profit you would need to use more balanced version and pump your barter skill a little bit too.
Some schematics are obsolete (like dynamite from plastic explosive), left from original Mr.Fixit by TeamX. Making spears from poles was mode for one specific purpose - so you can make enough spears for your spike traps early in the game. You can have many spears from random encounters later on (from what I remember), but having a little extra at the start should allow you to hunt geckos with traps, for example.

- A good way to solve the above might be "bring n items for weapon upgrade" dialogue options. Weapon upgrades cost a heck of a lot considering how tight the money is, and if you're running a party and want to have 1-3 different weapons on all your dudes for tactical variety you'll need a lot of it. So places to securely dump off craftables for cash would be rather good.
Not sure about this one. Don't see actually what this will solve. In my game, I was able to make enough money for the upgrades. However... I could make a new item, say "weapon components" crafted from junk that could be given to weapon upgrade dealers instead of money, but..
1) It would require to change several original dialogs. I want to avoid changing story content as much as possible.
2) You'll still need junk and it is already extensively used to craft usable items like grenades and mines.
3) This whole scheme doesn't sound very logical to me...
4) There is always
a dude who upgrade weapons for free..

- I'm having trouble with recipies dissapearing. First it was a whole page of them (can't remembere when), and now that I finaly got my hands on a technical manual, my electronic lockpick recipie dissapeared. The el. lockbick mark II recipie didn't. The first issue solved itself when I discovered new recipies, but since your only hint is that the trainers are in the north I have a feeling I've found all of them (tribal, leather, electronics, medicine - I have no clue if there are any more).
I'll look into that. Maybe there is some kind of bug in craft dialog related to specific combination of learned schematic groups. Schematics are not added one-by-one, but instead unlocked with common global variables.
Have you tried
a car mechanic in Den? and the one in Gecko? Those two are most useful.

Edit:
- IDEA for mines/grenades: One thing fallout never could realistically have is a way to "draw aggro". A halucinogen granade which made people fire wildly around for a turn, a hologram mine which made people fire at the hologram for a round or two thinking they're being attacked (use ghost graphics or nightkin graphics), or simply a shock granade which makes whoever threw it a high priority target would all be rather wellcome. If possible to code, ofc.
I'll think about it :) The problem with special-effect grenades is that it is not possible (AFAIK) with current sfall to list every critter who got damaged by grenade. You can alter hit chance, min/max damage, etc, and get the one critter who got hit, but not all of them. It is possible for mines though. To do this without too much redoing is to make new item like "hallucinogen bomb", that cannot be used directly, only put inside mine trap. That would be not very hard to do. Does it make sense? I never tried to change how enemies choose their targets however, may need additional research.

I was thinking about several ideas:
1) sensor mines, similar to pressure-mines (that you can put any explosive inside), but with range (like 1 hex radius), will use electronic schematics for crafting. Concerns:
a- need to make new graphics for them, not sure how it would look;
b- if you set off an explosion not standing right above it, you receive less damage (which is logical), so they end up actually less powerful than pressure-mines.
2) New craft teachers. I wanted to split advanced drugs to different group. Can you suggest some NPC?
3) more craftable items. Any ideas? (not adding new items in game only to be craft component)

Last edited:
Spike traps can be re-used only 3 times, so it's not infinite. I was thinking of reducing craftable pack from x4 to x2 to counter that. Btw, where did you used the traps? I wasn't yet able to really play-test them with real enemies (only script-generated :) ).

Well, reducing the number of them wouldn't really work as there are pathing idiocies (logical to the point of stupid) with the AI. The AI always tries to take the shortest path towards you, but if you have a party this could mean the shortest path to whoever draws aggro. So you need a bit of a mine field to be sure that at least some will be stepped on but then only the ones that lead towards you will be triggered as each enemy tries to take the exact same path. So you do need quite a few of them if you're using them just to trip opponets up or make them stop (like I'm using them). Making them single use, however, might be a better idea, since you'll always lay down many but never get them all nearly triggered.

