Escape from New York gets new lease on life

Welcome to the age of remakes; "Until it is bled dry! (Even then the bones will be powdered and sold for more cash)"

Target demographics

Since target demographics are 18-25 and R rated movies aren't generally seen by those younger than 15, you have to remake R rated movies at least every 10 years. You have to.

Oh no. Sucks when movies I grew up with get remade and become "the old versions." Makes me feel old.

Plus, TEFNY is still awesome enough to have something like a remastered edition instead of a remake.

Dragula said:
Ew.
Why remake something that is already fucking amazing?

A similar question could be asked as to why they are remaking Red Dawn.

There is absolutely no way it can reach the glory of the original.

First movies ... then games ... what about books ?

We have already remakes of remakes that have been remakes ...

Crni Vuk said:
First movies ... then games ... what about books ?

We have already remakes of remakes that have been remakes ...

Catcher in the Rye needs a reboot. The Works of Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft need somebody to insert a Spunky Kid with a heart of gold into them. Mark Twain needs to be re-written to be more ethnically divesre.

Re: Target demographics

TyloniusFunk said:
Since target demographics are 18-25 and R rated movies aren't generally seen by those younger than 15, you have to remake R rated movies at least every 10 years. You have to.

Wow. I remember watching "The Excorcist" when I was about 8. Misery when I was a bit older than that.

I go see an R-Rated film in the theatre now a days and it's filled with kids under 17. Sometimes I see parents that bring their kids under freakin' 10. Are you kidding me?

Bal-Sagoth said:
A similar question could be asked as to why they are remaking Red Dawn.

There is absolutely no way it can reach the glory of the original.
They're remaking Red Dawn also!?

Fuck, remake all of the 80s when you're at it. Gogo ABBA-remakes.

You would think that if the studios wished to avoid generating ill-will among existing fans (who are potential customers), they would follow some sort of guidelines to at least give off a respectful attitude. My suggestions:
1) Before you try to remake movies that really worked, remake movies that had a good concept, but failed in getting that onto the screen.
2) Before you try to remake a movie that seems just as entertaining today as when it was first made, remake movies that feel extremely dated.
3) Before you name a movie Movie Title (2010) consider naming it something else, so fans of Movie Title (1980) don't get upset.
4) If you have to remake a movie, be sure that you are keeping the elements that make the movie entertaining, and only adding things that will make it better.
5) Be sure obviously credit the original movie in the opening credits - I don't think the "original story/concept by Name" gives enough credit to the entire cast and crew of the previous movie that laid the groundwork.

They should remake Escape from LA instead, and make it slightly more tolerable to watch.

I cringe from these remakes. Why DO they have to remake/reimagine every bloody thing that has a cult following?

I especially love the "exact" remakes like Psycho and that wonderful remake of "[Rec]". And still these people don't realize that pretty much duplicating the exact freakin' movie doesn't make a good movie.

Then again, it's about making money. Not making good films.

Back