Fun things happen when a bunch of enemies try to run up to you, since they all stop at the minefield, and then you party thrower steps around the corner and 3 people eat a grenade or two. (I play with party control and extra move points, I like tactics I guess) Another cool thing is when someone gets through the minefield (some enemies eventually do because they all take the shortest path) and then try to run when focus fired just to run into the minefield which trips them up :)

I've used mines mostly for town encounters, like the Metzger fight. I suppose one could plant mines in the den residential map "party house" in a advance of the tyler gang fight. I used them against raiders when I wiped them out. I suppose you could get mileage out of them in the wanamingo mine and other "dungeons". Whiping out the guys who hold suliks sister might also be an opportunity. If there were a need or a way to predict their movements, you could use them against geckos in Klamath/Toxic Caves. I also used them against the deathclaw in the abbey, and I'm gonna use them against the deathclaw in Modoc if possible. If the game had more scripted fights where you chose when the fight starts they'd be great - for example, I'll do my best to booby trap the hell out of Vault 15 just for the hell of it.

When playing last time, I don't remember grenades being that powerful (so you compare them with rocket launcher), I needed at least 3-4 molotovs to kill an average mid-game human guard. And I believe I nerfed them a little bit after that. In vanilla, they were pathetic.
About rocket launcher, It was made more powerful too (20-33% more damage for HE rocket, and extremely high penetration value for AP). Also remember that it is very long range. With enough skill and rockets, you can bring havoc to enemies without them being able to get close. Grenades are always more risk :)

Makes sense - but having a reliable AoE bomb that early is not something I'm accustomed to. Flare + booze for molotovs means you can spam them, and with a minefield you're guaranteed enemies will clump up at least once during a fight. It's not necessarily OP or anything, it's pretty fun.

The crafting system was not designed to make money, but instead to give player an option to exchange some less usable items with more rare/unique items. I'm not surprised that you lose money with hardcore barter settings. To make profit you would need to use more balanced version and pump your barter skill a little bit too.
Some schematics are obsolete (like dynamite from plastic explosive), left from original Mr.Fixit by TeamX. Making spears from poles was mode for one specific purpose - so you can make enough spears for your spike traps early in the game. You can have many spears from random encounters later on (from what I remember), but having a little extra at the start should allow you to hunt geckos with traps, for example.

Well, I whish there were proper dynamite schematics - I haven't even tried the explosive traps because I'm loath to waste a dynamite on them. Also, not being able to craft rope has you picking up any rope you find an lugging it around (it's bloody heavy for no good reason) in case you want to craft with it. I gave myself 3 levels of strong back just to be able to carry all the stuff around and I'm still weighted down all the time :D And have no money or serious way to earn it.

Also, if you really wanted to hit all the shops you might've missed the "Survival Locker" in Gecko which has good enough prices to make simply not sell anything anywhere but there a logical choice, and I'm not sure if Roenesco's discount sticks if you simply leave the 2nd Salvatore Quest open, but in that case selling anywhere but at Renesco makes no sense.

Not sure about this one. Don't see actually what this will solve. In my game, I was able to make enough money for the upgrades. However... I could make a new item, say "weapon components" crafted from junk that could be given to weapon upgrade dealers instead of money, but..
1) It would require to change several original dialogs. I want to avoid changing story content as much as possible.
2) You'll still need junk and it is already extensively used to craft usable items like grenades and mines.
3) This whole scheme doesn't sound very logical to me...
4) There is always
a dude who upgrade weapons for free..

I'll see how it playes out to the end. I don't like using that guy, he is impossibly better than all other options and I don't like having to go to a city "just for something". Maybe just make the weapon upgrades in general more affordable?

As for the dissapearing schematics:
I've got training from
a hunter in Arroyo, a prisoner in the Den (2 of them), a mechanic in the Den, a mechanic in Gecko and a doctor in Redding. I've got 2 (or 3?) pages of recipies now, and the only thing currently missing is the electronic lockpick

Edit:
I'll think about it :) The problem with special-effect grenades is that it is not possible (AFAIK) with current sfall to list every critter who got damaged by grenade. You can alter hit chance, min/max damage, etc, and get the one critter who got hit, but not all of them. It is possible for mines though. To do this without too much redoing is to make new item like "hallucinogen bomb", that cannot be used directly, only put inside mine trap. That would be not very hard to do. Does it make sense? I never tried to change how enemies choose their targets however, may need additional research.

Any way to do it would be nice, as means of distracting opponents or directing their attention is sorely lacking. Either a "go berserk" like effect, or just an AoE effect with a brutaly high hit chance but an int/per or whatever save to make someone a bigger threat. Hmmm, I think I saw someone who fiddled with it I'll see what I can scrounge up.

1) sensor mines, similar to pressure-mines (that you can put any explosive inside), but with range (like 1 hex radius), will use electronic schematics for crafting. Concerns:
a- need to make new graphics for them, not sure how it would look;
b- if you set off an explosion not standing right above it, you receive less damage (which is logical), so they end up actually less powerful than pressure-mines.
2) New craft teachers. I wanted to split advanced drugs to different group. Can you suggest some NPC?
3) more craftable items. Any ideas? (not adding new items in game only to be craft component)

1) If you mean traps that no only have an AoE blast, but an AoE trigger area? That would be impossibly good to adress the monomaniacal pathing tendencies the AI has. It doesn't have to be high tech, tripwire is all you need. Allthough you can make high tech ones if you really want :D

2) You've got loads of dealers, chemists and doctors all over the place. The problem is that hard drugs are a bit like save game editors, and once you can have as much as you like you break any sense of being constricted by stats. If you make mentats available before the VC citizenship test, anyone can munch on a bunch an become a citizen immediately (not that they don't allready). There's allso shennanigans with buffouts. Jet is harmless in that regard but a lot of the in-story stuff is about how only Mordinos/Myron controll how it's made. Psycho's relatively harmless, except you win any fight with it, and rad-away and rad-x are completely useless except they're what I use instead of paper money in the regular RP - I only use gold for quests, implants and such dialogue options. The original game isn't so much broken because there's a ton of gold - there's in fact a lack of gold as such, but that there's tons of vendors who let you turn items with weight into weightless chems which are worth good money and are either cheats or useless.

You might want to consider that if you're trying to balance the economy (and you're doing great so far AFAIC). Gold is only there to pay for gold sinks and quests but is not all that common. Ammo is like money except it has weight. Chems are like money which is far more plentiful but you can't pay dialogue choice options with it.

If you do want an advanced drugs tutor, I'd suggest either the VC doctor, Myron, or the SF doctor. For the VC doctor you obviously have to be in VC allready. Myron "teaches" you how to make jet anyway, but cannonicaly you need very specific brahmin dung and ampoules (you'd need to add both, and it'd make no sense). Or you could make a quest about finding a better way to make jet that is less addictive involving myron, but then you have a non-addictive AP booster which you can craft, possibly from Jet + say Rad-X. Hmmmmm! If you made all the useless drugs into components for actually moderately useful ones that'd be cool (except I have no clue what those would be except possibly drugs that temporarily boost skills). The SF doctor comes into play so late that you can give him anything, by that point any char is godlike anyway.

3) If you mean new crafting combinations with existing items - meat jerky, iguana on a stick and meat on a stick seem to have no use most of the time. I'd use them for extending the radius of traps against animals (rats, gecko's, deathclaws, even non-humanoid mutants). I'd love to see flowers, fruit and make up combine into a camouflage kit that boosts your sneak skill temporarily. The radioactive booze can probably make good components for granades (Funny flare alternative - 2 Jimmy Hats + Radioactive Booze + Fruit = minor damage, make landing spot glow and blind target hit for a turn or two). I also wouldn't mind a poison alternative to scorpion tail as those are murderous to lug around.

Anywho, sorry for long textwall, take from it what you want...

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. Really glad that these traps finally useful to someone. I spent a lot of hours scripting them :)

Well, reducing the number of them wouldn't really work as there are pathing idiocies (logical to the point of stupid) with the AI. The AI always tries to take the shortest path towards you, but if you have a party this could mean the shortest path to whoever draws aggro. So you need a bit of a mine field to be sure that at least some will be stepped on but then only the ones that lead towards you will be triggered as each enemy tries to take the exact same path. So you do need quite a few of them if you're using them just to trip opponets up or make them stop (like I'm using them). Making them single use, however, might be a better idea, since you'll always lay down many but never get them all nearly triggered.
I think I'll reduce number of charges to 2 then. Single-use melee traps still seems to me too harsh (they are not nearly as powerful as explosive ones).

Makes sense - but having a reliable AoE bomb that early is not something I'm accustomed to. Flare + booze for molotovs means you can spam them, and with a minefield you're guaranteed enemies will clump up at least once during a fight. It's not necessarily OP or anything, it's pretty fun.
I never found a large supply of Flares anywhere in the game, so it seemed to me that amount of molotovs is pretty well balanced (this unchanged from TeamX version of Mr.Fixit).

Well, I whish there were proper dynamite schematics - I haven't even tried the explosive traps because I'm loath to waste a dynamite on them. Also, not being able to craft rope has you picking up any rope you find an lugging it around (it's bloody heavy for no good reason) in case you want to craft with it. I gave myself 3 levels of strong back just to be able to carry all the stuff around and I'm still weighted down all the time :D And have no money or serious way to earn it.
I found dynamite not very useful to be crafted, but it is very common in shops. Explosives are made from certain chemicals that are not present in the game...
About explosive traps - you do realize that you can use any types of grenades and molotovs, yes? )

Also, if you really wanted to hit all the shops you might've missed the "Survival Locker" in Gecko which has good enough prices to make simply not sell anything anywhere but there a logical choice, and I'm not sure if Roenesco's discount sticks if you simply leave the 2nd Salvatore Quest open, but in that case selling anywhere but at Renesco makes no sense.
I'll see to it. However, It was my intention that scripted discounts works in the same magnitude as vanilla game (for example, the original "Barter Mod" by Nirran was made so discounts don't work, I've always felt that it's a loss).
I want to mention also that scripted discounts only affect buying prices, not selling prices. So you won't make more money selling to Renesco, but instead you can buy more items for the same money (if you need his chems at all, that is).

As for the dissapearing schematics:
I've got training from
a hunter in Arroyo, a prisoner in the Den (2 of them), a mechanic in the Den, a mechanic in Gecko and a doctor in Redding. I've got 2 (or 3?) pages of recipies now, and the only thing currently missing is the electronic lockpick
A prisoners in Den? What are you talking about? :-D

1) If you mean traps that no only have an AoE blast, but an AoE trigger area? That would be impossibly good to adress the monomaniacal pathing tendencies the AI has. It doesn't have to be high tech, tripwire is all you need. Allthough you can make high tech ones if you really want :D
Yep. High-tech means that it is more difficult to craft (for traps with most stopping power, that is logical), and also sensor mines (equal radius effect) much easier to script than tripwire (which should expand in specific direction, etc.).

2) You've got loads of dealers, chemists and doctors all over the place. The problem is that hard drugs are a bit like save game editors, and once you can have as much as you like you break any sense of being constricted by stats. If you make mentats available before the VC citizenship test, anyone can munch on a bunch an become a citizen immediately (not that they don't allready). There's allso shennanigans with buffouts. Jet is harmless in that regard but a lot of the in-story stuff is about how only Mordinos/Myron controll how it's made. Psycho's relatively harmless, except you win any fight with it, and rad-away and rad-x are completely useless except they're what I use instead of paper money in the regular RP - I only use gold for quests, implants and such dialogue options. The original game isn't so much broken because there's a ton of gold - there's in fact a lack of gold as such, but that there's tons of vendors who let you turn items with weight into weightless chems which are worth good money and are either cheats or useless.
Currently there is only psycho (agility, damage resistance) and new fire resistance drug. Hard drugs are not craftable and I'm not planning it.

If you do want an advanced drugs tutor, I'd suggest either the VC doctor, Myron, or the SF doctor. For the VC doctor you obviously have to be in VC allready. Myron "teaches" you how to make jet anyway, but cannonicaly you need very specific brahmin dung and ampoules (you'd need to add both, and it'd make no sense). Or you could make a quest about finding a better way to make jet that is less addictive involving myron, but then you have a non-addictive AP booster which you can craft, possibly from Jet + say Rad-X. Hmmmmm! If you made all the useless drugs into components for actually moderately useful ones that'd be cool (except I have no clue what those would be except possibly drugs that temporarily boost skills). The SF doctor comes into play so late that you can give him anything, by that point any char is godlike anyway.

3) If you mean new crafting combinations with existing items - meat jerky, iguana on a stick and meat on a stick seem to have no use most of the time. I'd use them for extending the radius of traps against animals (rats, gecko's, deathclaws, even non-humanoid mutants). I'd love to see flowers, fruit and make up combine into a camouflage kit that boosts your sneak skill temporarily. The radioactive booze can probably make good components for granades (Funny flare alternative - 2 Jimmy Hats + Radioactive Booze + Fruit = minor damage, make landing spot glow and blind target hit for a turn or two). I also wouldn't mind a poison alternative to scorpion tail as those are murderous to lug around.
Non-addictive AP booster seems excess to me. I don't feel bad being a jet-junkie :)
Skill-boosting is not possible with normal drug items. I'll see if I can do it with scripts.
Camouflage kit sound pretty good (with new stealth options). I also think temp carry-weight buff will be useful to salvage stuff from battlefield to nearest shop :)

Don't see how meat would extend trap radius :D it's a pressure plate after all. All eatables are waiting for a starvation mod (personally, don't think such mods fit into Fallout where you travel across wasteland for weeks...), or maybe cooked into some food objects that will increase health without side effects (like cheap stimpacks).

EDIT:
Quick fix for disappearing schematics: http://yadi.sk/d/maWyaatHHN3UA (place it in your data\scripts\ folder, replacing old file).
As I thought it was Mr.Fixit bug. I'm thinking to replace page-based item selection with category-based.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. Really glad that these traps finally useful to someone. I spent a lot of hours scripting them :)

I think I'll reduce number of charges to 2 then. Single-use melee traps still seems to me too harsh (they are not nearly as powerful as explosive ones).

Not the way I'm using them. See, when they're stepped on the guy who steps on them always ends their turn immideately or even trips up. Their damage is negligable - but their CC element is awesome. It might even be OP or gamebreaking, it might not, but Fallout has no spells and anything that makes fights more than just shootouts is very, very pleasing.

One thing you probably should consider, though, and I forgot to mention. It's more important than anything else I've said. Mines need to be planted in advance of the fight, but even with a high sneak, if you arm them near someone they'll aggro. I'm not saying one hex away, but like 5 or so. In fights where I want to use them, like the metzger one, this rather constricts where I can plant them, and if I want them triggered I have to plant a lot of them. In the wanamingo mines lvl3 if you aggro one alien, you aggro pretty much the whole map, and once you're in combat you can't plant mines any more. This makes setup difficult - I can have 4 turns of stitting around with aliens trekking across the map and I can't plant a mine. With shooting enemies it's even more difficult since they'll never advance towards your mine, and if you run, god know if they'll advance towards the mine or not. The only situation where you're mostly sure is if you can plant the mines at a corner.

Anyhow, there's pathig aggro issues currently, when I can be more clear about it I'll report.

I never found a large supply of Flares anywhere in the game, so it seemed to me that amount of molotovs is pretty well balanced (this unchanged from TeamX version of Mr.Fixit).

Forget about it, they're nicely balanced, it's just that they introduce AoE capabilities before I'm used to having them and this is a good thing.

I found dynamite not very useful to be crafted, but it is very common in shops. Explosives are made from certain chemicals that are not present in the game... About explosive traps - you do realize that you can use any types of grenades and molotovs, yes? )

Oooooh, had no clue! Well, that's great, now I'll surely use them. However, there's a slight catch - if I plant a minefield of spike traps, opponents who run into them will stop and clump up - then I hit them with a grenade. If I plant the grenade, the first guy will trigger it. Sure, I get a grenade hit for no AP cost, but the other way I round I can kill/damage/knockback 2-4 guys for one hit which is much better.

Also - common in shops means nothing with the bartering changes at harsh. In the regular RP I can always afford the leather armom in Klamath, with you mod the only reason I got leather at all was because I could craft it. Since I don't kill the gun merchants in the Den (prefer to have more merchants on the map) it took me a while to get my hands on a magnum, too (which is great).

As for realism with crafting - too much realism is a trap. If inhaling brahmin farts makes you able to fire off more shots, and the game breaks the 4th wall about as often as it tries to play it safe, I'd wager being able to craft dynamite from components other than the ones we curently use is not too much of a stretch. Call it a scientific advance, we discovered that... idk... lots of jet + someting less common can be used to make dynamite.

I'll see to it. However, It was my intention that scripted discounts works in the same magnitude as vanilla game (for example, the original "Barter Mod" by Nirran was made so discounts don't work, I've always felt that it's a loss). I want to mention also that scripted discounts only affect buying prices, not selling prices. So you won't make more money selling to Renesco, but instead you can buy more items for the same money (if you need his chems at all, that is).

IDK, but it affects the exchange rates. In vanilla RP most of the trading I ever do is change heavy stuff into less heavy stuff. Stuff I can't carry around is not worth anything to me, if I can dump it off for stimpacks and chems somewhere I make money. With the exchange rates so terrible elsewhere, getting a stimpack at a big discout is a huge deal.

A prisoners in Den? What are you talking about? :-D
Vic teaches electronics and leatherworking. This might be a bit much, because it lets you deck out yourself, him and sulik in leather right away for 1000/500, some rope and a bunch of gecko pelts. Seeing how the exchange rates are terrible and all you really want to buy is armor anyway I'd say maybe move the leatherworking to balthas in Modoc (which would put more worth on modoc)

Yep. High-tech means that it is more difficult to craft (for traps with most stopping power, that is logical), and also sensor mines (equal radius effect) much easier to script than tripwire (which should expand in specific direction, etc.).

Again, insisting too much on realism constrains your options. Tripwire can be placed in a cicular fashion to get a simmilar effect, and if you use it you can use trappers in gecko trapper town to teach you how to make a simple tripwire trap with a 1 hex radius.

I think someone once wrote that iguana on a stick and meat jerky are scripted to attract gecko's anyway somehow, so if that's true then there's a script which controlls pathing in a way. So trappers could teach you to make traps with such lures which use that script to make animals beeline for them. This would help with fighting golden gecko's without much weaponry in the early game. Just saying.

Skill-boosting is not possible with normal drug items. I'll see if I can do it with scripts.
Camouflage kit sound pretty good (with new stealth options). I also think temp carry-weight buff will be useful to salvage stuff from battlefield to nearest shop :)

Oooh, the carry weight boost sounds nice! Also, I've played around with the extra ranged and extra hth damage perks, and they don't seem too powerful (the later the game goes, the less significant they seem). Having temporary small boosts of damage might even be ok. Just saying because there's not all that many things to boost in the game...

EDIT:
Quick fix for disappearing schematics: http://yadi.sk/d/maWyaatHHN3UA (place it in your data\scripts\ folder, replacing old file).
As I thought it was Mr.Fixit bug. I'm thinking to replace page-based item selection with category-based.

Ty! :)

Edit: One area where you could add a proper trainer or even a vendor is the Ghost Farm. It's hugerly underutilized and tere's nothing happening down there. And the Modoc area doesn't have a proper shop anyway.

Last edited:
May I suggest "heavy weapon for beginners"? :grin: Something like grenade thrower so you can throw grenades using your Big guns skill instead of Throwing. I think range 15 should be enough.

The alien's in the wanamingo mines deffinitely have huge too big an aggro range which is causing problems with setting mines. If one of your party guys wonders a step too close while you're setting traps, combat starts. Otherwise the mines would be ideal there.

Also, it might be a very good idea to reduce the weight of certain stuff, particularly the low cost stuff. The spike traps weighting 5 is deffinitely too much. Also, the rope and junk items are way too heavy now that you want to collect them (they always were but noone ever collected them). Next time I make a playthrough I'll simply make leather armors out of gecko pelts because they seem to weight less than the rope used to make them. This is inpossibly silly, because if I just want to collect rope to be able to make spike traps whenever I find spears, I'm better off carrying a huge stack of leather armors. Lol.

Also, there's an inordinary ammount of shovels in the game (practicaly everywhere where you might want a shovel, an then some). There's also a huge number of crowbars all togather, as well as sledgehammers. I'd love to be able to do anything at all with them. Really, anything.

EDIT: There's also a bug - a wanamingo stepped on a spike mine and "I got 600 XP for a kill", except the kill didn't happen - it was the first round of combat, he wasn't even scratched.

EDIT: Bug no.2 - using the burst on the silver shotgun (which you modified I think) seems to crash the game for me. Not always, though.

Last edited:
Hotfix for a bug when you get trap kill XP but the target isn't dead (includes previous fix): http://yadi.sk/d/CwXEIW2DHTc4v
Unpack files to data/scripts folder, overwriting.

EDIT: Bug no.2 - using the burst on the silver shotgun (which you modified I think) seems to crash the game for me. Not always, though.
Does this happens often? What shotgun are you refering to?

Back